Mario Golf World Tour (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Beware of this game.  Seems fun at first, but there are a lot of irritating things about it.  For one thing, to unlock courses you need to play as your Mii.  Sorry, but I bought this game to play as Mario and company.  Bogus!

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 20th, 2014, 3:35 pm

I don't get Miis. They're a cute novelty but the way Nintendo pushes them you'd swear they'd cure cancer or at least enhance the game in some way. I just use the guest Miis.

a1

Postby a1 » July 20th, 2014, 11:33 pm

You only need to play as your mii on two courses and you can stop. Once you beat the first course and the beach course the mountain course is unlocked. Takes less than am hour. The rest of the courses are 9 holes and are unlocked be getting start coins through challenges which let you play as anyone. I dislike miis as much as anyone but I wouldn't fault this game for its very light use of them. It's a great game and I encourage you to try the challenge mode. I like the game so much I splurged on the dlc.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » July 21st, 2014, 1:24 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]For one thing, to unlock courses you need to play as your Mii.  Sorry, but I bought this game to play as Mario and company.  Bogus![/QUOTE]This is an annoying trend. I bought Fortune Street for Wii a few months back. It has both Mario and Dragon Quest characters, which makes up a pretty awesome roster. But if you wanna unlock characters and stages, you have to play as a Mii. In fact if you play any mode in single player, you're forced to use a Mii. Why would I ever use a Mii in a game that crosses over two awesome franchises?
They also announced Mii characters for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. So this will be the first time in any Smash game that I'll completely ignore a character option.
Miis make sense for games in the Wii series. But in any other game, Miis are so lame.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 21st, 2014, 7:26 am

Miis are great. I use them in every game I can.  I finally learned you have to make your mii extra tall and extra heavy to make your kart go faster in Mario Kart 8.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 21st, 2014, 6:05 pm

are the Mii's any faster then normal characters on MK8? I'd still rather play Toadette though.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 21st, 2014, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]are the Mii's any faster then normal characters on MK8? I'd still rather play Toadette though.[/QUOTE]

That's just it - it depends on how heavy they are. So, make them heavy. Back in Double Dash there was a trade off in handling if you got a heavy, high speed character, in addition to the tradeoff in acceleration. But that is gone now - so in MK8 - get heavy or get out!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 21st, 2014, 9:01 pm

If the Mii character isn't any heavier then the other characters then they really aren't any different then the other game modes. I'm not sure how it is calculated but I would assume the characters weight only throws them in the weight class and doesn't actually maximize their speed past other ultra heavy weights.

Also... Being heavier is definitely better for time trial but not necessarily for the competition mode (or basic online play) due to items. I tend to run the maximum speed for Toadette and she is a normal light weight. Making sure you get maximum coins and have decent acceleration for the inevitable red shell, fireball, blue shell, or whatever is very useful and helps more on many tracks. It is very hard to get the very tight turns with the heavy weight and have decent acceleration without sacrificing the character's max speed (which is the main reason you'd use them other then to knock people off the track) in the process, in which point you might as well feel free to use whatever character you want (except baby weights) because most characters can reach a heavy weight's minimum speed with the correct setup.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2014, 10:59 pm

I can't stand this game!  Why is the grid rainbow colored?  I can't even see the flag!  Ugh.

Return to “Now Playing”