Intellivision II paper weight.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 18th, 2014, 8:57 pm

I didn't realize this when I bought it so this is just warning to fellow retro gamers. I recently bought a Intellivision II without the wires but in original box for what I thought was a great deal. Turns out the AC/Adapter is rarer then a hen's tooth and cost more than the system. It was built with an external power source that just are no longer made. No generic ac adapter works with this so I have nice looking paper weight.

Just thought I would share because I didn't know and I'm sure there are plenty of others that didn't as well.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » April 18th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Good to know.  I had a similar problem when I bought my Odyssey 2 on eBay.  The seller mentioned that the TV and power cables were damaged beyond repair, but I bought the set anyway because it had great games with it.  I figured I would just buy replacement cables afterward, like I often do with other systems.  Turned out that replacement cables were very hard to find by themselves, so it actually ended up being cheaper for me to just buy a second Odyssey 2 system with working cables.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 18th, 2014, 9:56 pm

It's not convenient for me to double check, but I believe that mine is running off a TurboGrafx-16 power supply. I believe that the Jaguar power supply is another common substitute. 

They're not exact matches, but they're close enough. 

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 19th, 2014, 9:39 am

[QUOTE=Leo]It's not convenient for me to double check, but I believe that mine is running off a TurboGrafx-16 power supply. I believe that the Jaguar power supply is another common substitute. 

They're not exact matches, but they're close enough. [/QUOTE]

I actually tried my jaguar power supply when it came in because I read that should work. It works with just a certain variant of the intellivision 2. Most of them including mine have a much thicker gauge of pin then the jaguar. So it's incompatible. FML.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » April 19th, 2014, 10:45 am

I bought an Intellivision ECS computer and keyboard a few months back that didn't come with the required power supply.  It turns out that you can actually use the NES power supply to perfection.

While of no help for your Inty II problem I thought I'd mention this.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 19th, 2014, 12:46 pm

I am certain my Inty II worked on a multipurpose power supply I picked up at The Source.  One of the ends that came with it fit and one of the power settings worked.  However, the bit wouldn't quite click into place, but as long as you put it on there good and didn't bump the system while playing, it worked just fine.  I've sold it since or I'd be able to give you more information.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 19th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Here's a thread at Atariage from back when I had mine. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have ever gone back to update on the name of the working one with the right power level.  Definitely had one that definitely worked though.  

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/18190-the-official-thrift-finds-thread/page-373

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » April 19th, 2014, 9:49 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Here's a thread at Atariage from back when I had mine. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have ever gone back to update on the name of the working one with the right power level.  Definitely had one that definitely worked though.  

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/18190-the-official-thrift-finds-thread/page-373

[/QUOTE]

Thank you Atari Fever! If it wouldn't be to much trouble could you point me in the direction of one I could order for it?

~Wallyworld

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 20th, 2014, 11:30 am

When stores re-open tomorrow I'll go to the Source and see if I can find it (I should remember it if I see it). In the meantime, I'll have a look around in old threads to see if I ever named it anywhere.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 20th, 2014, 11:36 am

Some good information in my old thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/171761-inty-ii-hookup-options/

Return to “Classic Gaming”