2014/7/8: Genesis: Aladdin, Forgotten Worlds, Galaxy Force II

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Hope you enjoy this new set of Genesis reviews.

Aladdin is new (hard to believe) and so is Forgotten Worlds.

Galaxy Force II is a re-review, changed from an F to a C-.  I was way off with this one.

sixam1

Postby sixam1 » July 8th, 2014, 8:03 pm

While looking at the Galaxy Force II review, I noticed the Gargoyles review directly below it. Gargoyles should have the Based on a TV Show icon.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 8th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Interesting reviews. I was a bit confused with the A- on Aladdin. It definitely sounds like you enjoyed the game but it seems like you described a game that was more worthy of an A versus an A- (small difference but it's what I thought when reading it). You praised the game a ton and really the only negative aspect of the game was occasionally taking a hit while fighting. If you're to give it an A- at least throw in another sentence or two explaining some other problems you've had with the game. 

As for Forgotten Worlds, are you going to be re-reviewing the Turbografx game? I'm interested to hear your comparison since they sound very similar. It's been over a decade sine you reviewed the original so it might be worth another look.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » July 8th, 2014, 10:48 pm

The A- for Aladdin is because it's not as good as Aladdin on the SNES, which received an A.  That's just my opinion, though.  I personally had more fun playing the SNES version despite not having the original Disney artists providing the arts assets for the game like the Genesis version did.

Den1

Postby Den1 » July 8th, 2014, 10:54 pm

I have a soft spot for Forgotten Worlds.  That, along with Space Harrier 2, Rambo 3 and Ghosts & Ghosts, were the first Genesis games I played, and all of them blew my mind.  It was such an incredible step up from the NES.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » July 9th, 2014, 3:17 am

Your review for the Sega Genesis port of Galaxy Force II may be the kindest ever written - there's not a single comparison to the Intellivion's graphics to be found.

Any chance you'll ever take a crack at the 3ds version? I'll admit, its simple Atari age gameplay mechanics take a backseat to the visuals (Actually, they might be the body in the trunk), but those visuals are what every arcade space shooter in the 80's wanted to be. Forget the Genesis, the 32x couldn't hope to push this many giant sprites on screen at once.  

Even the Sega Saturn struggled with the framerate.

It's still an impressive tech demo, even today.

Splash1

Postby Splash1 » July 9th, 2014, 9:06 am

Say, you ever played the NES version of Aladdin. I've actually seen some pretty good NES ports of 16-Bit games, and the NES version of Aladdin tries to mimick the Genesis version. (Why do NES versions try to mimick the Genesis version of games instead of their SNES counterpars?)

The NES version of Aladdin is actually pretty dang... uhh, what's the word. ...Oh yeah, Disgusting. Hideous graphics, choppy framerate, clunky controls, a whole myriad of problems really. But if you're ever in the mood for checking out bad games, NES Aladdin is for you.

crimefighter1

Postby crimefighter1 » July 9th, 2014, 9:07 am

In Forgotten Worlds there is a game setting that will swing the "gauntlet" in tandum with your warrior instead of spin it in place - makes the game easier to play.

a1

Postby a1 » July 9th, 2014, 11:15 am

[QUOTE=Splash]Say, you ever played the NES version of Aladdin. I've actually seen some pretty good NES ports of 16-Bit games, and the NES version of Aladdin tries to mimick the Genesis version. (Why do NES versions try to mimick the Genesis version of games instead of their SNES counterpars?)

The NES version of Aladdin is actually pretty dang... uhh, what's the word. ...Oh yeah, Disgusting. Hideous graphics, choppy framerate, clunky controls, a whole myriad of problems really. But if you're ever in the mood for checking out bad games, NES Aladdin is for you.[/QUOTE]

Hm. I don't reckon that was released in America as I've never heard of it and don't see any carts on eBay

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 9th, 2014, 12:13 pm

[QUOTE=a]Hm. I don't reckon that was released in America as I've never heard of it and don't see any carts on eBay[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think it may have been PAL only. It is odd that games were being released for the NES in 1994 when it wasn't particularly popular in that region. Found a current eBay link here: 
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEU-NES-DISNEYS-ALADDIN-NINTENDO-PAL-/181423589923?pt=FR_Jeux_Vid%C3%A9o&hash=item2a3db04a23

Return to “Review Feedback”