Generation is off to a lousy start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 16th, 2014, 5:35 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser][QUOTE=Segatarious]

The fact that people reject the existence of this negative reality, and defend the precense of these drastic changes only bolsters my theory.[/QUOTE]

So, if I'm reading the above correctly if one has a different opinion, it only bolsters your opinion more.

That pretty much explains everything...

[/QUOTE]

It is not an opinion, It is an observation of behavior patterns.

It does not make sense to be glad that your money buys less product, and a less completed product at that, year after year. The price of product increases as both content and quality flag. If people do not respond to a situation such as that rationally, then you ask - why do they not? And the answer  is, they are heavily influenced by what they watch and read about games - and not by an objective look at their wants and needs vs the game makers wants and needs. They do not want an adversarial relationship, which is desirable, but literally choose a subservience relationship, which obviously continually  gets worse as time goes along.

The Xbox One debacle is interesting because apparently master pushed too far. It is also interesting because it is an open question as to whether Mr Casual Gamer will but into consoles at all.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 16th, 2014, 7:10 pm

It is an opinion, and boy oh boy are you unreasonable to suggest modern-era gamers are "inducted". Give me a break you're "inducted" to the same fate as every other gaming journalist writing overpaid opinion pieces.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » May 16th, 2014, 7:32 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I was just thinking about how seriously lame this generation of gaming has been so far.

Microsoft has spent the entire year backtracking from bad decision after bad decision: Trying to kill the used game market, always-connected console, mandatory Kinect, overpriced system, ugly VGR design, etc, etc.  They couldn't do anything right.  Who was in charge of this Xbox division?  Any real gamer could have seen this disaster brewing a mile away.

Nintendo actually has a very good console, but their marketing campaign (if it even exists) has been horrible.  They mistakenly though the Wii name would be enough.  When my tech savvy nephew asked if the Wii U was just an add-on, I knew Nintendo had missed the boat.  Now the system is a laughing stock despite the fact that it has more strong titles that both the other systems combined.

That leaves Sony, who is winning the console wars simply by NOT DOING ANYTHING STUPID.  There is nothing great about the console or its library, but it's a powerful machine at a reasonable price.  And they are selling like hotcakes.  Maybe it's not so hard to win the console war after all. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad there's one critic out there who realizes this. I am so sick and tired of all the "LolWiiU" and "The Wii U is a terrible console that surely spells the death of Nintendo" discussion that everyone else seems to believe.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » May 28th, 2014, 11:56 pm

If there's one consolation prize for Nintendo regarding the Wii U, they have the largest software attach rate out of all three current-gen TV-attached consoles.

I've even read reports that the PS4 in Japan is experiencing a <1.0 attach rate.  Are the Japanese aware that there are much cheaper BluRay players available now?

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » May 29th, 2014, 11:17 am

To get this conversation back to its original track, I'd agree with the critic. The Wii U currently has the best library of all three systems, but noone is buying it.  In that sense, the Wii U feels like this generation's Dreamcast. I just hope it has a longer lifespan than the DreamCast does. I know Nintendo can continue losing money for a long time before they are trouble. I appreciate Nintendo is making games I want to play, I just hope they make some money off of it.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 29th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Whether the Wii U fails or not isn't the issue. It's whether Nintendo will listen to these idiots who say make a new system. They shouldn't. They should wait, and THEN release a new system. Make it Uber powerful. And release it late 2016. That way, the people who bought the Wii U won't feel ripped off.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 29th, 2014, 3:50 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]To get this conversation back to its original track, I'd agree with the critic. The Wii U currently has the best library of all three systems, but no one is buying it.  In that sense, the Wii U feels like this generation's Dreamcast. I just hope it has a longer lifespan than the Dreamcast does.[/QUOTE]
Interesting you mention that. A few months ago I heard that the Wii U has lasted longer than the Dreamcast and yet has sold about half as many units.

I wonder if Nintendo will ever be able to win the console market back at this rate.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]Whether the Wii U fails or not isn't the issue. It's whether Nintendo will listen to these idiots who say make a new system. They shouldn't. They should wait, and THEN release a new system. Make it Uber powerful. And release it late 2016. That way, the people who bought the Wii U won't feel ripped off.[/QUOTE]

They need to make it with uber cheap games.

$5 games
$10 games
$15 games

the new normal.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 29th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Nintendo made the mistake of thinking the system would sell itself based on the name alone and that they wouldn't have to put much effort into marketing it, which of course backfired on them, and of course the lack of third-party support(which they've suffered from for almost two decades now) dosen't help. Compunding that, Nintendo sometimes comes across as out of touch, for example how they've tried to come after Youtube users who upload videos of their games by issuing copyright claims(which Sony and Microsoft have NEVER done for gameplay videos), then by demanding the users who upload videos of their games give them a percentage of the ad revenue, which is further decreasing their already diminishing fanbase.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » May 29th, 2014, 11:14 pm

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony need to do something that reflects the sign of the times instead of clinging to glory days long past.

Nintendo has probably done more than the other two companies combined when it comes to cradle-to-grave audience support and gameplay innovation but is ruining its console with its name.  Plus, they really need to lend more support to indie developers -- one of the last bastions of gameplay innovation outside of Nintendo itself.  How can Nintendo tout couch co-op but then drop the ball in regards to the current flagship indie couch co-op game, Towerfall: Ascension?

Sony is ruining theirs with an extremely conservative approach due to the falling cards of everything else Sony.  With a marginally profitable PS3 generation and massive layoffs surrounding the company in general, Sony had to come out with a new system that was conservative in pretty much every aspect in order to keep the price low and profit from Day 1: PC-like hardware that was capable of 1080p:60Hz graphics but is already outstripped by current-day midrange PCs, minimal input innovation outside of a glowing bar that does nothing without the optional $100 PS Eye, and vanilla titles that are basically PS2 games with modern day graphics.

Microsoft is ruining theirs with Kinect during the current Snowden scare and the price hike it brought.  However, with MS soon releasing Kinect-less XBones, they are sacrificing innovation for clinging onto the "born from 1980-1995" dudebro generation the same way Sony is.

It quite concerning that probably 90% of current-gen AAA console games today are only coming from the first parties and then Activision, EA, Ubisoft, 2K, and Square-Enix.  It's also quite concerning that the gamer audience born after 1995 is mostly playing Clash of Clans, Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, and the like on smartphones and tablets, which makes them less likely to ever get into AAA gaming.

Outside of the PC gaming market, this generation may very well be the swan song of AAA gaming as we know it.  Relish these next five years.

Return to “Modern Gaming”