Intellivision Flashback coming 10/01/14

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » September 11th, 2014, 8:12 am

Found this interesting on the official Intellvision site:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/

"Intellivision® Productions, Inc. is proud to announce the upcoming release of Intellivision Flashback®, a self-contained video game console that plays 60 built-in classic Intellivision games such as Astrosmash®, B-17 Bomber and the popular sports titles. Intellivision Flashback is a product of AtGames Entertainment, makers of the popular Atari Flashback consoles.

Attendees of the Classic Gaming Expo in September, 2014, will be able to try out the Intellivision Flashback in the Intellivision Productions booth.

The official release of Intellivision Flashback will be October 1st, 2014, in stores throughout the United States. Distribution in other countries will follow. Suggested retail price will be $49.95."

Nice... may be something I ask for from my wife for Christmas!!!

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 11th, 2014, 9:07 am

Wow!! Loving that miniaturized design pattern, especially those controllers. Man the INTV is still one of the most unique consoles in history.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » September 11th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I think I'll pick this up. I have the original INTV with a bunch of games, but I don't have any old TV to play them on. It would be fun to have my two sons (13 and 6) see the games I used to play. And it seems like this console will have Shark! Shark! which is worth the price of admission.

Any idea which 60 games will be on the system?

And I wonder what they're going to do about overlays. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more complex games that need overlays will not be included.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 11th, 2014, 5:03 pm

Sorry if this is off-topic but we really need a Microvision flashback handheld, lol...

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » September 11th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Intellivision Flashback Game List

Space

Astrosmash

Space Armada

Space Battle

Space Cadet*

Space Hawk

Space Spartans (voice)

Star Strike

Sports

Auto Racing

World Championship Baseball

Two-player Baseball (aka Major League Baseball) will be available on the Dollar General version in addition to World Championship Baseball

Slam Dunk: Super Pro Basketball

Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling

Bowling

Boxing

Deep Pockets: Super Pro Pool & Billiards*

Football, Super Pro

Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf

Golf

Slap Shot: Super Pro Hockey

Motocross

Soccer

Spiker: Super Pro Volleyball

Stadium Mud Buggies

Super Pro Decathlon

Tennis

Gaming & Strategy

Backgammon

Bomb Squad (voice)

Checkers

Chess

Horse Racing

Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack

Las Vegas Roulette

Royal Dealer

Utopia

Battle & Sorcery

Armor Battle

B-17 Bomber (voice)

Crown of Kings (formerly Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)

Minotaur (formerly Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Treasure of Tarmin)

Sea Battle

Sub Hunt

Tower of Doom

Takeover

Arcade

Brickout*

Blowout*

Buzz Bombers

Frog Bog

Hard Hat*

Hover Force

Night Stalker

Pinball

Shark! Shark!

Sharp Shot

Snafu

Thin Ice

Thunder Castle

Triple Action

Vectron

Educational

Learning Fun

Learning Fun II

Math Fun

Word Fun

*titles developed in the 1980s but not released

Link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/intellivision/intellivision-flashback-game-list/10154809902580314

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 11th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Wow, now that is a diverse list! Heck even edutainment titles are included? Heh. [tongue]

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 11th, 2014, 9:29 pm

I've never had an interest in buying an Intellivision because of the crappy controller but I might pick this up. The design looks first class.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » September 13th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Txsizzler, thanks for the list of games. Yeah, no doubt I'll be getting this. And an eclectic group of games, some I've never played before, such as: Spiker: Super Pro Volleyball, Stadium Mud Buggies, Super Pro Decathlon, Tower of Doom, Thunder Castle, Thin Ice, and Frog Bog.

Total bummer that Burgertime and Diner are not in the collection, but still should be a lot of fun.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » September 14th, 2014, 4:14 pm

I just got mine at the Classic Gaming Expo in Las Vegas. Had it autographed by 11 of the 12 developers that were there. Never had an Intellivision before so this will be great for me.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » October 1st, 2014, 7:26 pm

My Intellivision and Colecovision flashbacks arrived in the mail today from Toys R Us preorder.   Saving one for the holidays, but getting long weekend 'guests' next week, so this will be my 8 bit therapy.  Not sure which one I will enjoy in October as I'm excited to hook them up and start retro gaming. These Flashbacks have such a great vibe, and I'm glad I ordered a set.   

Things I noted already (have not plugged it in yet):

1) There are only a handful of overlays.  There may be 60 games, but the Intellivision Flashback has about a dozen overlays.  The Colecovision even fewer.  I was hoping for many many more than that.

2) The Intellivision controller does *not* work on an vintage Intellivision.   I have a Sears Super Video Arcade version on the Intellivision with plug in controllers, but even though the Flashback controllers are 9 pin, they are not wired the same.    There is a guy on Atari Age selling adapters at $12 bucks a pop to do that.

3) The Colecovision controllers do *not* work on a vintage Colecovision.   That guy on Atari Age will probably make some adapters for these too.

So, if part of your rationale for this is for overlays or backup controllers, nope.  Still, games you play here are less wear and tear on the original, so they may help in that secondary manner.

4) The Intellivision Flashback controller seems the right size and same type of keypad.   The Colecovision controller is smaller, and oddly, the controller knob on the top is set closer to the handset.   My vintage Intellivision and Colecovision have sticklers on them, and I may order some for these too.

5) At Games have *minimal decoration* when it came to aesthetics and extras.  There is an instruction book which has tiny font and run off a b&w printer.  We've seen that before with the Atari flashbacks, which is disappointing, but most of the units look pretty cool.  They have also cut back on any decorations to their units.  The Inty Flashback has golden stickers and woodgrain stickers, but the Colecovision unit struck me immediately that it has a cheap sticker on the top. No attempt at anything shiny, faux woodgrain, just utilitarian cheap black plastic on the Colecovision Flashback.  Reminds me of the Genesis unit I bought last year in that regard.  Something that goes back in the box right away after playing with it.     

I'm interested to see what Leo and others think.   Edit: Clarify its the Colecovision model that has a cheap sticker. The Intellivision Flashback looks much better.

-Scotty

Return to “Classic Gaming”