What I really want to do...

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 9th, 2014, 12:37 am

Honestly, I love video games. When I really think about it, that's what I want to do. I don't want to be out at a bar. I don't want to be at work. I've even left a Cubs game to get home to play MLB: The Show. I care more about my Bears Madden franchise than I do the real team. I enjoy my games so much, and I can admit that that's what I want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I take care of what I need to do. I have a job. I enjoy spending time with my wife. I graduated college. I make time for family. But when I'm not spending time with my wife, the VGR (Video Game Room) is where I want to be. 

I used to be ashamed of it. I always felt like I ought to be doing something else. Heck, I remember once when I was single, I'd be out at the club with all these smoking hot girls all around. Guess what I was thinking about? That's right, getting home to play MLB 2K10. Invited to the park to play some football? I'm jumping out of the way of making a tackle because I don't want to hurt my hands so that I can play Zelda: Skyward Sword. 

Maybe I have an addiction, I dunno. I don't smoke weed anymore, I rarely ever drink. But when it comes down to it, I want to play video games, and that's that. Because, well, they're fun. And it's not like games will be worse five, ten years from now. 

Oh well, time for bed, I have to go to work tomorrow. But I'd rather be playing Mariokart. 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » September 9th, 2014, 7:01 am

If that's what you enjoy doing then hey that's cool. For me unless it detriments other parts of your life then any hobby that interests you and it is something that makes you feel good is always a good thing. It could be sports, cars, movies or video games everyone is different.
And if video games are your hobby and something you get excited about and look forward to it's nothing to feel bad about.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » September 9th, 2014, 11:16 am

[QUOTE=Herschie]Honestly, I love video games. When I really think about it, that's what I want to do. I don't want to be out at a bar. I don't want to be at work. I've even left a Cubs game to get home to play MLB: The Show. I care more about my Bears Madden franchise than I do the real team. I enjoy my games so much, and I can admit that that's what I want to do.

Don't get me wrong, I take care of what I need to do. I have a job. I enjoy spending time with my wife. I graduated college. I make time for family. But when I'm not spending time with my wife, the VGR (Video Game Room) is where I want to be. 

I used to be ashamed of it. I always felt like I ought to be doing something else. Heck, I remember once when I was single, I'd be out at the club with all these smoking hot girls all around. Guess what I was thinking about? That's right, getting home to play MLB 2K10. Invited to the park to play some football? I'm jumping out of the way of making a tackle because I don't want to hurt my hands so that I can play Zelda: Skyward Sword. 

Maybe I have an addiction, I dunno. I don't smoke weed anymore, I rarely ever drink. But when it comes down to it, I want to play video games, and that's that. Because, well, they're fun. And it's not like games will be worse five, ten years from now. 

Oh well, time for bed, I have to go to work tomorrow. But I'd rather be playing Mariokart. 

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. Videogames are truly amazing creations--they can challenge you, teach you, or simply make you happy. They're like a microcosm of life--only, their rules are easier to comprehend than those of the real world. 

I also choose videogames over being conventionally "social"--in the sense of attending church, going to a bar, etc--about 90% of the time. I do, however, hang out with other gaming friends on a regular basis, so I'd hardly characterize myself as antisocial. Gaming in itself can be a form of social activity--at least that's what I think.

Work is really important, though, and has to remain a top priority. If gaming is getting in the way of work, one should trim back the gaming before compromising one's livelihood.

I'd like to echo what Sut is saying and add that there's nothing more or less significant about a gaming obsession than an obsession with cars, fishing, amateur photography, or any other hobby. 

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » September 9th, 2014, 7:39 pm

I never felt ashamed of playing games, it's been one of my favorite past times since I was a kid, it's not my primary hobby as I spend equal amounts of time watching movies and TV shows as I do playing games, but it's still a significant enough part in my life that I can justify calling myself a "gamer".

My parents used to throw around the "addiction" thing when I was younger, but I knew it was crap as I was fully capable of stopping if I wanted or needed to, as much as I enjoy playing games, I never let them get in the way of my job or my night classes.

I've never drank or done drugs(not even cigarettes) a day in my life and never will as the thought of what could potentially happen if I do scares the crap out of me(that and my family does not have a good history with that sort thing).

Don't really have any gaming friends though, I prefer to play solo most of the time.

vegas83

Postby vegas83 » September 11th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Nice post Hershie, I am older as well and still love to play games as i did 30 years ago.
I don't think about them all the time but when working or working out I do like to think about get home and play some games.
I often buy games and don't even open them for weeks until i get around to them as I am still enjoying other games. I have so many games going on at once all the time I never get good at one game but just enjoy playing or at least trying every genre.
Does anyone else play like this?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » September 11th, 2014, 4:33 pm

[QUOTE=vegas833]Nice post Hershie, I am older as well and still love to play games as i did 30 years ago. I don't think about them all the time but when working or working out I do like to think about get home and play some games. I often buy games and don't even open them for weeks until i get around to them as I am still enjoying other games. I have so many games going on at once all the time I never get good at one game but just enjoy playing or at least trying every genre. Does anyone else play like this?[/QUOTE]

I like games that I can keep coming back to over the years. The games I really like are the ones I tend to try to get really good at. Some genres come naturally to me (racing), whereas some definitely don't and require more work on my part (FPSes, fast-paced action games).

Return to “Video Games General”