Shovel Knight (Wii U, 3DS, PC)

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 27th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Hopefully this ends up with some sort of physical release in the future. I've heard nothing but good things from this game. Seems unlikely though since it was part of a kick starter campaign.

a1

Postby a1 » June 27th, 2014, 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Did anybody get it for 3DS? How is it? If it's good, I'm going to download it because I prefer my games to go.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played it but I've read that the single player is identical to wii u. I think the only difference between the two is that the wii u has multiplayer and the 3ds has spotpass functionality.

a1

Postby a1 » July 2nd, 2014, 6:21 pm

I beat this last night. Very fun game. My main complaint is that I think there should be one really awesome expensive item that you can buy once you buy all the upgrades. As it was I had two levels left and nothing left to buy. I finished the game with nearly 30,000. Would have been nice if I could have spent it on something.

That's such a minor complaint that you know I must love it. I'll be starting on new game plus now and I hope for a sequel.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 2nd, 2014, 9:19 pm

Well I would have to give it an A or an A+, I am quite a ways in.

The bosses sure get an A+. Also for graphics and overall atmosphere. This game plays the nostalgia cards, but not cheaply - what a well built game. Critic, take a dive someday, and get Cave Story on the Wii while you are at it.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 3rd, 2014, 6:39 am

The guys on the IGN Nintendo podcast pointed out that you can up the difficulty to a more "old school" level by destroying the check points. The game gives you treasure if you do that, but if you die, you don't restart at the check point. I absolutely love that idea. I'll be breaking all the check points when I get around to this one (I downloaded it, but am still in Mario Kart fever right now).

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 11th, 2014, 10:25 am

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 11th, 2014, 1:40 pm

On my second play through, and this game is a lot easier after you understand how it works. For exp, I was not the first person to touch the game, so I never went into town and talked to anyone, so I beat like over half the game with 4 life bars my first time through. Whereas you can have 7 or so after beating just a level or two.

Plague Knight is my favorite level.

The worst thing about this game - as a Nintendo console exclusive - is you have to push 'b' in the menu screen to ADVANCE the menu, which we all know is just plain backwards.

Return to “Video Games General”