2013/12/17: Playstation 2: Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Collection

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2013/12/17: Playstation 2: Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Collection

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 17th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Here are two reviews I've been working on for a while.

I prefer the PS2 version of Mega Man Collection over the Xbox edition, mainly due to the audio quality.

The GameCube edition of Mega Man X Collection is identical to the PS2 game as far as I can tell.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » December 17th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Only a B- on both?  Especially since some of the individual games scored A's!  One feature added to these games that wasn't in the original NES games was getting hints to guide you along the way instead of charging blindly without direction.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 17th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Honestly, I don't think I'll ever forgive Megaman X's "Humans are the ultimate good/aniemuls r ebul" type setting. It gives the game a feel that's way too depressing for me to have fun with it. Plus, the whole "Humans are perfect/aniemuls r ebul" type mindset is something I see way too much these days, which makes it even worse for me. The games themselves, without it, would be a blast to play for me as they really are good games, but I strongly despise those types of settings. I know games are for playing, but still. I just can't do it. All in all, I'll stick with the original series.

That being said, the original Megaman games are timeless classics. I always find myself playing those games, and someday I wish I could play Megaman's 9 and 10.

(Before anyone says "It's no worse than things depicting humans as the ultimate evil," honestly IMO it is. I could go on a rant about it, but this is about Megaman games so I won't.)

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » December 17th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Good reviews. I can see why the X collection got a B- as X5 and X6 are definitely a step down from the excellent predecessors but I figured that the original collections might have gotten a better review. Still, these are great collections. I own both and have played them quite a bit. I still prefer to play them on the original consoles but for the price you can't beat the deal (especially since both are really cheap).

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 18th, 2013, 1:26 am

Personally I think that's a silly reason to avoid playing the games, I wasn't a big fan of the overall message of Spec Ops: The Line but I still enjoyed the game nonetheless.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » December 18th, 2013, 8:12 am

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Splash
Honestly, I don't think I'll ever forgive Megaman X's "Humans are the ultimate good/aniemuls r ebul" type setting.[/QUOTE]

Well, when your opinions are the the fringe of the fringe-- all humans are terrible and all animals are superior-- I'm surprised you could happy with anything at all.  Also, I've played all the X games and I have no idea what you're talking about.  It seems like posted to troll or you believe your PETA/anti-human stuff so blindly, you've forgotten which games are even relevant to your plight.

Anyway, love these series more than most.  I would argue that when the compilations offer some of the greatest side-scrolling games of all time in a full collection, a B- is too low a score.  Personally, they would both get an A from me, but again, I'm a huge fan.  Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man X, and Mega Man X4 would all make my top 30 games of all time.  And it's important to note that the controls are perfect (and customizable) on PS2.  Now you can relegate dashing to a shoulder button on the SNES games (X - X3)!

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 18th, 2013, 9:45 am

[QUOTE=JWK][QUOTE]Originally Posted by Splash
Honestly, I don't think I'll ever forgive Megaman X's "Humans are the ultimate good/aniemuls r ebul" type setting.[/QUOTE]

Well, when your opinions are the the fringe of the fringe-- all humans are terrible and all animals are superior-- I'm surprised you could happy with anything at all.  Also, I've played all the X games and I have no idea what you're talking about.  It seems like posted to troll or you believe your PETA/anti-human stuff so blindly, you've forgotten which games are even relevant to your plight.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much "All humans are evil/All animals are good," or anything like that, which is untrue. Good people definitely exist. It's in general the lack of consideration shown towards non-humans in this day in age, while anyone who truly cares about them are labeled as evil wastes of oxygen. Plus, I rarely see subjects of animal cruelty taken seriously, where things involving humans are taken VERY seriously, so I don't get as angry at games where you fight my species.  It's a hugely controversial subject for me, which is why I have a hard time having fun with a game like Megaman X.

I think it would have helped if Megaman X had a Rush or, well, SOMETHING really. The only allies X gets are other humanoid robots, which for me gives a feeling of "Hoomans R teh ultuhmit gud!" type setting. I in no way have anything against games where humans are the goodguys, but games where basically everything else is evil don't sit right with me.

Also, I'm not even trying to force my opinion on you this time.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » December 18th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Yeah now that you mention it, I do remember someone making the exact same illogical rant.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » December 18th, 2013, 1:36 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]Oh lawd, am I having deja vu? Wasn't there some commenter a while back going on about this whole animal/person thing? Is this the same dude/dudette?

These are 8/16 bit games. I remember in the Rambo NES game you actually had Rambo fighting butterflies. I mean, c'mon.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's me. Hello again. [tongue]

...I supposed I shouldn't have brought it up, though. Still, sometimes I wish there were others who understood how I felt with those kind of scenarios.

Return to “Review Feedback”