GameStop no fun?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

GameStop no fun?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Stopped by a GameStop at a mall today for the first time in a long time.  Maybe it was just this particular store, but I was disappointed with the lack of merchandise.  Didn't notice any special controllers, collectibles, books, promotional displays, or older games - just walls of games.  I imagine most were used but there was no clear division.  

The used games I looked at were not particularly cheap (not at all actually) and many didn't have their original insert - just white printed papers.  I thought that was pretty lame.  I guess the people who frequent these places are those who regularly sell their games back to pick up the latest hit.

When I think about how fun it used to be to peruse game stores like Electronics Boutique, this was a pretty sobering experience.  I'm happy a used game market can still exist, but these places are just no fun.  What do you think?

Segatarious1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Segatarious1 » May 28th, 2014, 9:24 pm

You are right about the prices.

I walk into a gamestop once or twice a year because I am at a mall once or twice a year, and five minutes later I walk out, because, like you say, no interest, no deals, everything looks cheap but is marked expensive, why give them business?

ZetaX1

GameStop no fun?

Postby ZetaX1 » May 28th, 2014, 9:50 pm

I miss the days when there was more variety. GameStop, Electronics Boutique, Funcoland, Babbage's...lost a lot when they all merged. Less competition, less variety. Used to have Trade-N-Play's...they all went belly-up. Local store (Retro Reboot in Pineville NC) is about the last place to find Atari and Intellivision stuff. Corporate monotony...gotta love it.

Vexer1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Vexer1 » May 28th, 2014, 11:31 pm

It seems to vary from store to store, both of my local Gamestops are always well-organized, there's never any confusion as to which games are new and used, and there's always plenty of special controllers, books, displays, collectibles and whatnot availible.

I've got some pretty good deals on used games thanks to my Powerup Rewards card.  As fondly as I remember stores like Funcoland, Babbages and Electronics Boutique, I think Gamestop is just as good if not better.

I think Gamestop is plenty of fun, as the employees are always very accomodating and make me feel welcome.

Used games not having inserts is not unique to Gamestop, many used games i've bought elsewhere(Amazon, Ebay, Half.com etc) haven't had inserts either(likely due to previous owners losing them or throwing them out)

I am one of those people who often trades in older games for the latest new releases as it saves me quite a bit of money, I can't even remember the last time i've paid full price for a new game.

Steer-I give them business because they've never given a reason not to.

Rev1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Rev1 » May 29th, 2014, 12:04 am

I don't mind Gamestop too much. I'm usually looking solely for games when I go to stores like these so it doesn't bother me. The real savings of Gamestop comes with membership pricing (10% off extra) and used game sales which makes everything better deals. The problem I have always had with Gamestop is that they are like the last place on Earth to drop their prices on new games, making them way higher then other stores. If I'm looking for a used game, I stay far and away from Gamestop.

ptdebate1

GameStop no fun?

Postby ptdebate1 » May 29th, 2014, 12:29 am

Gamestop=no fun at all. I prefer local game stores.

Weekend_Warrior1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 29th, 2014, 5:51 am

While we're on this subject, is it just me or are there usually only 1 or maybe 2 kiosks actually playable out of 4 at almost every Gamestop location? 

Tron1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Tron1 » May 29th, 2014, 8:22 am

I've frequented many gamestops throughout Michigan. They vary greatly from each other. The worst ones are always the ones in the malls. The mall ones have the least floor space, the worst selection and (oddly enough) have the worst quality (scratches & lack of manuals). I've found the gamestops in strip malls and not actual malls to be much better. Back when they had "buy 2 get 1 free on psp games" I spent a lot of money at GameStop.

If you're willing to overcome the awkwardness of being a choosy customer you can find great products and great deals at GameStop. First off I don't even hand my money to the sales associate until I've inspected the disc. If it has scratches or cracks I politely say no thanks. It happens a lot, but that's part of the territory. I rarely buy a game without manuals or original cases, but I did recently pick up a couple of ps2 games that were 75% off that were only in sleeves.

I hate that they remove ds games from the cases and throw the cases out. They then spend their own money on putting the games in ugly clear plastic. Totally stupid from every perspective I can imagine; so gamestop certainly is not a perfect business. Still I enjoy retail shopping over eBay or Amazon so I'm willing to take the good with the bad. Although in the future I'll probably buying more online.

I prefer locally owned shops as they don't have that uncaring corporate feel to them. Still I find that GameStop gets some of my dollars and I'm happy they're in my community's. Don't forget you can return a used game within 7 or 10 days for a full refund.

Edward1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Edward1 » May 29th, 2014, 11:06 am

The only time I go into gamestop is if a cord or something breaks, and I need it right now. In essence, I treat them like RadioShack.  Their prices in general are insane though.  Usually, I can find games new cheaper online than they sell them used. 

Here is last year's most popular game, GTA V, still selling at gamestop for $54.99 used and they don't even guarantee it comes with its original case and manual.

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/grand-theft-auto-v/106497

On the other hand, amazon is currently selling grand theft auto V new for 41.99. Used copies are going for even cheaper than that.

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYILE

Why pay $13 more to get a game used instead of new? You'd have to be insane to do that.  This isn't an outlier, this is how it usually is with GameStop. There is no reason to shop there.  Right now, it feels like GameStop caters to people who can't buy online (Too young for a credit card or don't have one for some reason). They have no other choices, so GameStop doesn't feel they need to lower the price or make the stores better. Their customer base has no where else to go.

kew9820001

GameStop no fun?

Postby kew9820001 » May 29th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I'm actually quite fond of my local Gamestop. I live in Kentucky and my Gamestop prices here are quite reasonable. As a matter of fact, I purchased Dishonored for the Xbox 360 today to add to my collection. It only set me back $10.60 something plus tax since I am a Pro rewards member. In addition to the rewards points I get for being a pro member to get cool stuff, I do enjoy the 12 month subscription of GameInformer magazine. I've always found my local Gamestop employees to be very helpful and friendly. The shelves are always organized and it's easy to find what I'm looking for. I've even become good acquaintences with some of the employees through our common interest in gaming and that always helps. Sorry, Critic if your Gamestop experience was bad. But believe me when I say...there are some Gamestop stores that are actually run right.

Return to “Video Games General”