Do we need a third competitor?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » December 12th, 2013, 4:42 pm

It seems like the big 3 are all failing us. Microsoft has a great controller, but has questionable and somewhat shady techniques, and just re-used an existing UI for their system, not to mention no backwards compatibility (OUCH!), Nintendo has some high quality games, and they support component (you know, just in case you want HD and you have no free HDMI ports!). But they are still lacking and they delayed great games. And no games really use the gamepad to the full extent. Sony is also lacking component (doh!) and the lack of backwards compatibility is ASTOUNDING. Not to mention the day one update. All 3 lack a big step forwards in terms of graphics. They're all becoming mediocre! This brings up the question, do we need a third competitor? You may call me crazy but I've become confident that we need a third console manufacturer to fill the gap of mediocrity. Personally I'd like Ubi-Soft to step in. they've been making killer games lately, and I'd love to see their hardware if they so made it. It'd be AMAZING.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 12th, 2013, 11:03 pm

I strngly disagree that the big three are "failing" us, they all deliver their own unique experiences.

Considering some of Ubisoft's quesitonable business practices in regards to DRM, i'm not so sure I trust them to make a console, and they don't have millions to blow like the big three do, so I just don't see it happening.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » December 13th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Nah we have plenty of options, Ouya/Gamestick, PC's, Mobile/Tablet gaming plus the big boys PS4/Xbone/Wii U. Gaming has never been so diverse.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 13th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I don't think a fourth (not really third) would really do much. Making consoles is expensive and most of them flop quite hard. If the past is any indication it would take a company with a lot of money or a lot of good decisions to come out and be a strong fourth console. Now that all the consoles are out I really doubt a big fourth console will risk coming out unless they can show they have a lot more to offer then the other consoles. Even then, it is an uphill battle that costs a lot of money in advertising and securing strong titles to really make it. The best time for a console like that to come out would have been before the release of the Xbox One and PS4, but now that consumers have a choice I am pretty sure few people will want to risk a shaky new competitor coming into the market. Who knows. I highly doubt it though.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » December 14th, 2013, 11:55 am

I have to admit it would be nice to have a fourth,but it's really not needed either.

Hell with how expensive games are to make these days,and the mass flood of indie games and smart phone and tablet gaming.

It's entirely possible that a fourth entry would just cause a crash.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » December 14th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Or a fourth could actually lead the pack. Imagine if it was cheaper than every other alternative by about 50 bucks. And games were 40 instead of 60. It could dominate if they played their cards right.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 14th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Being cheaper wouldn't automatically be a gurantee it would sell better, the games and the system itself would actually have to be good.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » December 15th, 2013, 1:35 am

I can see why UBI Soft, Rockstar, Bethesda, etc would not want to make a console. The fast money simply does not exist. When companies like Microsoft and Sony put out consoles, they largely see little, if any profit from the hardware end for quite some time, at least until prices for components come down. They largely rely on software, and the processes that companies like UBI Soft use to make software for the respective systems to make the cash. Also, I really fail to see how UBI Soft would be any good at all at making hardware. Just because they can come up with nice looking games, doesn't mean they no diddly about the hardware end.

If anything, I would love to see Sega make a comeback in the hardware game. Although, I am pretty sure that Sega has had their fill as well.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » December 15th, 2013, 10:45 am

It'd have to be Apple or Panasonic or the return of Sega at this point. Strictly gaming companies are the exception,not the norm.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » December 15th, 2013, 11:27 am

I've very interested in what the Steam console may be able to do.  Many are dismissing it out of hand, but I would never count Steam out in anything they try.  Could be a new, fresh take on console gaming and may actually teach the Big Boys a thing or two about how to innovate!

Return to “Modern Gaming”