Destiny the video game event of a generation.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » September 14th, 2014, 10:58 am

Perhaps the mainstream media do have balls afterall.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » September 14th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Well MMOs do take longer to review then other genres, but it is quite surprising to see Gamespot give it a not-so-positive review.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » September 15th, 2014, 6:49 am

[QUOTE=Sut]Perhaps the mainstream media do have balls afterall.[/QUOTE]

That's what surprised me. After all the expectations, I would have thought they would autimatically give the game at least an 8. But then again, that's why I like Gamespot more then IGN. They are mainstream but tend to be a bit more critical.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 15th, 2014, 9:22 am

It is a 7 or 8 out of ten.  No way is it a 6.    After playing the single player I have no idea why they made it online only.  There is not a need for the multiplayer in the single player.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 15th, 2014, 1:21 pm

I ended up having Friday night free, so, I bought Destiny.  I figured what the heck, even if the campaign is bad there's no way Bungie would have screwed up the multiplayer.

For the record, the campaign/single player blows until you get to Venus.  Once you get to Venus though, now, we're talking.  You've got different sets of enemies fighting each other and then you come into the mix.  It's fun.  Plain and simple.  Until then though, it's a bit boring and sluggish.

It's weird but if you've played Firefight or Horde mode with friends and do the same with Destiny, you'll have an awesome time.   They've taken Firefight and some how figured out how to turn them into levels in a campaign.  If, however, this isn't your cup of tea and would prefer a tighter story then you may want to look elsewhere.

However, if you only want to shoot stuff and have 20 minutes to do it then this game is for you.  But, keep in mind, you'll have to slug through some boring stuff until you get the great stuff.  Earth, Moon, Venus...and I don't know what's after that.  But, regardless, it's fun.  The multiplayer is fast paced and fun as well with its own set of nuances.  

Is it as good as Halo?  No, of course, not.  It doesn't have a tight, compelling story that keeps driving you forward.  What it does have is Bungie's moniker of 30 seconds of fun between a breather for the next encounter.  

I'd have ranked it a 6 before getting to Venus.  After Venus, it's an 8.  So, maybe, avg a 7.

TimPossible1

Postby TimPossible1 » September 15th, 2014, 9:19 pm

This game is averaging about a 76 on Metacritic and about the same on gamerankings.com. To me this game is a flop compared to the hype surrounding it as I was anticipating GTA/Halo type scores

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » September 16th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Yeah, the reviews this game is getting is disappointing. I was planning on picking this up, but I think I'll steer clear.

A friend of mine did say that the main developer of Destiny stated that the initial reviews for the game would not be great because it would take a month to truly appreciate it, but if it takes that long, is it really worth it?

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » September 16th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Agreed, a truly good game should be enjoyable from the get go, you shouldn't have to wait a month for it to not suck.

I think it's a decent game so far, but far from an amazing one, it has most definitely not lived up to the massive hype.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 19th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Okay, because of the mass of coverage for it showing up in my youtube feed, I started to look into this.  I watched some playthroughs of the "new content" for it, and some stuff about the event release schedule.  Then I read the IGN review of it (7.something).  Anyway, oddly, this game that should not appeal to me at all is really making me wish I still had a 360.  I don't know.  It kind of looks like co-op Halo, with some loot drops.  I can't say that sounds like a bad thing to me. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » October 16th, 2014, 11:21 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Okay, because of the mass of coverage for it showing up in my youtube feed, I started to look into this.  I watched some playthroughs of the "new content" for it, and some stuff about the event release schedule.  Then I read the IGN review of it (7.something).  Anyway, oddly, this game that should not appeal to me at all is really making me wish I still had a 360.  I don't know.  It kind of looks like co-op Halo, with some loot drops.  I can't say that sounds like a bad thing to me. [/QUOTE]
That is about right but at the end of the day it is nowhere near as good as Halo. I got to level 20 and just found out that the only way I could go higher was to get light armour.  Which meant I had to grind through mission over and over again.  The first couple of times are okay but it quickly becomes tedious.  Then there are the raids where you fight the boss monsters over and over again.  That also could be good but there were only 3 boss monsters in the game meaning there are 3 or 4 which you do over and over again.
I have given up on it.  At the start it is a good game but by the end of the first couple of weeks I really wish I had not bothered. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”