No good reason to buy a PS4 or Xbox One

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 10th, 2014, 10:22 pm

It just occurred to me that there is STILL not a really good reason to buy a Playstation 4 or Xbox One. Neither system has anything to offer you could get with the last generation, and most of their games are available on the PS3/Xbox 360.

Maybe the situation will change when some of the higher profile titles come out this fall, but maybe not!

Now the Wii U on the other hand, that's worth buying.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 10th, 2014, 10:42 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]It just occurred to me that there is STILL not a really good reason to buy a Playstation 4 or Xbox One. Neither system has anything to offer you could get with the last generation, and most of their games are available on the PS3/Xbox 360.

Maybe the situation will change when some of the higher profile titles come out this fall, but maybe not!

Now the Wii U on the other hand, that's worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Seconded! We're still in the Golden Era of PS360, and games are about to get uber cheap just like they did with the PS2.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » August 10th, 2014, 10:44 pm

While im glad I got my ps4 (thank you to my awesome gf! )
Right now, I agree a lot of games you can just get on the
previous consoles, but I am looking forward to whats coming
so that does make me glad that I do have one !

Ozzy

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 11th, 2014, 2:05 am

I agree! Still no game has compelled me to buy anything other than a wii u. Hopefully something will come out to make it worth while before the holidays.

I'll be buying Madden 15 for the ps4 for my godson. So I'll be getting a good look at that game when it comes out.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » August 11th, 2014, 8:46 am

Love my PS4. Rogue legacy and watchdogs are reason enough for me. I think there is really no reason to buy a Wii U. Not a single game released for it in August! I bought one and so far it's collecting dust. Super Mario brothers and Mario kart are just more of the same. I hope pick in 3 is worthwhile

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 11th, 2014, 10:19 am

Most of the newer games run worse and worse on the previous generation, so the remasters are convenient since major games like Halo 4 and GTA V exhausted the 360/PS3 hardware. Heck if I went full speed on a motorcycle the amount of NPC's on screen dwindled.

Also, heh, no backwards compatibility... It's a good thing this is being addressed with the Master Chief Collection: which contains classic Multiplayer. The Last of Us is amazing but of course people whine about great games.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » August 11th, 2014, 12:51 pm

So what can you get on the Wii U that you couldn't get on the Wii?

Super Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Rayman...they all had great games on the Wii. So what am I missing that's so fresh & exciting on the Wii U??

Let's face it - It's still "more of the same" like the PS4 & Xbox One, just with slightly better visuals.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 11th, 2014, 1:24 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]So what can you get on the Wii U that you couldn't get on the Wii?

Super Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Rayman...they all had great games on the Wii. So what am I missing that's so fresh & exciting on the Wii U??

Let's face it - It's still "more of the same" like the PS4 & Xbox One, just with slightly better visuals. [/QUOTE]
The PS4 and X1 lack any essential titles, whereas the Wii U has a lot of games you can't play anywhere else. It's not analogous because I can play the newest CoD, Wolfenstein, or Battlefield on my PS3, 360, or PC. Where else can I play Mario Kart 8 but the Wii U?

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 11th, 2014, 1:39 pm

On the PS4, check out Resogun.  That's my #1 pick for the console.

On the One, checkout Sixty Second Shooter.

You get 60 seconds to rack up a high score, rinse, and repeat.  It's a twin stick shooter.  Sadly, it's not as good as Geometry Wars but it scratches the right itch.

You could also checkout Killer Instinct.  Visually, I don't think it could be done on the 360/PS3.  Gameplay wise, well, it's a 1 on 1 fighter, so, it could be played on a NES.

For future fall games exclusive to the One checkout the following:
Sunset Overdrive 10/28
Project Spark - Early October

a1

Postby a1 » August 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]So what can you get on the Wii U that you couldn't get on the Wii?

Let's face it - It's still "more of the same" like the PS4 & Xbox One, just with slightly better visuals. [/QUOTE]

I think the difference is that they're actually sequels rather than just ports of last generation's games. Pretty big difference. I don't thin there's a whole lot on wii u to justify a purchase but definitely more than the other consoles.

I'll probably hold out on getting a ps4 until a new uncharted and the new batman. I see nothing on the horizon for xbox one that interests me aside from halo and that's not enough for me after all the stuff Microsoft tried to pull.

Return to “Modern Gaming”