Big Mario Kart 8 DLC expansions on the way

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » August 27th, 2014, 8:26 am

Ugh. Even Nintendo is doing DLC now. That's depressing. I was hoping to get this game soon but I guess now I ought to hold out for a possible game of the year edition. Or at least something like they did with New Super Luigi U where they released it on a separate disc.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » August 27th, 2014, 8:28 am

So Oltobaz is spot on then. You hate it until you like it.

Okay, but dlc is just a form of bundled microtransaction, and a big slide down the slope of freemium modelling.

Reminds me of an old joke:
'Would you sell yourself for $1?', asked Person 1
'Of course not', replied Person 2
'How about for $10 million?' countered 2
'Well, for that much, yeah' said 1 honestly
'Great. Now that thats established, we are just haggling on price.'

Once you buy dlc, regardless of telling yourelf its an expansion pack to the worlds greatest mart racer, you have lost your integrity to rail against modern profit models. Once Jimmy Stewart puts down the law books and picks up a gun to settle with Liberty Valance, he is never the same.

I am happy you love the game, but I am disappointed you are not sticking to your colts on this. Sure it may be quixotic to fight dlc, but kinda Jimmy Stewart noble too. If the Nintendo faithful said no dlc ever, then they may escape the future of piecemeal buying bits of game data ad nauseum. You will no doubt love your kart dlc, but dont overlook that the honey comes with the bee stings.

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » August 27th, 2014, 8:47 am

I can't help but feel that this DLC is perhaps Nintendo testing the waters for a potential "Super Smash Kart"...

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 27th, 2014, 9:18 am

[QUOTE=nesfan] Or at least something like they did with New Super Luigi U where they released it on a separate disc.[/QUOTE]

Won't happen, nobody would want to switch discs going from track to track and Nintendo wouldn't duplicate MK8 on the expansion disc to rectify that since they don't want to make it possible to sell the base game.

And they'd need a one time code if the DLC disc didn't need to be in the drive and was just an install disc to keep you from passing it on, defeating much of the desirability of seeing it get a retail release in the first place (although I'm sure there's someone offline somewhere that would appreciate it.).

If it were to get a physical release, it has to be bundled as I see it.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 27th, 2014, 9:51 am

It was only a matter of time Nintendo delved into DLC Expansions. Kinda like the Wii using regularly sized DVD's.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 27th, 2014, 10:54 am

I'll buy it.  I don't love DLC, but I have bought it before, with mixed results.  I paid real, actual money for a victory pose in TF2, but then, TF2 was free and that was essentially a tip.  It's also one of the best games ever.  I did pay for DLC for Arkam Origins though, and I can't really  justify that as a smart purchase.

Still, as I have said, I think this is now my favourite game ever, so I'll buy it for sure. 

It worries me, because I imagine a world where each Smash Bros. Fighter and every furniture pack for Animal Crossing is sold individually.  I don't think it is likely (Nintendo don't seem to be able to release things they don't think are fun.  Heck, the system transfer for Wii to Wii U needed a Pikmin cutscene before they would do it), but who knows where the company ends up. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 27th, 2014, 10:59 am

@Atarifever I hope Nintendo keeps their values. Who knows how long Satoru Iwata will retain his position given the downturn in sales. Maybe Shigeru Miyamoto will be president next?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 27th, 2014, 11:40 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
16 more courses for $12? Plus 8 more carts? How can I resist? The best kart racer of all time, just got better. Nintendo did not release a half finished game, this is an expansion pack, similar in content to New Super Luigi Brothers, which is a fantastic Mario Platformer. No, Nintendo does it right. Nintendo quality and content is far and away greater than that of EA. [/QUOTE]

For once, I totally agree with Segatarious. The game was 100% complete so there were no hard feelings about the DLC. MK8 had more characters, the same number of courses, and pretty much everything better then previous installments. This is just extra gravy and 15 years down the line, if I lose my DLC I won't feel too bad because I know I still have 100% of the full game.

a1

Postby a1 » August 27th, 2014, 12:19 pm

I agree with sega too. This dlc is the among the best valued I've ever seen. I would pay twice what they're charging.

I am very excited about the possible f zero track and also excited for link. I'm hoping they'll do a Zelda level too.

I'm disappointed that they aren't taking this opportunity to add some real battle courses though. That's a pretty universal complaint.

Also, this is available for pre-order. Why the heck would I pre-order downloadable content? (yes I know preordering gives you new colors for yoshi and shy guy)

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 27th, 2014, 12:25 pm

[QUOTE=Rev]This is just extra gravy and 15 years down the line, if I lose my DLC I won't feel too bad because I know I still have 100% of the full game.[/QUOTE]

Not me.

Once this releases, what constitutes the full game completely changes as far as I'm concerned. I'll be missing a huge chunk of the game if/when that occurs for me. Enough where I wouldn't be surprised if I never fired it up Mario Kart 8 again afterwards in disgust. 

It's much too significant of an addition to not be missed someday if that happened, leaving this as a mixed blessing even though Nintendo is definitely handling it right. I'm thrilled and I'm definitely not going to be playing the waiting game hoping for a retail release someday that combines this with the stock game, but can't help but envision a day when it will be gone.

Hoping Nintendo resolves that down the road. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”