2014/7/13: Playstation 3: Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest, Sorcery, Wonderbook: Book of Spells

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2014/7/13: Playstation 3: Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest, Sorcery, Wonderbook: Book of Spells

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 13th, 2014, 2:13 pm

These three reviews may help explain why Sony's motion strategy never panned out.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 13th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Motion controls are silly. Never once did I feel like I was doing what was on screen. Usually, motion controls are too inaccurate and simplified to create whatever sense of immersion they were supposed to. Gimmicky game design doesn't help either.

My Wii is getting far more use as an emulator box anyway.

a1

Postby a1 » July 13th, 2014, 2:41 pm

In response to your question I believe the camera has a microphone in it, not the controller.

I feel like Sony was the bigger offender in terms of riding Nintendo's coattails with the motion control dad. At least the Kinect was new technology and tried something different. The move works better than the original wii controllers, and maybe even better than motion plus, but it didn't bring anything new to the table.

I remember the commercial they tried taking a shot at nintendo by saying their controller had more buttons. If that's the best they have you know that the tech is going to die. I like sports champions (more coattail riding) and the couple of rail shooters I have (both ports of wii games), but I wouldn't keep the move if I weren't a collector.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 13th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Sounds like the 360 easily had the better motion control games, speaking of which I think you should give Heavy Armor another look.  One reason why the Move failed is Sony barely put any kind of effort into actually promoting the damn thing, I never even heard of any of these games until now.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » July 13th, 2014, 3:04 pm

In two of the reviews, the criticism is aimed at the quality and repetition of the games, rather than the technical abilities of the Move controllers.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 13th, 2014, 3:48 pm

The Move was such a big disappointment. I never really had the desire to try it but if there would have been at least a few decent games that solely used the Move I might have changed my mind. Good reviews. Thanks.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 13th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I would say Kinect was a Eyetoy upgrade rather than a great new idea.

a1

Postby a1 » July 14th, 2014, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=Sut]I would say Kinect was a Eyetoy upgrade rather than a great new idea.[/QUOTE]

In concept I would say no, it's very different from eyetoy. A 3d camera had never been made anywhere nearcheap enough for mass consumption, so what Microsoft did in regards to the tech was very impressive.

Unfortunately, in execution, yeah, it's basically an eyetoy. The best games were ones that probably didn't need a 3d camera to work. Dance Central was probably the best use of the camera; it was the one exclusive.that seems like it couldn't be done as well with other tech. Games like Kinect Adventures and Kinect Sports were fun, but could have been just as well done with a 2d camera and/or a.motion controller. Games that tried to utilize the camera for more precise movements were usually catastrophies (ie Steel Batallion), so the minority report menu manipulation we expected amounted to no more than a pipe dream.

Anuway, regarding the reviews: I almost pucked up Medieval Moves on a couple occasions; I think it got a pretty good review on ign. The problem with ogn is their reviewers only rebiew for one platform, so the ps3 reviewer tends to be biased towards sony and will review something unique lime Medieval Moves more highly. It's not a good policy to have. Better to have people who have all the consoles review, that way they see crap as crap without any company loyalty closing their judgement. Glad I didn't pick that game up now.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 14th, 2014, 2:33 pm

Steel Battalion handles precise movements pretty well as long as you don't jerk around too much(which was the mistake a lot of game reviewers made) and you were the right distance from the TV, Rise Of Nightmares was also a pretty good title that utilized the Kinnect well.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » July 15th, 2014, 3:40 pm

Honestly, I think the Medieval Moves review is one of the worst reviews I've ever seen on this site. You praise the game many times about the precision of the controllers and how effective other areas of the game are. But then turn around and whine because you said you had to stand the whole time? Critic, that is your problem not the game. Please review the game, not your ability to stand on your own two feet.

Wii Sports is arguably better played while standing up most of the time, too. The bowling mini-games in particular. There isn't much room for a decent follow thru while sitting down.

Return to “Review Feedback”