Generation is off to a lousy start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2014, 7:56 pm

I was just thinking about how seriously lame this generation of gaming has been so far.

Microsoft has spent the entire year backtracking from bad decision after bad decision: Trying to kill the used game market, always-connected console, mandatory Kinect, overpriced system, ugly VGR design, etc, etc.  They couldn't do anything right.  Who was in charge of this Xbox division?  Any real gamer could have seen this disaster brewing a mile away.

Nintendo actually has a very good console, but their marketing campaign (if it even exists) has been horrible.  They mistakenly though the Wii name would be enough.  When my tech savvy nephew asked if the Wii U was just an add-on, I knew Nintendo had missed the boat.  Now the system is a laughing stock despite the fact that it has more strong titles that both the other systems combined.

That leaves Sony, who is winning the console wars simply by NOT DOING ANYTHING STUPID.  There is nothing great about the console or its library, but it's a powerful machine at a reasonable price.  And they are selling like hotcakes.  Maybe it's not so hard to win the console war after all. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 13th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Nintendo is battling extreme 'hardcore' media bias on one end and cheap disposable games on the other end.

Their marketing has been terrible yes, but that is not why they are failing. People do what they are told by their media, I could give you a 100 exp, but my post would not be approved, because mod knows best - for all of us.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 13th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Thank you Critic, absolutely. It's been a year or so and I still have seen no reason to upgrade to any of the new machines. I still joke with friends that the Dreamcast beats all of them, and so far I haven't found much off with that. I might get a Wii U somewhere down the line, but I usually wait until a console ends its run before I pursue it.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 13th, 2014, 8:20 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Nintendo is battling extreme 'hardcore' media bias on one end and cheap disposable games on the other end.[/QUOTE]

Again the face of gaming journalism as a whole is a joke, not just involving your Nintendo.

Probably the most negative this forum has ever been in the past several years lol...

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 13th, 2014, 9:02 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I was just thinking about how seriously lame this generation of gaming has been so far.

Microsoft has spent the entire year backtracking from bad decision after bad decision: Trying to kill the used game market, always-connected console, mandatory Kinect, overpriced system, ugly VGR design, etc, etc.  They couldn't do anything right.  Who was in charge of this Xbox division?  Any real gamer could have seen this disaster brewing a mile away.

Nintendo actually has a very good console, but their marketing campaign (if it even exists) has been horrible.  They mistakenly though the Wii name would be enough.  When my tech savvy nephew asked if the Wii U was just an add-on, I knew Nintendo had missed the boat.  Now the system is a laughing stock despite the fact that it has more strong titles that both the other systems combined.

That leaves Sony, who is winning the console wars simply by NOT DOING ANYTHING STUPID.  There is nothing great about the console or its library, but it's a powerful machine at a reasonable price.  And they are selling like hotcakes.  Maybe it's not so hard to win the console war after all. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not all bad though. At least there's the 3DS and a steady flow of nice indie and PC titles.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 13th, 2014, 9:26 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]

but it's a powerful machine at a reasonable price.  And they are selling like hotcakes.  Maybe it's not so hard to win the console war after all. 

[/QUOTE]
There's an analog here with software sales too.  A bunch of companies have reported losses or problems and challenges this last year or two.  Know who has record revenue this year?  Take Two.  A large part of this was revenue from GTA V and Bioshock Infinite.  Those two games took years and years to develop, with no annualization.  Just games that were worked on for a lot of money, for a long time, that were put out when they were ready.  You know.  How one would make a good game.  And, as it turns out, good games sell a bunch of copies and make a lot of money!  Who knew!?

And Square Enix had a really surprising hit this year: Bravely Default.  How could that thing be a hit?  That was a JRPG.  A fairly traditional one.  The JRPG genre is dead.  No one wants to play that.  That's why people don't make them.  At least, that's the word from on high, isn't it?  No one just wants a good ol' JRPG, so no one makes them.  Then Square Enix makes one and realizes that they never really checked to see if people actually didn't want one.  Turns out they did!  Who knew?  Well, except all the gamers who have been asking them to do that forever.  

Jim Sterling did a great video on this phenomenon awhile ago.  Companies convince themselves no money is to be made selling games people want, and they break their backs trying not to make that money.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOi5aDQKrYc

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 14th, 2014, 2:07 am

Eh, I don't think it's that bad of a start.  My main issue is that there's not all that many next-gen games that sound appealing.

Also I wouldn't say Sony hasn't done anything stupid, I think the touchpad for the PS4 controller was a pretty stupid idea(that and combining both the start and option button into one).

GTA V I really enjoyed and it was absolutely worth the wait, Bioshock Infinite not so much, for me it did not live up to the massive hype.

I get very annoyed at companies EA not doing certain games because they think there's "no market" for them.

For example, the 2006 game "Black" was supposed to get a sequel, but EA said no dice because they thought it was a waste of resources or something like that.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 14th, 2014, 5:53 am

The Wii U can't even compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360, let alone the PS4 and Xbox One. At this point,  I'd actually be surprised if it ever outsells the Gamecube at 21.74 million.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » May 14th, 2014, 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]People do what they are told by their media[/QUOTE]

If that were true Microsoft would have just sold 12 million always connected, DRM ridden, new game only, amazing kinect is looking at you canoodling, fully tv integrated, ad targeted, all purpose new age next gen Xbox Ones to the smiling masses all playing Titanfall.

Return to “Modern Gaming”