Are you surprised that Nintendo is improving the 3D effect on the 'new' 3DS?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » September 19th, 2014, 8:02 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-19-hands-on-with-nintendos-vastly-improved-new-3ds-xl?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

The next thing you'll notice is the top screen's 3D effect, which pops into view much more easily when viewed at an angle. This is a benefit of the device's new eye-tracking capability that tailors the 3DS' parallax technology specifically to where you're looking from, enabling the effect to work from a far wider range of vision.

The result works a treat, and allowed me to lean over and watch my Monster Hunter partners on their own screens from over their shoulder in 3D. Even attempting to trick my 3DS by turning it rapidly didn't seem to wreck the effect. And I tested it while wearing glasses. It is genuinely impressive stuff.

I am somewhat surprised, I figured they would faze it out but it makes me wonder if the next Nintendo handheld will also have 3D?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 19th, 2014, 8:15 am

Interesting topic. 

I'm double surprised. 

First, I am surprised they're doing something new with 3D, as I thought they were done with it.  This looks more like doubling down.  They seem to be saying "hey you turn it off because it's not comfortable.  Okay, here, will you use it now that we made it more comfortable?"  For kids under 7, who aren't supposed to use it, there's the 2DS.  That's a very Nintendo way to approach a problem.

The eye-tracking thing surprises me, because that's some pretty interesting, Smartphone type of technology to add to the system mid-stream.  This is looking to be more than the 3DSi afterall. 

I made the mistake of reading Brian Altano's preview of it on IGN, and now I really want one.  (Bonus, I said "doubling down" before reading this.  I could be a game journalist!).

[QUOTE=IGN]The 3D effect is better. Way better. That blinding, jittery flicker that current 3DS users are used to seeing every time they move the handheld with the 3D slider up is mostly gone. I guesstimated around a 45 degree tilt in any direction before the 3D effect “broke” for me. That made me want to play with the 3D slider up the entire time, which is a good thing to want, considering Nintendo is doubling down on people wanting to play games in 3D while companies like Sony are abandoning them.[/QUOTE]

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » September 19th, 2014, 9:05 am

I think they should have made it the 3DS 2 or whatever, instead of making a brand new version of the same console and games that only work on it. For what it is, though, I'm excited. If they can really fit Xenoblade Chronicles onto it, I'll most likely end up buying one at some point.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » September 20th, 2014, 12:13 am

You know what this reminds me of? When Nintendo released the Wii Motion Plus for the Nintendo Wii.

In both cases, it was Nintendo trying to make the system as good as it originally shoud have been at launch, had they actually spent more time working on the core design of it, to essentially get it right the first time.

With the Wii, it was the accuracy of the motion controls. Now with the 3DS, it's the ability to consistently view the 3D content as well as it was originally intended. Plus, they added the second control stick/nub.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 20th, 2014, 11:29 am

Actually I'm pretty happy about this.  I always thought the original 3DS was a good idea but the execution was lacking.  Unless I keep the system perfectly still, I start to lose the 3D effect.  For frantic games (like shooters) this is a serious problem.

A new system however that makes the 3D more robust would improve the experience I have with ALL my 3DS games, and I've built up a nice library.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 20th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Parts of me are happy about this but comparing this to a controller upgrade is a bit off. I can't help but feel making exclusive games for this type of the 3DS could do more harm than good if a majority of the games that start being released are only New 3DS compatible. Honestly, it is way too early to tell but if a majority of the games only work with this New 3DS and not with the original hardware than Nintendo is basically forcing all 3DS owners to upgrade (which I will anyway, but not everyone will) if they want to continue playing the new games on the hardware. Compare this to the Wii Motion Plus which was a $40 upgrade for 1 controller, that still worked on the existing hardware. The WMP didn't force you to buy a new Wii, but this New 3DS could force many consumers to buy a new 3DS if a majority of the new games only support the newer hardware. Once again, it is too early to tell and how successful this is will really depend on how quickly/how many games only use the new hardware Obviously, any person who is buying the handheld for the first time will just get the newer version, but I'm curious about the millions of people who already own the original 3DS/3DS XL/2DS and if they'll choose to upgrade.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 20th, 2014, 3:00 pm

If you compare it to the DSi, there were only a handful of games that "required" the DSi.  From my research it looks like what happened was that games were offered for the DS with special features available only on the DSi.

That's probably not an apples to apples comparison of what will happen with the New 3DS as it's faster/has more ram, etc.  But that is one possibility.

It probably gives folks who don't own a 3DS today an incentive to pick one up (like me).  

I'll probably pick one up.  I tend to wait for the second version of Nintendo's handhelds as they usually perfect them the second time around.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » September 21st, 2014, 8:04 pm

I really like this.  I didn't really want to do a games transfer again, given that this is limited to five transfers, but I'd do it again with improved 3D.

Return to “Modern Gaming”