Shovel Knight (Wii U, 3DS, PC)

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 26th, 2014, 11:18 am

I've been following this game for a while now. It looks like equal parts Mega Man, Castlevania III, and Ghouls 'n Ghosts. It even has music by the guy who scored the original Mega Man game. Looks like the kind of game the Critic would adore. So far, reviews have been glowing. Nice to have a new Nintendo exclusive (at least among consoles) to brag about!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zddBfV3fpM[/video]

On an unrelated note, I noticed the Critic hasn't reviewed Mega Man 9 or 10. I wonder why! Those games are definitely in the upper echelon of the series, and represent a welcome return to the old graphical style.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Colin Moriarity at IGN (who mostly dislikes everything Nintendo does, although he adores the NES) gave this one a 9.0.  Given that he is the IGN resident expert on old school 2D platformers  and loves every game that inspired this one (Duck Tales, Zelda 2, Megaman, etc) that isn't that surprising.  The review, though, is worth a look. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK2qYMpnOmk

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:31 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Colin Moriarity at IGN (who mostly dislikes everything Nintendo does, although he adores the NES) gave this one a 9.0.  Given that he is the IGN resident expert on old school 2D platformers  and loves every game that inspired this one (Duck Tales, Zelda 2, Megaman, etc) that isn't that surprising.  The review, though, is worth a look. 
[/QUOTE]

God this looks so terrific. I can't wait to play it for the first time tonight.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 26th, 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm all over this one!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 26th, 2014, 1:01 pm

This is the first game to really demonstrate to me that a cross-buy option would be great.  I'd gladly even pay for a "combo pack" that costs less than buying both the 3DS and Wii U versions seperate, but more than buying either one alone.  What I don't like is having to choose between the two versions.  I'm heading out of town today for almost a week, to take my son to an autsim summer camp.  I'm going to be in a cabin with him, and it would be the perfect time to have the 3DS version of this game to play after he goes to sleep in the evening.  However, I am honestly about to call the place to see for sure if there is electricity in our shared cabin, to see if I can bring along the Wii U to play it on the Gamepad.  (In my defense, I know the place has electricity, so that's not as far fetched a scenario as it sounds, just kind of an extremely geeky one).  I'd love to not have to choose here, and would even basically "tip" to have the Wii U version transfer to the 3DS when I need it to. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 26th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Found a neat blog post by one of the developers discussing their approach to replicating the feel of a NES game. http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » June 26th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Shovel Knight seems like a cool game; I bought the PC version via the Humble Store. There is another retro-style indie game that got a successful KickStarter campaign called Volgarr the Viking. That game comes highly recommended; it's an action platformer that is similar to Rastan and Ghouls n Ghosts. You get infinite lives in that game as well, but has strict checkpoint placements.

a1

Postby a1 » June 27th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Picked this up on Wii U this morning. Only played a couple levels but so far so good.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 27th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Also got it. Wii U

It is basically a Mega Man homage, as far as jumping and graphics go. It's pretty fun. It is a challenge, but not old school - you retry as many times as you like and just lose treasure in the process. Really well made games, bosses are quite cool as well.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 27th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Did anybody get it for 3DS? How is it? If it's good, I'm going to download it because I prefer my games to go.

Return to “Video Games General”