The Criticize Nintendo Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Steer-Um, no you can't judge it like that.

The Virtual Boy was probably the all-time worst idea for a console ever(even worse then that of the 32X), the top guys at Nintendo REALLY should've listened to Gunpei Yokoi, who tried to convince them that the VB needed more time in development before it was ready for release(he said given an additonal year, they would have the technology for a more appealing color combination then the garrish red/black scheme they used which caused eye-strain), but of course they foolishly ignored him and rushed the thing out, assuming people would blindly buy it just cause it was made by Nintendo, but they thought wrong, very wrong, and the failure of the console would indirectly lead to Yokoi's death a few years later(and the top execs had the gall to blame Yokoi for the console's failure, forcing him to man the trade show booth at E3, and that kind of job is considered a dishonor in Japanese culture).

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:17 pm

The Virtual Boy failure was instrumental in Yokoi's (the Game Boy creator) departure from Nintendo. He eventually did die in a car accident, yet had come up with the Bandaï Wonderswan, an interesting handheld for Game Boys enthusiasts out there. Despite the conspiracy theories, I think linking the Virtual Boy debacle to his death is nothing more than speculation.

On topic, I was a little disappointed with the original Virtual Console European line up. Retro games were only proposed in their slower PAL format, such a shame in this day and age, and a mistake they didn't repruce with the newer one on Wii U, at least.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:49 pm

OMG. Unbelievable. Thanks for pointing out the Japan VC lineup, Banjo. I'm absolutely flabbergasted that Pulstar and Blazing Star were available in Japan but not here. It's an absolute crime that so very few people in the states have played these games. 

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:54 pm

I don't know Oltobaz. The slower PAL format is for people who want to play games in their original form. Wouldn't you like your games to be "tous d'origine"?

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 18th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Jon, you also have:

-Shadowgate
-Castlevania 3
-Final Fantasy
-Turbo Grafx 16 support
-100+ more games to choose from.

I'm actually referring to the 3ds vc.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 18th, 2014, 3:18 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]I don't know Oltobaz. The slower PAL format is for people who want to play games in their original form. Wouldn't you like your games to be "tous d'origine"?[/QUOTE]

I'm aware of this stance of theirs, but then would have enjoyed the option to choose between PAL and NTSC.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 18th, 2014, 8:35 pm

The only really good release for this year Watch Dogs has been delayed until the autumn.  Third party release that.  What with Call of Dooty giving the Wii U the finger.  Looks like Activision and every one else have dropped this machine. 
I blame Nintendo.
Well hopefully they will get behind Watch dogs as it seems to be the last chance that they will get a mainstream big seller on their system. 

a1

Postby a1 » June 18th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Nintendo's online is the worst in every possible way. I constantly get knocked out of Mario Kart matches, which never happens during my xbox live sessions. I can't voice chat with people, even friends during a game of Mario Kart, which takes away the fun of playing with my brothers online and is why we will continue to play xbox together exclusively. Finally, no unified online account. It's bad enough they don't want to allow eshop games bought on wii u to be played on 3ds, but not having an account system is awful. If I lost my 3ds then I would lose over $100 in games. That's ridiculous.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 19th, 2014, 12:46 am

They can't even unify your Nintendo Network ID and your Club Nintendo account. I can't believe that I had to register twice, have to keep track of two usernames and passwords, and had to link both together just to accomplish what a single account should be able to handle. 

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 19th, 2014, 12:48 am

I just remembered my biggest issue, that is becoming increasingly unnacceptable: lack of cross buying. When I can download Final Fantasy 7 on my psp, and transfer it to my PS3 and Vita, it makes the concept of having to buy Mario 3 on numerous platforms stink of sheer greed. I know that Nintendo does things their own way and, for the most part, I can appreciate that......but this is ridiculous!

Return to “Video Games General”