Mario Kart Rankings

General and high profile video game topics.
a1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby a1 » June 4th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I think Mario Kart 8 has been out long enough to rank the series, here is my rqnking, excluding the gba game that I barely played.

1) Mario Kart 64 - Chalk it up to nostalgia if you like but Ive never seen such universal.love of any other game. This was the game o play in college. Even hot girls loved it. The blue shell was also really rare so didnt piss people off. Battle mode is the best in the series.
2)Mk 8 - I went back to double dash to compare and mk 8 is better in every possible way. More balanced better level designs, and more fun. Battle mode sucks but it did in Double Dash and MK7 too.
3) mkds - great levels, mission mode was great (and for some reason not in later entries), and well balanced. Battle mode was still fun too. But local mutiplayer is hard on a handheld.
4) mk7) Really refined controls. Good level designs. Bad battle mode, but otherwise a great game
5) Super mario kart- I wish the feather still existed for.shortcuts, and I am glad that coins finally made it back too. This was a monumental game, and a fun one, but the hardware wasnt quite there yet
6)MKWii- I dont get the love for this game. Its like Nintendo heard all the complaints against the series and did the opposite of rectifying yhem. Its not skill at all, just luck; and completely infuriating. At least battle was okay

Segatarious1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby Segatarious1 » June 4th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Mario Kart 8????? I see no reason yet, why it is not the best?

Mario Kart DD - it controls great, and has an awesome set of original courses.

Mario Kart Wii - great game, solid all over

Mario Kart 7 - very fun portable racer

Mari Kart 64 - I think it is poor, played it after Double Dash and before Wii, and the best part was the character selection screen. Very underwhelming game, after DD especially.

Mario Kart SNES - yuck. Mode 7 is awful.

Mario Kart GBA - see above.

HardcoreSadism1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 4th, 2014, 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

Mario Kart 8????? I see no reason yet, why it is not the best?

[/QUOTE]

You had no conversational tact growing up? I suppose you run the roost of ratings lists?

Unfortunately I've only had little experience with Super Mario Kart, but I plan on picking up the DS games. I have the perfect hardware edition to play it on.

Rev1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby Rev1 » June 4th, 2014, 11:29 pm

1. Mario Kart DS- favorite Mario Kart title bar none. It was my first DS game and I played it a lot online even after all the Snakers took over the game. I loved all the modes and the online was a plus.
2. Mario Kart DD- Great game and I loved the mode where you raced in every single course. No other Mario kart has done that again.
3. Mario Kart 8- I think it is too early to say this is the best Mario Kart since the other ones have had time to develop. Still, great graphics, solid gameplay, and the rebalancing of items have helped a lot.
4. Mario Kart 7- fun portable racer although I prefer DS over this one.
5. Super Mario Kart- Feather item was awesome and mode 7 wasn't too bad. First game and probably the hardest to master.
6. Mario Kart Wii- The items were too powerful in this game even with the other advancements of the series.
7. Mario Kart 64- The fact that the opponents are impossible to build a lead against really hurt this game in my eyes. The courses are fun but a bit outdated. I feel like the best courses were moved over to other titles as well so I'm not missing too much from this episode.
8. Mario Kart Advance- my least favorite Mario Kart. It had its moments but still the game didn't seem to hold up compared to the other titles.

a1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby a1 » June 5th, 2014, 3:26 am

Ha! I forgot to include double dash in my rankings. It would go in 3rd after MK8. Solid game but playing it again it's just too chaotic. Battle mode, even though it had several modes, is not very fun due to the confined arenas. Also a lot of the music is just awful. MK64 had kind of melodic music for the most part, whereas it seems Nintendo was going for the most irritating music possible in double dash. The courses are well designed and nice to look at though.

bronZfonZ1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby bronZfonZ1 » June 5th, 2014, 1:16 pm

The sex appeal of Mario Kart 64 pushes it over the top? 

IMO, despite my fond memories of it, albeit without hot girls, MK64 has probably aged the worst, and it's almost entirely because of the sense of speed, or an alarming lack of it.  The 150cc class feels like the 50cc class in all the other Mario Karts, and the use of blurry sprites for the racers in 3D-modeled environments is plain silly.  My guess is that the art department over-budgeted the environments and couldn't create low-poly racer models that did the characters justice.

N64Dude1

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby N64Dude1 » June 6th, 2014, 7:21 pm

The Pipe Frame Trilogy (Super, 64, and Super Circuit) takes the top on the merit of the best ranking system,minimal item harassment so skill is needed, courses that aren't too over-the-top, and the fastest paced.

Mario Kart 64 (Easily the best,Critic and Steergatorius were clearly on something when they lambasted it for the AI. All the BS arguments about never getting a lead apply well to all the others too in some way or another except for DS. It takes itself the most seriously, it's themes are still the best, the Battle Mode is still the most addictive. There is simply nothing that went wrong here. It feels really speedy NOT lacking, and it had the comic effects for crashes.)

Super Mario Kart (Mario Kart 64 except it really IS too hard to get a lead there, there isn't much level variety, and Special Cup doesn't exist in 50 cc. There's so much Early Installment Weirdness here. Also the A button isn't go like all the others,what the Hell? But it's almost at 64 levels of good. But it does feel the most dated.)

Super Circuit (A lovely blend of the top two, same amount of skill needed to turn like the original, same items and characters as 64. A little too easy though and it doesn't really add too much new. But at least it isn't overly gaudy like everything succeeding it. Makes no sense to hate this but love the other two.)

The Post Pipe Frame Trilogy Where Getting 4th Overall is not a Troll Challenge and you can't skip Banana Peels.

Mario Kart 7 (Except for snubbing Waluigi,this is probably the most satisfying Mario Kart in 10 damn years. Great melodies, excellent track designs. Bringing back the coins was a nice nod to the roots. Much of what has been said here I agree with. There hasn't been a way to outdo the tried and true ways of 64 and Super yet,but this comes the closest)

Mario Kart Wii (This one is mostly quite excellent, except for item harassment and the really screwed up Battle Mode. This is what Double Dash SHOULD have been)

Mario Kart Double Dash (This is Mario Bobsled,NOT Mario Kart. Any sense of speed is nonexistent. The special items are a nice idea,but getting rid of the Ghost item? No shells going around the kart? Irritating melodies and cookie-cutter tracks? Everything wrong with item harassment and snaking and most things with Wii started from this game)

Mario Kart DS (This one has aged worse than 64 or Double Dash, the music is even more irritating than Double Dash, it's waaay too easy to get ahead thanks to the broken snaking technique, the Mission Mode is a waste. It did away with 2-player Grand Prix and everything looks ugly

I haven't played 8 yet,but I have a feeling it would probably either top 7 or fall in-between 7 and Wii given what I've heard. It's too far away from the basics to get into the original trilogy.

wgames771

Mario Kart Rankings

Postby wgames771 » June 15th, 2014, 4:39 am

N64Dude, why would getting rid of the ghost item in Double Dash be bad? I always found it somewhat useless.

Return to “Video Games General”