Buy A Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
Weekend_Warrior1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » February 2nd, 2014, 12:20 am

I wish that people would stop comparing the Wii U to the PS4 and Xbox One. The system can't even compete with their predecessors, the PS3 and Xbox 360! Both of those systems smoke the Wii U in console design, game library, online, and overall value.  

Leo1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Leo1 » February 2nd, 2014, 3:08 am

If Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 are released, there's more than enough already that I'll be very satisfied with my purchase.

Upwards of a dozen retail releases of interest to me, all my digital Nintendo purchases are consolidated in one place, I enjoy off tv play more than I ever figured I would, Wii U upscales my Wii games extremely well, etc. 

My greatest disappointment if Wii U didn't live past this year would be Zelda U. And while in trouble, I see no way that software support won't continue past this year. The worst case scenario for Wii U support that I could envision is 2015 being its last year of solid software support from Nintendo as they finish off products in the pipeline while preparing for a next gen handheld/console platform.

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » February 2nd, 2014, 8:09 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=Segatarious]You already did.

Do not blame Nintendo - look at Ubisoft - one leigtimate 'try' game in Zombi U, and then bolt at the first sign of weakness. EA, little to no effort. Go on eshop if you want to support 3rd...[/QUOTE] So, someone who is an early adopter of the console has a complaint that there's no 3rd party support, and your response is basically, "tough crap, you bought the damn thing. Can't blame the company who sells it, just because they had decent 3rd party support in the past doesn't mean jack..." That's sort of cold, Mr. Steerforth. [/QUOTE]

Is it?

Did he go in blind? No. One thing about Banjo and Josh, you can go back in the forum and see pages and pages of complaints and etc they had about Wii, and get this whole same argument from them. And yet, here they are, early adopters of a troubled successor console.

Is it really so much to ask them for a little bit of a realistic outlook on the product they bought, and understand the strengths and weaknesses of said product? Instead of pretending they were blindsided by any sort of bait and switch that went on here?

Also I would not worry AT ALL about Zelda U not making it. In fact I think it is laughable :

1. Nintendo has just publicly stated to investors that they are 100% committed to gamepad - they have a ton of software, including Zelda U BUILT for the gamepad, in various states of production and they will be released. They are adding DS VC on the WiiU pad to increase the amount of product that will utilize said pad.

2. So, you really believe that a company that is too proud to release  Roms of old games on iOS because they will not play well there is going to scrap one of their flagship franchises for Wii U, strip the guts out of it, control wise, and then port it to a different console, or a successor console, or flat out cancel it? No, they are proud of this franchise, and this game, it will see the light of day,

3. Do you remember this Wii Zelda launch title - Twilight Princess? I did not own a Wii right away, I played it on my 'dead' Gamecube. Nintendo does not burn its loyal customers.

nesfan1

Buy A Wii U

Postby nesfan1 » February 2nd, 2014, 9:21 am

[QUOTE=Rev]That's really interesting to hear. I hope it gets a U.S. release.[/QUOTE]Nintendo already confirmed a U.S. release. So, it is coming. We just don't know when yet. Hopefully this year.

BanjoPickles1

Buy A Wii U

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 2nd, 2014, 12:18 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=BanjoPickles]I'm glad that I have a Wii U, but I rarely play it. I don't think that they should follow the business model set into place by Sony or Microsoft, but I am frustrated by a few things: 1). Third party support. With the Wii, there was a ton of the wrong sort of third party support. With the Wii U, you have the opposite problem. Is it wrong of me to long for the golden days of the nes/snes, where you could get your Mario fix, right alongside your Street Fighter II fix? I love games by Capcom, Atlus, and Konami just as much as games made by Nintendo. I don't think that I can fully get behind a system where third-party support isn't a priority. 2). Virtual console. This one game a week crap is ridiculous AND a huge step backwards! What happened to releasing three games a week? How can they hope to create a robust library of classics by doing this? They said that there will be DS support! Really? What about the supposed GameCube support? Game boy Advance? It's hard to fulfill these promises with one game a week![/QUOTE]

You already did.

Do not blame Nintendo - look at Ubisoft - one leigtimate 'try' game in Zombi U, and then bolt at the first sign of weakness. EA, little to no effort. Go on eshop if you want to support 3rd part, I challenge you. No reason EA could not put games on eshop too, but will they??? Nah, they are cosy with MS, MS pays them the big bucks. I do not know what you bought on Wii, but I got a lot of good 3rd party games, and I have no interest in the AAA ports on Wii U - not my party, no worries here when they erode away.  Where is the western 3rd party on 3DS, a 'successful' system??? Please do not buy into this narrative, it is awhat it is, do not expect Nintendo to deliver miracles, you just go ahead and hope they make a good merger or acquisition.

As far as VC, eh, maybe they will change, I could care less, sounds like you will get some DS games on the old eshop if you like.

Anyway, I am not big on drama, make all the laundry lists you want, there is nothing better to support, so whats the difference?[/QUOTE]

I love your black-and-white logic. Your choices are you love the Wii U unconditionally, or you leave it alone. What if I buy the system to play games like Mario 3D World, but am a bit disappointed with certain aspects of it? I complimented the Wii all of the time, but I did have a few issues with it. My main complaint has always been consistent: third-party software. Honestly, it's quite a bit frustrating that I have to defend my viewpoint every time I share my opinion on these boards.

Like I said, I like my Wii U, but I wish that the big N weren't so arrogant to believe that their software is the only software that matters. This isn't 1987.

BanjoPickles1

Buy A Wii U

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 2nd, 2014, 5:14 pm

I held onto my Wii U, PS3, 3DS, and top loader nes. Everything else went.

Leo1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Leo1 » February 2nd, 2014, 10:30 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=Leo]My greatest disappointment if Wii U didn't live past this year would be Zelda U. [/QUOTE]Also I would not worry AT ALL about Zelda U not making it. In fact I think it is laughable[/QUOTE]

Who was? I merely posted a completely hypothetical situation as was obvious. 

But since you've taken us down this path, I hardly think that it's out of the question. I believe that Nintendo will follow through, but I hardly think that it's impossible that it could be repositioned instead as a next generation launch title.

With the shaky financial nature at play here and an extremely small install base, they don't have 20 million + GameCube owners to sell to or even have a title that has ever officially been announced to that audience like they did back then years before the Wii was ever announced.  And heck, they've done it before with officially announced projects as any Paper Mario fan should remember. 

You're sure an asset for Nintendo. I make a supportive post yet still come out on the defensive. 

Segatarious1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Segatarious1 » February 2nd, 2014, 10:49 pm

Banjo, what exactly do you find 'arrogant' about Wii U? I need specifics to understand your mindset.

Also, could you make a lit of Wii U games you own - 3rd party or otherwise? Maybe you just need some sugeestions? I think you are in a rut, you see the forest, but you need to start looking for individual trees. Can we suggest a 3rd party game for you to play, you buy it, get some playtime in on your system investment, and then you write an impressions topic for the rest of the board? How about Knyet Underground - you are a Metroid fan, this might be right up your alley.

This is an adult board community, and sometimes reading  a bunch of vague negative comments make me feel like I am reading a notebook filled with gothic poetry in study hall. You know what I mean? We just want you to be a productive poster. People can help, if you can just give us specifics. Lets talk turkey.

Return to “Video Games General”