Most... Expensive...Game...Ever

General and high profile video game topics.
Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » August 18th, 2014, 7:21 am

Although I wouldn't completely rule out spending a significant amount on a cartridge, the existence of flash carts such make it less justifiable. I would like to own complete in box Japanese copies of Bare Knuckle 3 and Contra: The Hard Corps for instance, but I would rather play them on my Everdrive and use that money elsewhere. The only important thing is being able to play the games on the original hardware.

Saturn is probably the system that above all I am willing to spend money on, followed by TurboDuo and Mega CD. I mentioned elsewhere that I recently purchased Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is the most expensive game I have ever purchased by a huge margin, but I have also bought some of the rare Japanese imports (particularly shmups). I could download the ISOs and burn them to disc for TurboDuo and MegaCD but would rather not as I don't want to damage the lens. It is only on very rare occasions that I would be willing to pay up to or more than original RRP for retro games though.

I cannot really empathise with those who spend thousands on a single game, especially those that are only valuable because of a rare barcode, label etc. Then again, if money was absolutely no object then why not?

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » August 23rd, 2014, 1:02 am

I'm a cheapskate. $100 is the most I think I'd be willing to pay for one game, and that's stretching it. The only game I can think of I'd even consider paying that much for is Xenoblade Chronicles, but you can bet I wouldn't be happy about it.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 23rd, 2014, 11:36 am

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]I'm a cheapskate. $100 is the most I think I'd be willing to pay for one game, and that's stretching it. The only game I can think of I'd even consider paying that much for is Xenoblade Chronicles, but you can bet I wouldn't be happy about it.[/QUOTE]

Then you'll be happy to know you can find the game at Gamestop for about $45 or on eBay for $50-55, maybe even less if you go through auction.

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » August 23rd, 2014, 12:50 pm

[QUOTE=Rev][QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]I'm a cheapskate. $100 is the most I think I'd be willing to pay for one game, and that's stretching it. The only game I can think of I'd even consider paying that much for is Xenoblade Chronicles, but you can bet I wouldn't be happy about it.[/QUOTE]

Then you'll be happy to know you can find the game at Gamestop for about $45 or on eBay for $50-55, maybe even less if you go through auction.[/QUOTE]

Really? Wow. Now I just wish my parents would give me my Wii back [tongue]

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 23rd, 2014, 4:27 pm

Yeah, the price went down after more copies of Xenoblade Chronicles were produced. I don't know how long the price drop will last, hopefully it is permanent.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » September 4th, 2014, 6:21 am

Interesting topic. The one game that comes to mind that I recall, is Ultima: Escape from Mt. Drash. It was released in cassette form for the Commodore Vic-20 by Sierra On-Line. Only a few copies are known to exist today, and it fetches some HUGE $$$.

The most expensive game I have ever owned (bought for like 50 cents) was Chase The Chuckwagon for the Atari 2600. I ended up selling it for about $80 USD. I have a few other rare games I own, but hold on to them in case they become really REALLY valuable, and can fund my retirement (LOL).

mbd361

Postby mbd361 » September 4th, 2014, 7:54 pm

An Atari 2600 "Air Raid" with box still fetches a large sum. There is a great thread on Atari Age started by the guy who was first to find the box. Some people thought it was a hoax. He ended up getting over $30,000 for it on Ebay.

I don't have any real valuable games. But I have some that are going up in value that are in decent condition and that I actually have the boxes for, such as SNES "Zombies Ate My Neighbors", Genesis "Mega Turrican", Genesis "Sagaia" and Genesis "Contra Hard Corps". Sometime in the early 00's a local video store was getting rid of their SNES and Genesis carts for $5 each and I grabbed a bunch of them. They still have rental stickers but those can be removed.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » September 12th, 2014, 7:14 pm

The "holy grail" for game collectors has got to be the NES Nintendo World Championship cartridges.  One recently went for over $100,000 on ebay.  See my topic about it here, along with a link to the auction:

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/nes-nintendo-world-championship-gold-cart-over-100000-on-ebay-6746618

Now, why the hell would collectors want the stupid thing?  I don't know.  Not at that price, anyway.  To me, it's a pointless showpiece, but dollars talk, and as far as dollars go it has to be considered the holy grail of gaming.

For us mere mortals, there's quite a few games in the $200-$500 range.  The well known ones to collectors include games like Snatcher (Sega CD) and Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn), and there's lesser known games like Zelda's Adventure for CD-i.  Above that, there's some Neo Geo games that sell for over $500, easily; and I think DarXide (32X; Europe only) still goes very high too.  Personally, I don't think I'd ever spend that much on a game though, so I've never really kept up with which games go higher than that price point.

The most I've ever spent on a game wasn't even for a rare game-- it was $180 for Steel Battalion (Xbox) when it was still fairly new.  I was lucky to get a complete Snatcher for $125 a few years back, before the recent boom in price.  I got a complete Panzer Dragoon Saga on Craigslist about 8 years ago, together with tons of other rare Saturn games, all for $220 -- the value of the set at the time was probably at least $600, and it's got to be around $1500 now.  That guy was an idiot... 

Return to “Video Games General”