Super Mario Bros.

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » June 24th, 2014, 7:31 pm

I just beat it without continue for the first time. Got up to 6-4 without dying actually. It'll be a lot tougher to beat the bonus levels too.

m0zart1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby m0zart1 » June 26th, 2014, 8:33 pm

The version I played was in the arcade.  It was mostly the same as the original, but those levels that repeated themselves in the NES version (becoming slightly harder, but having basically the same layout) were replaced with some of the easier levels from the Japanese SMB2 (aka  "Lost Levels").  Me and several locals spent a year trying to beat the game, finally succeeding, and then competing with each other for the best score.  Whatever extra men you had at the end of the game after beating it would net you 100,000 points, so one of the objects then became to collect many more coins to get extra men, all of the green mushrooms, and not die along the way.  There were no extra-man cheats in that version, so this was not a trivial thing to do.  It was a big challenge that at the time I finally won, at least in the sense that no one was able to beat my score after that.  

But as a result of playing this game so much in the arcade, when I did get my first NES with SMB on it, I was disappointed as it felt like a watered-down version of the game.  It wasn't until I played Metroid and Zelda that I realized what a great investment the NES was at the time.

Rev1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Rev1 » June 26th, 2014, 9:51 pm

I guess that makes sense but I never even considered that SMB had an arcade release (I guess most games back then did). Were the graphics and stuff fairly similar?

wgames771

Super Mario Bros.

Postby wgames771 » June 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm

I've never been able to beat the original SMB. The farthest I've made it is World 5-2

m0zart1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby m0zart1 » June 26th, 2014, 11:27 pm

[QUOTE=wgames77]I've never been able to beat the original SMB. The farthest I've made it is World 5-2[/QUOTE]

Identical.  In fact, that's what made the NES seem like such a great buy back then to me and folks like me.

In that age, most of those I knew were judging consoles on how well they approximated arcade games.  Around the time of the NES' march into America, several games were put out into arcades from Nintendo: Excitebike, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Super Mario Bros., etc.  They were running on NES hardware underneath, but we didn't know it.  So when the NES started to get more exposure, it seemed like the answer to our dreams: a console that could play some of our favorite arcade games with identical graphics and sound.  Nintendo really did themselves a favor putting those games out into arcades -- having those same games at home in a nearly perfect arcade rendering was the main reason I bought an NES, and I am sure I wasn't the only one.

However, it wasn't the reason I ended up loving the NES. The console proved itself to me by having games that I could never have conceived of playing in an arcade: games that really highlighted the advantages of home consoles, like the aforementioned Zelda and Metroid.  Those were the kind of games that couldn't have really worked in an arcade.  That was the real and ongoing strength of the NES.

nesfan1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby nesfan1 » July 2nd, 2014, 2:49 am

[QUOTE=velcrozombie]One day I'd like to beat the entire game without using a continue (Start + A).[/QUOTE]I have been playing Super Mario Bros. since the early '90s and I had no idea you could continue. That's nuts. 

Gentlegamer1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Gentlegamer1 » July 2nd, 2014, 8:41 pm

Who needs continues when you can get infinite 1ups?

Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » July 18th, 2014, 2:58 pm

I've always been obsessive about beating games on one credit or without dying. I'd been trying for a month to beat it (the first 8 worlds) without dying. I finally did it last night. I actually got to the 4th extra world before I died. Being the idiot I am, I beat all 32 levels, no warps. It's really awesome to make it with the firesuit for 10-15 levels without losing it. Being the idiot I am, I just might try to beat all the extra worlds too without dying.

Jon1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Jon1 » November 9th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Well, I just beat every level including the extra levels without dying. It feels great. That was a lot of well timed jumps, lol.

Segatarious1

Super Mario Bros.

Postby Segatarious1 » November 9th, 2014, 5:12 pm

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]Who needs continues when you can get infinite 1ups?[/QUOTE]

What is the secret to this trick?

I never cared until NES Remix, I never beat that challenge.. [frown]

Return to “Now Playing”