Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 3rd, 2013, 12:30 pm

I've had my eye on the game since it came out last year, but I've been waiting for this expanded edition to hit $20.  Last week it did.

The game is every bit as good as I thought it would be.  The combat is very fluid and feels fun.  The graphics are pretty good, though the pop up/draw distance is laughably bad.  I really appreciate how short the story sequences are.  Also being able to skip through voice over dialogue is great.

I'm only a few hours in but I'm really enjoying myself.  I love how you always have a party of NPCs that competently fight alongside you.  As a rogue I can step back and fire arrows from afar while my fighters get up close and personal.  

I'll try to provide some more updates as I get deeper into the game.  So far...excellent hack n slash, action RPG!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 3rd, 2013, 12:54 pm

For those that don't know, Dragon's Dogma - Dark Arisen is available for Playstation Plus subscribers free of charge this month.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/04/ps-plus-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-free-for-members/

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 3rd, 2013, 1:07 pm

Damn!  That's a pretty sweet deal for Playstation Plus members.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 3rd, 2013, 4:54 pm

Pretty cool, huh?

After E3 this year Sony announced that they would offer X-Com for free, so I bit and signed up. For the last six months I've been stockpiling games like crazy.  My 80GB harddrive could barely hold anything so I swapped it out with a 1TB drive.  Now, I've got an awesome library of games for the PS3, Vita, and PSP.  

Amazon on Black Friday offered a Vita for $175 with four games.  Combine that with a pretty substantial backlog of Vita games from PS+ and I've got way more games to play than the time to do so.

I've got to say that Microsoft offers a way better service for playing games with friends but Sony offers a way better service for collecting games.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » December 3rd, 2013, 5:35 pm

i love this game! cant wait for the sequel!

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » December 3rd, 2013, 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]....  The graphics are pretty good, though the pop up/draw distance is laughably bad.  [/QUOTE]

Due to the size of the game, you will need to install an HD Update which is located on Disc 2 (need to manually install it).  With the additional content, there was not enough room on the first disc so they had to out this update on a separate disc.  This should greatly enhance the graphical presentation.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 3rd, 2013, 5:55 pm

It's definitely one of the best games I've ever played!

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 3rd, 2013, 9:36 pm

My wife got me that Vita bundle for Xmas, looking forward to checking it out. I have dozens of games to play for next to nothing thanks to PS+. Love that service. This month the newest Sonic racing game is going to be free for the vita, that's cool.

Oh and I played about ten hours of this game. I love the combat and the environments. Not too heavy on the dialogue or plot which I like. For free you can't beat it, great game.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » December 3rd, 2013, 10:04 pm

Couple questions please if you will.

1. Is this a living world?
----- Do enemies from different factions or tribes kill each other?
----- Are there un-killable characters in this game?

As odd as it may seem it was those differences from Fallout 3 to Skyrim that made me love Fallout and became bored with Skyrim.

Return to “Now Playing”