Goldeneye (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 13th, 2014, 10:39 pm

I had never played this one because I don't own an N64, but I figured emulators have improved since that time I tried it in 2008 and ended up in DirectX hell so I used one of those.

I don't think I need to tell people how good it is, we all know. One thing that astounds me though is that the whole game is 12mb and yet has more content than any shooter right now. Even outside the game, all the stuff they dummied out of the ROM is fascinating. You have that Citadel level that Rare pretended didn't exist, hidden cheats, a Spectrum emulator with a bunch of Rare games, and tons of other stuff I'm forgetting.

If anyone's interested, I'd recommend checking out the Cutting Room Floor page for Goldeneye. Lots of stuff to read through.

I'll have to move onto Perfect Dark when I'm done.

Dogtanian1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 14th, 2014, 8:18 am

To be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Goldeneye. At the time it came out I was playing Quake online, and it therefore didn't have the same impact on me as it did on those who hadn't ever played a multiplayer FPS before. 4 players on the same screen may have been revolutionary in a way, but compared to the mayhem of 8-16 online it was paltry. Obviously the modern dual analogue pads are more appropriate for FPS games, but even now using anything but a keyboard and mouse for multiplayer FPS seems anachronistic to me.

I do intend to give the single player campaign another go at some point though.

pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 14th, 2014, 11:13 am

It does take a bit of time to get used to the controls (and I'm playing this on a Wii with a GameCube controller so it's all just confusing) but the game makes it a bit easier with the auto-aim. Most of the time though, I can't stand shooters with a controller.

I'm not sure you can compare Quake's multiplayer with Goldeneye though. With Quake, every client runs on its own machine. The N64 needs to drive four different viewports and process the game environment on one machine. It's amazing it isn't unplayable.

ActRaiser1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 14th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting.  I had no idea it sort of included a Spectrum emulator.  That's pretty sweet.

I'm not sure if the Wii hook up you're using supports it, but the original game also supported dual controllers so that it would play like a standard PS3/Xbox game with dual sticks.  One stick moves.  One stick lets you look around.  You might give that a shot to see if that helps with the controls although I can only imagine the goofy wires everywhere.

The real fun in playing Goldeneye is the 4 player split screen with a bunch of friends taking turns killing one another.  Ahh, the old college days.  Good times.  We lost many a night playing Goldeneye.

Vexer1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Vexer1 » July 14th, 2014, 2:28 pm

My feelings on this game are meh, I might've been more impressed had I played it when it originally came out, but ultimately I feel it has not aged well at all.

pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 14th, 2014, 3:43 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]My feelings on this game are meh, I might've been more impressed had I played it when it originally came out, but ultimately I feel it has not aged well at all.[/QUOTE]
Somehow that doesn't concern me. Who cares if something ages badly, is it fun?

Besides, how else do you make a FPS work on that controller? (hint: there really isn't a better way)

Vexer1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Vexer1 » July 14th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Pacguy19- Well I care, because I didn't find it fun and that was mainly because of how poorly it aged.  The main problem more then anything else is the fake difficulty, because enemy placements are completely different each time you play through a level and constantly respawn, beating a level comes down much more to sheer blind luck then actual skill.

pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 14th, 2014, 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]Pacguy19- Well I care, because I didn't find it fun and that was mainly because of how poorly it aged.  The main problem more then anything else is the fake difficulty, because enemy placements are completely different each time you play through a level and constantly respawn, beating a level comes down much more to sheer blind luck then actual skill.[/QUOTE]
How bad are you at aiming? These guys almost never fire and only took me out once in the first half of the game.

The random enemy placements are a good thing, because if you knew where they'd be every time then that's just boring. I suppose any game with random elements has fake difficulty right?

The respawning is annoying, sure, but keep picking up guns and you have bottomless magazines anyway. I found it way more annoying to try and shoot around scientists.

I think the game could use a bit more explaining as to what you're supposed to do. The level where you're trying to copy the Goldeneye key didn't bother to tell me that I had to go hunt around in my watch for the key copier. The amount of detail for the missions in general is cool though.

Segatarious1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Segatarious1 » July 14th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Fake difficulty?  [confused][confused][confused]

Blind Luck?       [confused][confused][confused]

One thing about it, you do have a gun. Only sissy's use auto aim. 1.2 or don't show up.

Vexer1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Vexer1 » July 14th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Pacguy19- Why is you automatically assume i'm "bad" at aiming when you can't possibly prove it?  It has nothing to do with "aiming", it hardly matters in places like Aztec where enemies can easily kill you before you even get a chance to aim at them.  

Random placements would be fine if it wasn't for endless respawning, combining the two just feels very cheap and more often then not it comes down to luck rather then skill, especially with that infamous glitch where the shuttle bay doors randomly refuse to open for no apparent reason.

Return to “Now Playing”