The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 8th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Ok, so Ocarina of Time (OoT) is, in my opinion, THE Zelda that brings back all the memories for me (At least from what I can remember from being a 17 year old stoner at the time I played it). I'll never forget just wanting to explore every nook and cranny. And being absolutely bamboozled figuring out how to get out of the room where you find the Slingshot in. 

So when you think of a continuation of Ocarina of Time, you think Majora's Mask; same system, same engine, same items, same graphics. But I dunno, it feels vastly different. While it was a great game, it just didn't capture that nostalgic feeling that Ocarina of Time did. 

But Twilight Princess did. And it truly feels like a worthy continuation of Oot. I can remember getting this thing when the Wii first came out. My girlfriend (Who is now my wife) was trying to sleep while I was trying to figure out how to get out of that boring Ordon Village at 4 in the morning after the midnight Gamestop release. And then nearly jumping out of my skin when I heard Midna via the Wiimote speaker. 

Simply put, this game should have been named Eversomuchmoreso Ocarina of Time. The world is HUGE, and there is so much more interaction with Non-Player Characters (NPCs, but we all knew that, didn't we?). I like the expanded combat system on Epona too. But probably the best part are all the landmarks in the game that closely resemble their OoT counterparts. You can find them in the desert, and all over Hyrule.

In fact, I first noticed the similarity of the maps when I was playing OoT Master Quest on the 3DS, and was going up Death Mountain Trail. It felt so much like I was going up to Death mountain in Twlight Princess. Not only are the landmarks there, but they are also in the same locations on the map in OoT. 

The game is great, I love the mini-quests, and the dungeons are a joy to play. Overall, not quite as legendary of OoT, but definitely a worthy successor. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » September 8th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Great game, I love the soundtrack. Really enjoyed the pointed controls as well. Really, really well made dungeons, perhaps the best in the 3D series. Overall, my fave 3D Zelda game.

Herschie

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Postby Herschie » November 4th, 2017, 10:00 pm

I recently started playing this again on the Wii. Actually, this is the most charming version in my opinion. The Wii U HD remake did not capture that nostalgic feeling the way that the Wii version did. Maybe it's the graphics, I don't know, but if any of you would spend sleepless nights wondering which version of Twilight Princess Herschie found the most charming, well, you finally have your answer!

DrLitch

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Postby DrLitch » November 6th, 2017, 12:58 am

Twilight Princess is definitely a spiritual successor to Ocarina of Time. While Wind Waker was a decent game in its own right, it was not the sequel the fans wanted at the time. Time, however, has been kinder to Wind Waker than Twilight Princess. For my money, Twilight Princess had the best dungeons, but like most games in the series, it took a while to gain traction.

Return to “Now Playing”