Which game is the modern day E.T. ready for burial in a desert?

General and high profile video game topics.
Tron1

Postby Tron1 » June 20th, 2014, 4:12 pm

I agree with Steer. They really did put effort into the game. Part of the fascination with the E.T fiasco is that effort doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Also back then Movie licensed games didn't mean crappy cash-in. It was a new experience & I think many people thought movie licensed games would be awesome.

I guess my input on topic would be the new sim city game. The online mishaps & neglect of consoles makes it garbage IMO.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 21st, 2014, 10:22 am

You're all going to love this answer: Titanfall!

Not because it's a bad game (I haven't played it but talk to people who have) but it's on-line only.  So at some point in the future on-line support will be pulled for some reason or another.  Without a single-player, off-line mode, those millions of discs will become completely worthless. 

So I think you can add "polluting the environment" to the list of Microsoft atrocities!

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 21st, 2014, 12:21 pm

I enjoy Titanfall even despite the lack of offline play. Yeah, I know, playing split screen with a couple of bots ala Red Faction (which is one of the top 100 games ever MADE) would have been nice, but I don't care much. Maybe if they released a campaign that would be cool, but I'm having tons of fun as it is.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » June 21st, 2014, 12:36 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]You're all going to love this answer: Titanfall!

Not because it's a bad game (I haven't played it but talk to people who have) but it's on-line only.  So at some point in the future on-line support will be pulled for some reason or another.  Without a single-player, off-line mode, those millions of discs will become completely worthless. 

So I think you can add "polluting the environment" to the list of Microsoft atrocities![/QUOTE]

Actually, that blame goes more to EA, since they published it and Microsoft just secured it as a timed exclusive (the later games and projects related to this they're planning are coming to PS4, as well). Given that, I guess it balances out their eco-friendly pushes with the game boxes and manuals.

I'd say, to answer this question, the obvious answer would be Duke Nukem Forever, but that's kind of already happened metaphoically, so I'd say Driver 3 should be buried, as all that money and time went into it and it was a complete mess.  Thankfully, we have Driver San Francisco now, which more than makes up for Driver 3.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 21st, 2014, 2:28 pm

Duke Nukem Forever not too likely going to happen, it's metascore isn't THAT bad, i'd say it's much more likely to happen with Ride To Hell: Retribution, which has the all-time lowest metascore aside from Big Rigs.

Driver 3 I actually enjoyed for the most part.

Another game that should be buried is Hour Of Victory, probably the absolute worst FPS of all time, it was so terrible it pretty much single-handedly killed off WWII shooters.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » June 21st, 2014, 11:20 pm

If they can find a dumped enough:  Wii Sports.  They produced 82,000,000 of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:05 am

[QUOTE=Orion]If they can find a dumped enough:  Wii Sports.  They produced 82,000,000 of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.[/QUOTE]

The sequel was not bundled and sold 33 million copies! Just like E.T.!

No, wait.

I get a kick out of the anger over this game. One of the best video games of all time. Deal with it.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » June 22nd, 2014, 12:32 pm

Hmmmm....somehow I want to narrow this down to physical carts and not CD/DVD discs.  But eh, only the portables are using the physical carts now.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 22nd, 2014, 1:25 pm

I'd think something like Too Human (Xbox 360) better fits the mold of E.T. Big budget game (first of a planned trilogy, if I recall) that got tons of pre-release hype, only to release to generally bad reviews and poor sales. Dig a hole and chuck'em in, no one will miss them.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 22nd, 2014, 3:13 pm

I think Too Human is a decent enough game, and it's metascore wasn't really that bad(65), of the reviews, 22 were positive, 49 were mixed and only 9 were outright negative, so the reviews weren't "mostly bad" exactly.

One game i'd say that fits better into the hole is Chicago Enforcer, another really terrible FPS game that's been forgotten for a very good reason, also Action 52(at least the NES version anyways).

Return to “Video Games General”