Farewell, Windows XP

General and high profile video game topics.
weallmissedme1

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 8th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Well, today Windows XP received it's final patch, and this means the death of the system is here. No more support, and it is now dead. Personally, I'm surprised Microsoft didn't kill the damn thing sooner! While many people are still using it, I don't see why Microsoft didn't throw it on the chopping block shortly after they did with Windows 2000. Granted, it appears to have a legacy. What were your experiences with the system? I personally hated the system and went back to Windows 2000, but others loved it (people who aren't tech savy enough to realize the limitations). So yeah, it appears that Microsoft finally did something right.

Thoughts?

darkrage61

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby darkrage61 » April 8th, 2014, 7:03 pm

I think it's an amazing system, after Windows 98, my family skipped 2000 and went straight to XP and never regretted it. I got the XP Media Center edition for myself and loved it, in fact i'm still using it right now(I downloaded the critical updates today, and my antivirus software is up to date, so i'm not worried about anything bad happening to my PC)

It's not hard to see why Micosoft kept it going for so long, it's easy to use and navigate, and many others seem to agree, as it's used for many ATM machines.

Microsoft has done plenty of things right, but I don't know if this is one of them.  I'm definitely not going to get Windows 8 anytime soon, i've heard almost nothing but bad things about it.

I plan on keeping XP until at least i've finished all the older PC games I want to play that don't work on Windows 7.

HardcoreSadism1

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 8th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Windows XP is twelve years old, and frankly things have changed since and I prefer to have the next best thing that also happens to be up to date. But I hold deep deep respect for the operating system, especially in educational departments.

weallmissedme1

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 8th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Skipping 2000 might have been a mistake, as I think it's the best Windows system ever made,

darkrage61

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby darkrage61 » April 8th, 2014, 11:57 pm

Eh, I don't think it was a "mistake" at all.

Windows 8 may be up to date, but that dosen't necessarily mean it's any good.

pacguy191

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby pacguy191 » April 9th, 2014, 12:21 am

I hated XP. Even when it came out, it was so generic and exploitable. I switched to a Mac for a while and then installed 7 on the side. XP was never needed again.

Good riddance. Though, because the Netherlands is actually paying Microsoft for private patches, it isn't really going away. I'll be surprised if it ever will, considering a third of the Internet still uses it.

darkrage61

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby darkrage61 » April 9th, 2014, 5:44 am

XP was exploitable when it first came out, but that concern was largely fixed when SP2 came out(which was around the time I got it). 

ActRaiser1

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 9th, 2014, 8:52 am

[QUOTE=weallmissedme] What were your experiences with the system? I personally hated the system and went back to Windows 2000, but others loved it (people who aren't tech savy enough to realize the limitations). So yeah, it appears that Microsoft finally did something right.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Or those savy enough to realize there was more than one version of XP.  [wink]  XP Home edition blows, which I can only assume that's what you tried.

XP Professional works great.  It provides the equivalent experience as Windows 2000 from a developer's perspective.  I've had no problems with it and have been running my laptop on it for the last 8 years or so.  It's about time I replace it, but I've had no problems with it.

I figure I'll get a new Windows 8 machine and dump Linux on to my laptop to keep it functioning.

HardcoreSadism1

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 9th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Windows 8 is an ironic fashion statement. I see it going the wayside as XP Home.

I used XP Professional on a now-deceased 2004(?) Dell Inspiron. It finally behaved well after removing that McAfee which the previous internet service from long ago managed to install. Minus the dying hard drive it held up pretty well.

darkrage61

Farewell, Windows XP

Postby darkrage61 » April 9th, 2014, 3:33 pm

My parents had the home edition of XP, it was pretty good, though i'm happy to have the 2005 Media Center edition.

Windows 8 is now getting the same bad reputation that Vista did when it came out, I have a feeling 7 will have it's lifespan extended as a result.

Return to “Video Games General”