Controllers: Most comfortable and least comfortable?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2014, 1:55 pm

I was trying to figure out what is the most comfortable controller and I think I need to go with the original Sega Genesis 3-button controller.  It's rounded, easy to grip, and with three buttons you don't need to contort your hands in any way.  The digital pad is good also.

The worst?  I think that might be the Colecovision.  The stick is extremely tight.  The buttons on the side are soft, but that hand also needs to provide the stability you need to move the stick.  It's hand-cramping to say the least.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » August 3rd, 2014, 2:14 pm

The Gamecube and PS2 controllers are the most comfortable ones I've used.

Atari never made great controllers, the 2600 one was bad and the rest of them don't even need to be mentioned.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 3rd, 2014, 2:21 pm

For me it would probably be the N-64 controller, just felt very awkward and unwieldy.

Most comfortable would be the 360 controller, it molds to my hands perfectly and it was well-suited for long play sessions.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » August 3rd, 2014, 3:02 pm

My faves are the Genesis 3 button, and xbox 360 controllers.

Least fave are Colecovision, and Jaguar. Why did Atari go with a Colecovision like numeric pad in the late 90s is beyond me.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 4th, 2014, 1:02 am

I love the Original Xbox controller type S. It really feels great in my hands. Xbox 360 is great as well.

Another favorite of mine is the Atari paddle controller. Feels great in the palm of my hand.

One of the strange things in gaming I collect are third party controllers for the Atari 2600 some of them are the worst controllers ever designed in gaming history.

I have a motion controller for the Atari called "Le Stick". It is a joystick with no base. Inside of it there is a mercury switch kind of like whats in your thermostat at home. The controller is comfy in your hand but doesn't work worth a damn. 

Even worse is a controller for the Atari by Suncom called "Joystick Simulator". This was supposedly a touch button controller kind of like what you see on an iPod. As far as I can tell it works even worse then "Le Stick".

For the Colecovision I found a nice controller from a 3rd party that Kills the OEM controller. It is from SpectraVideo. It has a pistol grip joystick and clicky buttons instead of the mushy buttons on the OEM's. Also the bottom of the controller has suction cups if you want to stick it to a table or desk.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 4th, 2014, 1:29 am

There was one third-party Genesis controller I used to have called the Turbo Touch 360(or something like that) it was supposed to simulate motion controls by using a touch-pad instead of an actual D-pad, it was a piece of crap and trying to do anything with it was a struggle.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » August 4th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Most comfortable:
Sega Saturn (2nd iteration): Great D-pad, responsive buttons, well spaced and comfortable.
Sega Mega Drive 6 Button: Very similar to the Saturn pad but not as well defined.
Sony Dualshocks: it's shape is now very Iconic and for good reason, not great for fighters due to the D-pad but excellent for racers.

Uncomfortable:
Dreamcast: Way too much going on, the VMU takes up too much real estate d-pad is sharp and the damn cord on the bottom. Think I saw on Game Sack an adapter to use a Saturn controller, if so - do that!
N64 - similar to above, just trying to be too clever and has far too much going on.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » August 4th, 2014, 3:53 pm

I would say the Wii U Pro Controller is in the running for most comfortable as it grips very well on my hands. My least comfortable controller is without a doubt a tie between the Atari 7800 "Pro" Stick and the Colecovision Controller; I think the winner would be the Atari 7800 as even the buttons are very stiff, whereas the Colecovision's buttons are smoother. On the contrary, Europeans did get an improved controller, while not great, it is a huge improvement; the Colecovision, with exception of the Roller Controller and Expansion Model 2 (steering wheel and pedal), always had bad controllers.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » August 4th, 2014, 9:28 pm

I'll keep that in mind about the Wii U Pro Controller because the Wii Pro Controller is the biggest crock of garbage I've ever seen in my life. To have to plug it in to the Wiimote is a joke. What am I supposed to do, get a pouch for Wiimote? To have to always have that "thing" (I don't consider that piece of **** a controller) within 2 feet is not exactly what I had in mind. 

Return to “Video Games General”