Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)

The readers post their own reviews.
a1

Postby a1 » September 17th, 2006, 11:24 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

They are nothing more than a poor man's Power Stone.

[/QUOTE]

I take back my response. Given the fact that I only really played Power Stone 2 I shouldn't judge that game.

voor

Postby voor » September 18th, 2006, 8:13 am

it's what you make it.  You could turn it, SF2, or any fighter into a button mashing affair, but you would be losing out on any challenge.  You can turn Goldeneye into a quick draw standoff, but with no fun.

Have 2 people who know what they're doing, and it IS a good fighter.  But, like every other fighter, you gotta put some time into to know the timing, moves, and weaknesses; and a lot of people judge it before they get that far. 

That said, Link was always my favorite character.  Bomb, boomerang, bow and arrow, sword tornado...Nintendo did well.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 18th, 2006, 5:40 pm

[QUOTE=Johnson73]Watch some really good Smash Brothers players go at it, and then say that there isn't any skill involved.  If you want to play against anyone who is actually good at the game, you have to know your character's moves and the course you're playing on very well.  I've put many hours into traditional fighting games like Street Fighter 2 and Soul Calibur, and I believe Smash Brothers requires just as much, if not more, skill than those games.  I can't honestly believe that anyone who calls it a simple button masher has played the game for more than a few minutes.
[/QUOTE]

I have watched tournement macthes and I stand by what I said, it doesn't even compare.  The game isn't deep or technical, like power stone it is a total button masher.  I think it speaks volumes about the game that you can twirl the C stick and win.  Not always but often enough.  It doesn't really help that there is no real move set, this is clearly meant for people who suck at real fighting games and it shows.

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » September 18th, 2006, 6:31 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

I have watched tournement macthes and I stand by what I said, it doesn't even compare.  The game isn't deep or technical, like power stone it is a total button masher.  I think it speaks volumes about the game that you can twirl the C stick and win.  Not always but often enough.  It doesn't really help that there is no real move set, this is clearly meant for people who suck at real fighting games and it shows.

[/QUOTE]

Like voor said, fighting games are what you make them.  When my friends and I play each other in any fighting game, including Smash Bros., if you button mash, you lose.  Just because the characters don't complicated move sets doesn't mean that the game doesn't require skill- you also have to learn how take advantage of the level you are playing on and the items you receive, unlike certain "deep" fighters.

a1

Postby a1 » September 19th, 2006, 1:07 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

I think it speaks volumes about the game that you can twirl the C stick and win.  Not always but often enough.  It doesn't really help that there is no real move set, this is clearly meant for people who suck at real fighting games and it shows.

[/QUOTE]

I can beat any inexperienced player you throw at me. No one could ever just twirl the c-stick and beat a legitimate player. There is a move set SSX, just no up down left right special moves. There are attacks on A. If you hit the joystick right you can do a smash attack. Then there are 4 special attacks assigned to B. Where the game really gets technical is with dodging and grabbing. R can block, but while holding it players can grab you. In order to avoid that you can roll, but during the roll you can be hurt. Then there are air dodges which can help to dodge attacks momentarily but then you are left hanging out to dry. It add a lot of strategy. Maybe SSB isn't as technical as the fighting games you play SSX but it isn't "meant for people who suck at real fighting game". I don't care if you don't like the game SSX, but stop trying to say it is a button masher. Gimme a frickin' break.

voor

Postby voor » September 19th, 2006, 8:25 am

When Brawl comes out, we'll meet online to settle this...

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 19th, 2006, 10:08 am

[QUOTE=voor]

When Brawl comes out, we'll meet online to settle this...

[/QUOTE]

You actually think I'm dumb enough to buy this crap THREE times, lol.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » September 19th, 2006, 11:33 am

a that description just goes to confirm the point that it doesn't have deep strategy.  My point earlier was that power stone lacked the technical depth but offered some strategy to play, whereas SSB doesn't even have that.

Quill

Postby Quill » September 19th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Wow... I'd like to say something that would change people's minds about this game but I"m sure I won't.

Anyways... I think its fine that some of you don't like this game. It just ain't your cup of tea... that's fine. The game does have a lot of different ways to play and I could see how people would think that it doesn't require any skill... especially in a 4 man free for all.

However to say the game requires no technical skill is pretty absurd. It has one of the largest and longest running offline tournament communities in the country. I believe it is second only to Halo in pure numbers. MLG runs tournaments for it throughout the country on a regular basis with a large turnout. If you want more information you can visit www.mlgpro.com

Also note that the winners of said tournaments are rather consistent only about a handful of people regularly place in the top 5. If your arguement is that it takes no skill and anyone can win by simply pressing buttons quickly on the controller then anyone should be able to take 1st place and not only that given the number of different players that attend and the number of tournaments held it, someone different should have won at every tournament.

Not to mention there are a number of advanced techniques that no one on this board has probably even heard of, wave dashing, dash dancing, l canceling, chain grabbing, pivoting... etc. Though I realize those terms probably don't mean jack to people that don't know about them or how to do them. Just so you know though there are combos in this game just like Street Fighter... well maybe not just like street fighter but you can string together moves if you know how to do them.

Also I am refferring only to 1v1 battles not free for alls. Yes in Free for alls anyone can win. But hey if you could play 4 player free for alls in street fighter the same would probably hold true.

So dislike the game if you want... hate it if you want but don't make silly statements about how this game doesn't require any skill. If anyone cares to debate this go ahead but don't just post the same thing as before. Please come up with something a tad more convincing then Street Fighter is better.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » September 19th, 2006, 8:25 pm

The fact you have to dig that deep to find ANY sort of combo shows how little depth the fighting has.  Also while your anicdote was interesting it doesn't really change the fact it lacks balance or any sort of technical nature in the fights. 

Return to “Reader Reviews”