Unexpected Audience, such as Brony fandom

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » August 3rd, 2014, 10:38 pm

My Little Pony was/is a toy from the 80s that was/is geared toward little girls, much like Strawberry Shortcake. If you're an older dude that's into My Little Pony...that's just weird.

If you disagree with that (Vexer?), I "strongly disagree with you."

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » August 3rd, 2014, 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]haha, what were you doing there?  (I'm not disagreeing, just making an observation).[/QUOTE]
My little sister talks about it incessantly. I wish she didn't.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 3rd, 2014, 11:07 pm

Why are grown men in 2014 watching a cartoon (My Little Pony) that I can remember watching once in a while with my sisters back nearly 30 years ago when we were little kids?

Are there Care Bear conventions, too? 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 4th, 2014, 12:30 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Why are grown men in 2014 watching a cartoon (My Little Pony) that I can remember watching once in a while with my sisters back nearly 30 years ago when we were little kids?

Are there Care Bear conventions, too? [/QUOTE]

Skeletor should have slayed them all back then. I suspect this was always one of his secret ultimate goals.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 4th, 2014, 1:14 am

Leo- Because unlike the old MLP show, this one wasn't made only with kids in mind.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 4th, 2014, 1:20 am

[QUOTE=Josh]Yeah, I don't care what anybody says, grown men being fans of My Little Pony is messed up.

I do disagree with Oltobaz that Skeletor should have slayed them all. Hordak would be better suited for that job since he was She-Ra's arch enemy (he got the skills to battle that feminine stuff) . . . yeah, I'm an 80's nerd.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Grizzlor would have been the perfect henchman [wink]

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 4th, 2014, 1:28 am

Wow, surprised that people are so incredibly judgemental towards others just because they like a certain show. I don't see how older people liking the show is "messed up" at all.

Personally, I think when someone judges others for liking MLP(and other similar shows), it says a lot more about them then it does about the fanbase.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » August 4th, 2014, 10:45 am

I'd have no problem with them simply liking the show. But to give your fanbase a name in a vein similar to the Beliebers and attend massive conventions and suddenly talk about it at length in every profile you've ever created...

That's creepy. You can't spin that any other way. And that's without mentioning the sex offenders.
[QUOTE=Vexer]Personally, I think when someone judges others for liking MLP(and other similar shows), it says a lot more about them then it does about the fanbase.[/QUOTE]
At least you've found a way to feel superior to them.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » August 4th, 2014, 11:40 am

Back in high school (when I was 16 or so) I went through a pretty intense period of fandom for Sailor Moon, and you can't get much more girly than that (not to mention that I wasn't the only one). Admittedly it didn't last very long and was superseded by Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ninja Scroll and the Miyazaki films, but I still watched or read stuff like Cardcaptor Sakura and Revolutionary Princess Utena on the side. I also remember being a very young kid in the early-mid Eighties and watching Jem and Rainbow Brite alongside Voltron and He-Man - I didn't differentiate between cartoons for boys and girls back then.

Return to “Video Games General”