Madden 15 (PS4). They finally got it right!

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 1st, 2014, 6:53 pm

Now THIS is more like it! Games such as this one are just what I had in mind when I bought a PS4. I posted a screenshot awhile back, and Critic had an excellent point that that's not necessarily what the game is going to look like. Well, as it turns out, the game looks every bit as good as advertised. Gameplay is top-notch, and absolutely plays like a charm.

Then there's the presentation. I'm sure that if you all could guess, you'd be thinking that this is where Madden falls short (As is typically the case). Well, I'm here to tell you that they finally did it right this year. I like everything, from the half time show (Finally beats 2K5), to the intros, everything looks superb this year. 

On a sidenote, they even got the ADVERTISING right. That's right, the advertising actually ADDS to the experience. I remember in Madden 11, the Snickers and Papa John's ads were intrusive and annoying, but in 15, it's flawless, as it's done exactly like you'd see on CBS each Sunday. 

Speaking of CBS, the EA Sports presentation feels more like that channel than it does Fox, NBC, or ESPN. This is appropriate as it's Jim Nantz and Phil Simms providing improved commentary over their past two attempts at this game. Being a Bears fan, most of their games are on Fox, but who's complaining? I also like how you can toggle the camera angles between plays, so that if you're taking a knee or something, you can watch that in the broadcast angle. 

Overall, this is an absolutely brilliant game, and after years of mediocrity, Madden has finally hit its stride. Actually, it seems as if EA Sports have finally hit its stride, as the NHL Demo is fantastic, and I'm wildly impressed by the NBA Live screenshots. Here's a short video of the game: [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gzr6j80IZY[/video]

Edited: I accidentally put a video of Madden 25 before. MUCH different game!

vegas83

Postby vegas83 » September 1st, 2014, 9:19 pm

Looks pretty good, why is Devin Hester still on the Bears he is on Atlanta now, another EA oversight.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 1st, 2014, 9:28 pm

[QUOTE=vegas833]Looks pretty good, why is Devin Hester still on the Bears he is on Atlanta now, another EA oversight.[/QUOTE]

If he is, I didn't notice him. Not to mention the weekly roster updates that should fix the problem nicely. 

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 1st, 2014, 10:47 pm

My bad, that's Madden 25 that I posted! Da dur!

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 3rd, 2014, 4:06 pm

I get the sports fames free with EA access I have not touched the sports games at all.  Though battlefield 4 and peggle 2 are a good laugh.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 3rd, 2014, 6:32 pm

If this CNN story is any indication, Madden 15 promises to be the most hilarious football game yet!

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 3rd, 2014, 8:32 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]If this CNN story is any indication, Madden 15 promises to be the most hilarious football game yet![/QUOTE]

I know, I know. I saw that one, as well as the guy being thrown twenty feet in the air. But guess what? Those are two videos that I've seen of that. Two. And also, you have to remember that with the Xbox One, and Playstation 4, it's easier than it's ever been to post live gameplay videos. And so when there are these hilarious glitches on a franchise as popular as Madden they're going to be all over the news. Not only has nothing like this ever happened to me, but I can almost guarantee that this will be patched up shortly. 

Bottom line is that you guys have got to try this game. Defense has been improved, the gameplay is more fun than it has ever been, and with the improved graphics and presentation, I actually get the same feeling playing this game as I get when I'm hanging out with my buddies after a tough day at work watching Monday Night Football. 

Games have glitches. Just ask Link as he's going for a dip. Or is he flying?  [hqdefault] 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 10th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Haven't seen anything hilarious yet, but kind of disappointed with the new Madden.  

The play calling interface sucks.  I'm using to have a whole book to choose from.  Instead the game encourages you to choose "recommended" plays.  The complete playbooks is buried and hard to find. The whole interface is a nightmare.

The action on the field is very similar to last year.  MAYBE the tackle animations are a little better but it's not readily apparent.  I do like how the coaches are shown quite often - I like their reactions.

I can't figure out the new kicking meter.  This game could really use a real manual, but all you get is a few pieces of paper for crap they are trying to sell you. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 13th, 2014, 4:58 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Haven't seen anything hilarious yet, but kind of disappointed with the new Madden.  

The play calling interface sucks.  I'm using to have a whole book to choose from.  Instead the game encourages you to choose "recommended" plays.  The complete playbooks is buried and hard to find. The whole interface is a nightmare.

The action on the field is very similar to last year.  MAYBE the tackle animations are a little better but it's not readily apparent.  I do like how the coaches are shown quite often - I like their reactions.

I can't figure out the new kicking meter.  This game could really use a real manual, but all you get is a few pieces of paper for crap they are trying to sell you. [/QUOTE]
Thanks for that news.  With a byline like they have finally got madden right I was really interested.  I have Madden 25 with my EA subscription but have not played it.  So now since there is nothing to choose between them that will be one of the games I download at some point.  Madden 25 that is. 

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 14th, 2014, 3:21 am

My first impressions of this game were overwhelmingly positive. But then as I play more, I start to see some of the cracks in this game. I HATE how the AI defense grabs EVERY pass you throw. You could have a guy wide open, and one of their DBs covering someone else will come from out of nowhere to make the pick. But then their quarterback completes about 90% of his passes. This might be from playing on All-Madden, but still. This was not fixed from last year's version. Never thought I could find a more fair game online than I could against the computer. 

Graphics and presentation are still great. The lighting looks a little weird though. 

Return to “Now Playing”