What generation of games do you find yourself playing the most?

General and high profile video game topics.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 2nd, 2014, 5:28 pm

This is a topic I thought I'd throw out there. My question is, which generation of games have you played the most? Also, which generation as of late? For me, the most I've played would be the 16-bit era, or 4th generation systems. I loved that era. The Genesis was fantastic, and the SNES was also a pretty good system. You have the best beat em ups of all time (TMNT series, streets of rage, Final fight, Brawl Brothers) the best platformers (Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country 2, Ristar). Lately, I've been doing the 6th generation. So many great 3D platforms.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 2nd, 2014, 6:19 pm

I drift towards a lot of 5th/6th gen games. Lots of great stuff coming out around then.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 2nd, 2014, 6:22 pm

Well recently I've mixed it up as I'm playing through the Metal Gear series, but the one I spend most with is the 16-bit. Sega and my Atari ST are the go to for time killers, it's a great generation with games that are both pick up and play, but deep enough to keep you playing.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 2nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

Probably 4th-6th the most (pretty much equal amounts of time). Always seem to be picking up new games in those eras.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 3rd, 2014, 12:50 am

Probably the 16 bit era the most. SNES, Genesis and PC-Engine split fairly evenly. I could play nothing but 4th gen games for the rest of my life and be totally fine with that.

Second would be the 7th generation. Sure DLC, required online, etc. can be annoying. But it was the first gen that devs really perfected 3d action games. Shame about the lack of JrPGs though.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 3rd, 2014, 1:09 am

It's mainly the 7th or sixth generation for me usually, though i've played some current-gen games on my 360.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 3rd, 2014, 1:09 pm

I find the 6th generation to be the last truly "magic" generation. Consoles are too much like PC's now! I miss the days when online was a perk, not really the standard. I miss the days when you had memory cards, and could swap data, instead of HDD's (though the Xbox and PS2 had one). I miss the days when developers had limited technology, and were forced to use their imaginations. The magic of those games still hold up today. Games like Jak and Daxter, Red Faction, GTA 3, they were all put together on what was even then, limited hardware. But boy, you couldn't really even tell! I miss that time. Consoles were my preferred method of gaming then. And I still cherish every last great game from the era.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2014, 6:49 pm

I'd also have to go with the 16-bit era: Genesis/SNES/Turbografx-16.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 4th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Probably last gen sine I have mostly DS games at the moment.

wur1

Postby wur1 » June 9th, 2014, 12:54 pm

I really liked the PSP--was never a Sony fan up til then.  Was the PSP's resident defender on here for a while.  People complained it was mostly compilations and re-hashes, but since I didn't play any Sony stuff, it was all new to me.  The screen was just beautiful--loved playing the Genesis compilation and and managed to beat a few Gradius games on it, to boot.  Liked how it DIDN'T have a touch screen--everything has a touchscreen now, including the laptop I'm writing this on, you have to constantly clean them whenever you touch it.

Really liked the Wii, played the hell out of that--just got the Move controller for PS3 and am having fun with the 1-1 swordplay in Sports Champions.

as I mentioned, just got a PS3 and am going to wait this generation out.  I think it's a transitional generation.  On the PS3, and 3DS, we saw flickers of "true 3D gaming", with the Wii, and later Kinect and Move, we saw "immersive gaming".  I think this generation is the transition towards actual VR gaming, with VR goggles coming out for various systems.  It's kind of like the transition 20 years ago from 2D games to 3D games-- a lot of it will be a mess, expensive, not very much fun.  Remember when no one could program a floating camera angle correctly and everything looked like legos painted with mud?  I'm thinking that's what this gen will be like.

Last gen it was a gimmick--kind of like 3D games on the Genesis and SNES.  Starfox and Virtua Racing were actually awesome, fun games, and still hold up--I prefer the SNES starfox to the n64 one--but now VR will soon be the bread and butter of gaming.  A lot of it will be forgettable and not very much fun, like a lot of the PS1 and N64 stuff.

Return to “Video Games General”