Best Music in a game icon

General and high profile video game topics.
kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » January 18th, 2014, 9:55 am

NES: Journey to Silius, Silver Surfer, Gremlins 2, all Castlevania, all Mega Man, Metroid.

SNES: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 2&3, Actraiser, Lufia 2.

Genesis: All the Sonic games, Golden Axe,  the intro to  The Terminator was pretty darn good.

N64: Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Saturn: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Albert Odyssey

I'm sure there are quite a few more games I forgot but this is what I could come up with on the top of my head.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 18th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Donkey Kong Country games on the SNES, Anything by Rare, Any Zelda game, most Mario games, Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem Awakening, Paper Mario, Jet Force Gemini, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, etc. 

Especially The Donkey Kong Country games. Mindblowing music quality.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » January 18th, 2014, 5:09 pm

I'd suggest the critic look for all the reviews where he has praised the music, as it wouldn't make sense if the icon were added to a bunch of games where the reviews don't even mention the music (i.e which may be the case if he listens to our suggestions).

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 18th, 2014, 5:47 pm

I second/third the Journey to Silius NES game.  The first level had some awesome tunes.

And this of course might be over kill but Guitar Hero!

[wink]

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 18th, 2014, 10:34 pm

I'd also like to throw in Solstice and Silver Surfer, both for NES. The games aren't very good but the music is incredible.
And on the offhand chance that this site gets some more RPG reviews, I'd say Final Fantasy VIII and Persona 3 both deserve this icon. Because I'd say this song I'm about to link is the best video game music ever. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » January 20th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Rygar NES-  Great soundtrack, with  Sagilia's Cave being one of my all time favorite tunes.
Double Dragon NES/Arcade- Excellent Soundtrack as well, with the second half of the final stage/main theme also  being one of my all favorite tunes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Honorable  Mention:                                                                                                                                                                           Double Dragon 2 NES - Main theme is real good.                                                                                                                                    Donkey Country SNES- Particularly  Kannons Klaim/Mining Melancholy                                                                                                 Bad Dudes NES- Levels 2 & 5 are the best of the bunch to an all around good soundtrack.  I feel the NES version trumps the arcade in the music department.                                                                                                         

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 21st, 2014, 2:36 pm

Well, I added the "great music" icon and took a lot of your suggestions into account.

I searched my reviews for phrases like "fantastic soundtrack" and "excellent music".  Apparently I must think EVERY game has great music, because there were tons of them!  Hope I didn't over do it.

I'm still open to suggestions on this.  I may have missed a few (like Star Fox).

a1

Postby a1 » January 21st, 2014, 11:13 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Well, I added the "great music" icon and took a lot of your suggestions into account.

I searched my reviews for phrases like "fantastic soundtrack" and "excellent music".  Apparently I must think EVERY game has great music, because there were tons of them!  Hope I didn't over do it.

I'm still open to suggestions on this.  I may have missed a few (like Star Fox).[/QUOTE]

Wait. Batman Returns for SNES but no Batman NES?

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » January 22nd, 2014, 5:38 am

I just noticed The Video Game critic never reviewed Gremlins 2 for the NES. Dave it's a hidden gem in terms of game play and also deserves a great music icon.

This is a must review.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 22nd, 2014, 2:22 pm

Since a number of games with soundtracks composed of previously released
music are on the Critic's list (namely the Guitar Hero and Grand Theft Auto
games) I would nominate Brutal Legend for inclusion. Over 200 handpicked
tracks from all the various time periods and subgenres of metal.

I'd also nominate the soundtracks for Battletoads (NES) and No More Heroes (Wii)
for having a number of memorable, high-quality tracks with a lot of variety,
especially in that No More Heroes has unique theme music for each boss battle.

Return to “Video Games General”