Hardcore vs Casual labels

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 28th, 2014, 7:58 am

I go between liking these types of terms and hating them.  I think they work best if there are three terms. 

Casual gamer: Someone who plays games, but considers it a distraction, not a hobby.

Core gamer: Someone who spends money on games and goes to some effort aquiring them (downloading on Steam, buying League of Legends point cards, signing up for Wow, buying a game in a store, etc.).  These people consider gaming a hobby, or at least an entertainment format equivalent to TV.

Hardcore gamer: Someone who does everything the core gamer does, but also considers gaming a primary hobby.  This type of person will read about games, or buy them early, or be excited for them to come out before they do.  Generally, but not always, these people will know a little about how games are made, what companies make them, and some history of the industry.

Quick rule of thumb -- If something on this site strikes your fancy, chances are you are a hardcore gamer:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/

I often wonder what people in other hobbies do with these distinctions, and where I fall in their definitions.

For example, I enjoy mountain biking.  Because of the incredible summer here, I have been on the trail pretty much every day for the last few weeks.  I am lucky enough to have the trans Canada Trail actually touch my property line, so I can just hop on my cheap ol' bike, ride for a few minutes in either direction, and then follow a pole line or ATV trail to anywhere.  However, my bike is cheap and I don't define myself as a mountain biker.  My friend used to be really, really into biking, and has insanely expensive mountain and road bikes.  However, he hasn't been on his more than once this summer (kids will do that to you) and maybe twice last summer.  Is he still a hardcore mountain biker?  I'm sure he'd love to go on bike again.  I've spent way less money on it, but way more time at it.  However, it's so easy for me to get on a geat trail, and harder for him, so doesn't that mean something?  And real hardcore mountain bikers almost surely go on trips just to reach trails.  So, isn't someone in a city who has to drive to reach a trail, but who goes out of their way to do that every other weekend to hit some incredible trails,  more hardcore than me just walking to my property line, even if I spend more time on the bike? 

Just for kicks, I typed "Hardcore mountain biker" into google, and got a lot back.  It would appear we're not the only ones navel gazing.  [smile]

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 28th, 2014, 2:51 pm

I guess i'm a hardcore gamer then.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » July 29th, 2014, 9:19 pm

I think too many people worry about labels or being labled.
I collect games and systems like they are going out of style,
and play games just the same. But I don't consider myself
hardcore or casual, or what ever, I just enjoy playing,
plain and simple.

Ozzy

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » August 2nd, 2014, 12:02 pm

I play video games.  Labels are for people who try to market games and other things. 

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » August 3rd, 2014, 6:23 pm

Those who still spend at least $300 each on a CPU and videocard in order to run Star Citizen at 60 fps at 1440p yet will still enjoy a long session of Crusader Kings II on a laptop are hardcore gamers.  Everyone else is a casual gamer.

Return to “Modern Gaming”