Generation is off to a lousy start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 31st, 2014, 6:38 pm

It's really hard to get excited for stuff this generation. New games for PS4 and XB1 are consistently being released alongside versions for PS3 and 360. (For now, at least.) Even games that are touted to be system sellers! (Titanfall, anyone?)

Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot a few times in the past few years, too. Wii U marketing campaign? Confusing. HD Zelda? Disappeared from sight. Smash Bros? They're facing potential sales cannibalization from having 2 games released in a 6 month time frame.

At least they've had a LOT of great Mario games, and Mario Kart this summer. I'm hoping that the new Zelda will come soon.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 31st, 2014, 8:47 pm

@Jon: Only the Nintendo DS has outsold the PS2.

Actually I could add the original PS1 to the list as well,which might even have lost to the 64 if had Nintendo had released the N64 in '95 instead of '96,given that the management of Sony the first year were absolutely terrible.

The NES sold 60 million or so, and ALL the systems last generation have outsold the NES now. (Except the PSP)

And where the heck where you when the Nintendo DS was rolling or the GameBoy Advance, all those systems both seemed to have that charm to 'em where games that came out were always great.

Point is,just because the starting gate is bleak doesn't mean it's gonna end that way.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 31st, 2014, 11:52 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]When was the last time a system has been "on a roll" where seemingly everything they put out turns to gold. Forever.[/QUOTE]Huh? That's actually never happened. But the 360 did have some months in the last few years where they had a hot streak of consistently great games come out back-to-back in a short period of time. It's probably the closest thing I can think of to what you're talking about.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:02 am

Steer- Yeah so what?  What does that movie have to do with anything?  BTW Pulp(which I found quite funny BTW) came out quite a while ago, so I really don't see what the point of bringing it up now is.

My judgement tells me you have no idea what you're talking about, the cost of health care has NOTHING whatsoever to do with video games.

I don't think the Wii U is going to become a big hit like the PS2 did, it started selling well because it had a built in DVD player at a time when regular DVD players were rather expensive, but the Wii U has no such convenience like that.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:08 am

[QUOTE=Jon]N64Dude, are you saying that the PS3 outsold all those systems like the NES and 2600, or the PS2? One thing that I've noticed is how it's been SO long since any system was consistently putting out good games, games that the makers should be proud of. Back in the late 80s the NES was on a roll, and there was a certain charm to almost every game they put out. We were all witnessing greatness. When was the last time a system has been "on a roll" where seemingly everything they put out turns to gold. Forever.[/QUOTE]

I know the NES has a lot of solid titles but there was no way that the NES was pooping gold on every game. 2/3 of the NES library is garbage and that has been pretty much the same for every console generation. What the NES did have was a unique set of games and a lot of new franchises. That was something that no other generation can boast.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:12 am

[QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Segatarious]Wages are wages. Expenses are expenses. Taxes are taxes.

When the cost of neccesities continue to rise, you have less money free to spend. The economy is changed. It is not the same economy that existed in 1984, so you cannot just slap a simple 'inflation %' on game prices and claim that is what it cost in today's market. And even more laughably, then claim your games are 'cheaper' today, despite their high cost and all of the add on fees and subscriptions that get tied on to them.

People are poorer in this country every year, because their wages are flat, and good paying jobs continue to be outsourced to countries with less restrictive environmental policies, that also pay lower wages. The unemployment numbers have been 'dropping', but two big problems: 1. The numbers drop because many simply stop looking for work, and 2. the jobs that have been added pay less, and often much less, than the jobs that were lost.  The average citizen in 2014 has no interest returns to speak of on 'saved' or invested money, and the costs of their basic living necessities continue to rise. The 'poor' now have guaranteed health care in this country, fine. The law forces them to carry insurance, but they cannot afford to pay the premium. They go to the doctor and cannot afford to pay their bill. Fine and fine. Those costs will be passed on to the middle class, and their health care rates will continue to rise, as they subsidize the increased costs of mandated health care. More people will be pushed into poverty, and onto food stamps. Health care is not a fragile economy in this country, it is a mandated economy.

The middle class and working class will continue to have less free money to spend. Less money to spend on games, for example. A poor person walk into Wal Mart with their food stamps (which the middle class and massive budget govt deficits 'pay' for), and fills up a cart full of food and junk (including video games) and have their purchases subsidized by the govt, and Wal Mart makes money off of the system. They spend their cash on living necessities, including junk, and the govt pays for their food, or a portion of their food.

The govt of the people only serves to subsidize the corporate citizen in the end. But, it is a losing cycle, and will continue to get worse. So yes, the country is on the whole poorer, and therefore games are more expensive than ever.[/QUOTE]
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING???[/QUOTE]Did you not read what he said? He's talking about how the majority of American people have less expendable income to spend on luxury items like video games. Therefore, the industry suffers. I agree with him, too. 

The average cost of living is getting way out of hand. The starting wage at my job has not changed in 7 years. However, the average cost of rent per month in local apartments have gone up by at least $100 during the time. And then when you add in higher costs for gas, food, cable, phone service AND this stupid mandatory healthcare system... people (such as the temps at my job) are left with far less money now than they would have had 7 years ago, let alone 20 or 30 years ago. 

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » June 1st, 2014, 1:47 am

[QUOTE=N64Dude]@Jon: Only the Nintendo DS has outsold the PS2.[/QUOTE]Nope. Check Wikipedia. The PS2 is still the top selling system of all-time. 

a1

Postby a1 » June 1st, 2014, 11:56 am

I shouldn't have said anything. This has gotten out of hand. This forum is for games, not politics.

Return to “Modern Gaming”