RIP Robin Williams

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby BanjoPickles1 » August 11th, 2014, 11:30 pm

I know that there is a general rule that everything posted should somehow be tied in with video games. Well:

Robin Williams WAS an avid gamer, even going so far as to name his daughter Zelda! How awesome is that?

He was also one of my all-time favorite comedians/actors. Here's a confession that nobody, outside of this forum, knows: there was once a time, in the early 90's, when I wanted him to be my dad! He was hysterical, but there was also a warmth to him that doesn't seem to have a place in today's cynical comedic realm. I actually teared up when I read that he had passed. What makes it hard, and hits home for me, is that he may have committed suicide due to his struggles with depression. As somebody who has depression himself, it breaks my heart that he left this world not having any peace!

So, from one gamer to another, I sincerely hope that you found your peace on the other side! Thanks for so many wonderful memories!

velcrozombie1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby velcrozombie1 » August 12th, 2014, 11:31 am

I was CRUSHED when I heard about Robin Williams. I wish I could say that I hadn't felt like this in a while, but Philip Seymour Hoffman was only like six months ago and that was equally rough. Marc Maron had Robin on his WTF podcast a few years ago and he seemed like a terribly sweet but melancholy man who had demons that he could never quite get rid of. I hope that he has found some peace.

scotland171

RIP Robin Williams

Postby scotland171 » August 12th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Since he was a longtime video gamer, here are some video game elements we can think of as being linked to Robin Williams:

Popeye - He was the title character in a cheesy 1980s movie.  The Popeye video game is from 1982.   Not that its a movie tie in, but still.  What is kinda neat is that Nintendo wanted to get the license for Popeye for a new game...a game that became Donkey Kong!  Its not like Popeye was almost Mario or ever would have become Mario, as he would have been licensed, but its still neat that Popeye and Donkey Kong could have melded.  Maybe a bit of Bluto is why DK wears a tie.  And Peach is all that over Olive.

Peter Pan in Hook - He played the not title character of Peter in the 1991 movie Hook.  Hook got several video game tie ins, from side scrollers to even a point and click adventure.

The Genie from Aladdin - Who could forget the Genie!  Williams was also the Merchant at the beginning. "Like so many things, it is not what is outside, but what is inside that counts".  Aladdin got several video game tie-ins too.

The Man trapped in Jumangi - Williams was a boy/man who got trapped in the game for decades.  I think there are some Jumangi games out there

Penguins in Happy Feet - Williams also played two roles in the animated Happy Feet movie, which got the required video game tie-ins

Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum:Battle at the Smithsonian - Obligatory movie tie ins.

I think a playing a little Aladdin or Popeye might be nice.

Leave you with this quote from the end of Aladdin:

Aladdin: Genie, I wish for your freedom.

Genie: One bona fide prince pedigree coming up. I. What?

Aladdin: [He holds the lamp up to Genie] Genie, you're free!

Segatarious1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby Segatarious1 » August 12th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Why have the mods not locked and deleted this topic yet?

Corruption!

HardcoreSadism1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 12th, 2014, 2:50 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Why have the mods not locked and deleted this topic yet?

Corruption![/QUOTE]

Why haven't the mods BANNED YOU permanently?

ptdebate1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby ptdebate1 » August 12th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Corruption![/QUOTE]

Because no-one has started posting inflammatory remarks. Oh wait...

scotland171

RIP Robin Williams

Postby scotland171 » August 12th, 2014, 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious] Why have the mods not locked and deleted this topic yet? Corruption![/QUOTE]

Tact: from the latin for touching (like in tactile)
Definition: Adroitness and sensitivity in dealing with others or sensitive issues. A keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense.  
Synonyms include diplomacy, subtlety, and understanding.
Antonyms include bad manners, ineptness, impoliteness, ignorance, thoughtlessness and rudeness.

1) What would be the point of 'locked and deleted'?  Unless this thread is like William Wallace, I think one method of execution is enough.

2) We've had threads on Pat "Madden" Summerall, and Roger "not art" Ebert and others tangentially related to video games. I guess we neglected to note Bob "Mario" Hoskins passing a few months ago. This is not out of the ordinary.   

3) Robin "Peter Pan/ Genie" Williams was played characters that were in video games, and also, like us, a video gamer. I linked an article about him *as a video gamer* and posted his loose connections to video gaming from 1982 to today.    

4) The thread was topical. It would have come and gone like a leaf on the wind.  A day after its creation, only three of us had posted on it.  Now, instead of a footprint in the sand, its like doogie doo on your shoe. 

Segatarious1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby Segatarious1 » August 12th, 2014, 6:22 pm

This is not game related at all. Thats why.

Teddybear1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby Teddybear1 » August 12th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Thanks scotland17 for supplying the justified video game tie-in for Robin Williams.  I forgot about that awful Popeye movie.  While not a big fan of his comedies I did like a few of his serious roles (Dead Poets and Good Will Hunting.)

While I am mostly unaffected by this news personally I am sorry to have heard about it.  There is a triple crown in this life that most don't achieve (health, wealth and happiness) and apparently happiness was out of his grasp.

Gilly1

RIP Robin Williams

Postby Gilly1 » August 12th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Corruption![/QUOTE]

Joking?

Return to “Video Games General”