The 3D Bionic Commando from 2009 is actually pretty good

General and high profile video game topics.
wur1

Postby wur1 » June 21st, 2014, 3:20 pm

About 5 years ago, right before I embarked on my PhD studies, I harassed a few of you to play this game.  Didn't have a computer or console that could play it, and no one seemed terribly interested.

I was surprised it's actually a lot of fun--they got the mechanics just right, the swinging mechanics are just perfect.  I mean, it's as good as a transition from NES to 3D as Metal Gear Solid or Metroid Prime was.  The arm is actually more fun than the gravity gun in HL2--probably one of the more original weapons in modern games I've seen.

I didn't think the writing was bad--they took the cheesy story of the original and did what they could with it.  It's a little jarring to hear Rad Spencer drop the F-bomb, but it seems aware of its own absurdity and t manages to walk the line between the cheesy anime story of the original and a modern gritty FPS sci-fi story line.  His dreads don't seem out of place considering how nonsensical the whole thing is anyway, which was one of the beefs many had with it.

I find this a lot more fun to play than other third person action games from around the same time, because the whole focus is on the swinging, which actually works well.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 21st, 2014, 5:02 pm

I really enjoyed this game as well, some of the boss fights were quite difficult and required a lot of skill to beat, but it was very rewarding when you did succeed, my only complaint was that the final battle felt kind of rushed and the ending was a bit anti-climatic.

Return to “Video Games General”