2014/3/16: Genesis: Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 16th, 2014, 2:12 pm

These two reviews continue my series of Sonic review updates.
Maybe I'll give Sonic Spinball another look next.

I think these reviews are much better. I retained the best parts of the previous Sonic 3 review, and the original Sonic & Knuckle review was pretty lame.

I also raised the grades from B+ to A- (for Sonic 3) and B to B+ (for Sonic & Knuckles).

What do you think??

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 16th, 2014, 2:54 pm

glad to see both games raised on their scores as I think all 4 games are fantastic. If you are continuing Sonic reviews you might want to see about re-reviewing Sonic CD along with Sonic Spinball.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » March 16th, 2014, 6:06 pm

The comments about Sonic 3's stage layouts could be a bit confusing; from my understanding, some stages have great alternate routes, shortcuts and hidden areas. But they are confusing on some other stages?

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » March 16th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Why does Sonic & Knuckles have the controversial icon?  Also, would it be worth pointing out that locking Sonic 1 onto Sonic & Knuckles opens up a bunch of new special stages, adding extra value with that game, too (despite your less than enthusiastic thoughts on the special stages in S&K and Sonic 3)?

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » March 16th, 2014, 8:16 pm

You should note - locking Sonic 3 with S&K doubles the length of Sonic 3, since you're playing S&K levels with it.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » March 16th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Honestly, I think if you're going to give a countless number of crappy Mario games A+ and not give even one single Sonic the Hedgehog game A+, even one of the really good ones, then you really do seem a bit biased towards games staring non-humans.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 17th, 2014, 3:10 am

I'm surprised you didn't mention the infamous "barrel of doom" in Carnival Night zone, how many people got stuck trying to figure out how to get past that one spot?  It took me and my cousin quite awhile to figure that out.

Splash-Dude chill out, it's Dave's opinion and his does not have to align with yours, if you don't like his reviews then I don't know why you even bother posting on this forum.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 17th, 2014, 6:08 am

@Splash - I prefer the original Sonic's over Mario, but I don't know how you can cry bias when he's scoring them A's and B's. I also don't understand why you get defensive over fictional mascot characters.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » March 17th, 2014, 8:56 am

[QUOTE=Sut]@Splash - I prefer the original Sonic's over Mario, but I don't know how you can cry bias when he's scoring them A's and B's. I also don't understand why you get defensive over fictional mascot characters.[/QUOTE]

I just find it odd how he's given so many great games staring anthro characters lower scores than they deserve, as well as mediocre or even AWFUL games A+. Plus, I noticed in a lot of his reviews, he lies. He claims that Sonic 2 is very glitchy, yet I've played that game for years and years and not once have I encountered any real glitch in the game. He's just looking for a reason not to give even one measely anthro game an A+.

Speaking of lying, I notice in his Mortal Kombat 9 review, he criticizes it for not having instructions to moves and what-not. Honestly, VGC didn't look hard enough, cause you can pull them up easily using the Back button on the XBox360 controller. ...Or something like that, it's been a while since I played it.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 17th, 2014, 11:43 am

[QUOTE=Splash]
I just find it odd how he's given so many great games staring anthro characters lower scores than they deserve, as well as mediocre or even AWFUL games A+. Plus, I noticed in a lot of his reviews, he lies. He claims that Sonic 2 is very glitchy, yet I've played that game for years and years and not once have I encountered any real glitch in the game. He's just looking for a reason not to give even one measely anthro game an A+.

Speaking of lying, I notice in his Mortal Kombat 9 review, he criticizes it for not having instructions to moves and what-not. Honestly, VGC didn't look hard enough, cause you can pull them up easily using the Back button on the XBox360 controller. ...Or something like that, it's been a while since I played it.[/QUOTE]

The Critic has been open in the past about re-reviewing games where he may have missed the mark.  He doesn't "lie" and, thankfully, he doesn't have a furry fetish unlike someone posting here...

Return to “Review Feedback”