How big is your collection and how do you display/store it?

General and high profile video game topics.
Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » June 24th, 2014, 2:39 pm

I have a pretty modest collection at around 7 consoles and maybe 100 games.  There are a lot of games, especially from the NES/SNES era that is on my want list.  I like to collect CIB, so for the older games storage becomes an issue because of the space that complete NES/SNES games take up.  My basement is a modest size and with 2 kids and their toys, my 1000+ cd collection and dvds/books, I have little space to display my collection.  I am currently thinking about storing the games in Rubbermaid containers for each console, with labels on the container stating which console it is for. 

My wife isn't crazy on me getting a new bookshelf just for games as in her eyes it's just adding to media collection. 

I'm thinking of 1 of these, as it can hold quite a bit and best of all, it keeps everything hidden.  I just have to convince my wife!

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/grande-locking-media-storage-cabinet-oak/1255118780201

So, how big are your collections and how do you go about storing/displaying them? 

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 24th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Due to the constraints of my current living conditions, every game I own (not counting the games bought from Steam or GOG and a few cartridges) fits in a single 300-sleeve binder, with the game boxes stored separately at my Grandma's house. I probably have about 250 disc-based games from the PS1-Saturn era on up (nothing from the current era yet) and another 40 computer games. Unfortunately I sold my original Nintendo about ten years ago along with about 150 games (I don't even remember what I used the money for) and I only have about 20 cartridges left split between my DSlite, Gameboy, SNES and Genesis (a system I don't even own anymore). I only keep about 4 consoles out at a time, with the others and their various controllers and parts stored in a couple of boxes. I do have a drawer filled with all the controllers and accessories for the PS2/PS3 generations so that stuff is always easy to get at, but otherwise my setup couldn't be more utilitarian.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 24th, 2014, 6:34 pm

My collection is a bit bigger.... I currently have around 1250 games or so (give or take 50) and use multiple methods to store my games. I have three shelves which store everything CD-like on them. I also have 2 Rubber pull out tubs/shelves which have three rows each and hold quite a bit of my cartridge games. I store all my cartridges in there to keep them from getting dirty. I also have two tv's, a nicer newer one and a Sony Trinitron 36". It all conveniently fits inside my game room which is the size of a small bedroom, with the plastic tubs in the sliding door closest along with extra accessories and so forth. It's pretty neat. Moving will be a *bleep* though.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 24th, 2014, 6:43 pm

I had a collection that neared 800 games, that I ended up mostly selling (for $3,000 total) to help fund my move to Seattle. I kept all my Nintendo handhelds, my ten favorite DS games, five favorite 3ds games, all my GBA/gbc games, my top loader with ten games, my PS3 with eight games, my Wii U (I would have sold it if it wasn't for the fact that I transferred a fortune's worth of virtual console games over from my Wii, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise), and my Sega Saturn with no games. I'm honestly happier with a smaller collection.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » June 24th, 2014, 8:25 pm

Between home consoles, portables, and a few retro computers, I have about 45-50 unique systems.  I have no idea how many games, I've never tried counting.  One day I'd like to have a house with a "game room" and everything all set up.. but for now I live in an apartment, and I have no interest in putting the time and effort into such a setup when I will eventually have to move it all.  So, most of it stays in a storage unit, and I just pull stuff out as needed.  For long-term storage, I find that plastic storage bins are the best way to go for console collections, and they usually cost like $5-$15 at Walmart depending on the size.  I try to keep each system in its own bin, together with the games and accessories for it.  For smaller collections (like portable systems), I just use a cardboard box.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » June 24th, 2014, 8:40 pm

I have over 900 physical games (probably over 1100 games if you count xbla, psn, and other downloads). I just have a couple of old consoles connected in the bedroom with a few games of each I intend to play or replay soon stored in a cabinet next to the tv. PS3 and Xbox360 are in the living room with games on dvd/blueray storage. I'm sorry to say that aside from about 12-14 games, my over 250 game Genesis collection was never removed from the boxes it's stored in after my move to my current apartment 2 years ago. I bought a one bedroom apartment and could not justify buying a 2 bedroom just to have a game room displaying everything. Maybe someday. Keep in mind I live in NYC and a 1 bedroom apartment cost the same as a house in much of the country [frown]
I had much more room in my previous place which was a rental.

a1

Postby a1 » June 24th, 2014, 8:55 pm

I have never really counted but I probably have around 500 games. I have most of the cartridges in plastic boxes, and the dvds are on a dvd case. Nothing too creative.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 24th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Probably 30 or 40 games all told on consoles.

Maybe 20 or so handheld.

Physical collection.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 24th, 2014, 11:20 pm

I have 54 PC games, a dozen handheld games, and 26 Xbox 360 titles.

wgames771

Postby wgames771 » June 25th, 2014, 9:26 am

I have about 19 PS1 games, 4 PS3 games, 20 Wii games, and who knows how many PC games.
EDIT: Oops, I forgot to mention those Atari 2600 games that I have. They're mostly the known ones, but a few somewhat rare ones. There's probably around 80 total. Anyway, I don't nessicarily have the games displayed. I just pile them near the system. For example, I have my PS1 and PS3 games piled near the PS3, the Wii games piled by the Wii, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”