Intellivision controller question

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
PSX1

Postby PSX1 » April 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Over the weekend, I bought an Intellivision on eBay to finally add that system to my collection.  I noticed that one of the controllers looked damaged in the photos -- the metal disc on the controller was missing -- but I bought the set anyway, because I liked the price and the games it came with.  So my question is this... what is the purpose of the metal disc?  Will the controller still work without it, or do I basically have a useless controller on my hands?  And are there any means of repairing the controller or modifying it to get around this issue?  (I don't expect the system to arrive in the mail until next weekend, but I'm asking beforehand so that hopefully I have a solution ready if it's in need of repair upon arrival.  Thanks in advance if anyone knows.)

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » April 14th, 2014, 5:33 pm

The gold metal disk on the Intellivision controller is just cosmetic, as long as the underlying plastic disk is not damaged it should work fine.  There may be some residual glue on the plastic disk, which could give it a cruddy-looking and rough appearance.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » April 15th, 2014, 12:38 pm

Much appreciated, Zeta.  I just picked up a pair of these attachable joysticks on eBay.  I'm hoping they work despite the metal disc missing.  If they do, they will (a) hide the cosmetic damage from the disc being gone, and (b) hopefully make the controllers more effective, since the controllers seem to be one of the most common complaints with the Intellivision.  Thanks again.

[90_INTVJoystick_3] 

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 15th, 2014, 4:32 pm

you can also take apart the system and swap the two controllers if the first player controller is wonky.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » April 15th, 2014, 5:39 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]you can also take apart the system and swap the two controllers if the first player controller is wonky.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, chrisbid.  Thanks.  I guess that means I could also buy a cheap broken "for parts only" Intellivision on eBay, and swap out the controllers, right?  I hadn't thought of that before.

Return to “Classic Gaming”