Nausea icon?

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Nausea icon?

Postby ZetaX1 » September 19th, 2014, 9:25 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Could we get a bright version of the X-eyes?  I think I like that better.  It looks funny.[/QUOTE]

Here you go.

sick1.jpg 

Orion1

Nausea icon?

Postby Orion1 » September 19th, 2014, 11:14 pm

How about a bottle of Pepto?

nesfan1

Nausea icon?

Postby nesfan1 » September 19th, 2014, 11:53 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy][QUOTE=nesfan]Why does the icon have to benefit anyone in the first place? There's a "may contain cheese" icon, for Pete's sake. Who does that benefit?[/QUOTE] Cheese enthusiasts.[/QUOTE]Well, then. I guess I'll try to be more considerate towards the Urkels of the world.

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]People who are lactose intolerant, you insensitive clod![/QUOTE]And my sincerest apologies to - uh... this guy, I guess:

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Lactose_intolerant_boy

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Nausea icon?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 22nd, 2014, 6:27 pm

I went ahead and added the new nausea icon to a few dozen reviews.  It wasn't hard when I filtered my reviews by works like "nausea", "sick", and "vomit".  Love the icon design.

It's all in good fun, and you'll notice even a few highly-rated games got this.

As usual I am open to suggestions.

LuckyMan1

Nausea icon?

Postby LuckyMan1 » September 22nd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Hey Dave, I didn't look at all of the games, but I did notice that you added it to Inty - Carnival. You use the word "nauseating" in the review, but it's because of the music, not for motion sickness. Is that what you intended this icon for?

goldenband1

Nausea icon?

Postby goldenband1 » September 22nd, 2014, 8:23 pm

I think it diminishes the value of the category by including games with "ugly graphics or poor gameplay" that didn't literally give you motion sickness or make you feel ill. As someone who never gets motion sickness in real life, but gets it sometimes from games in 3D space, the icon actually has real utility for me -- but including games with bouncy music (e.g. The Apprentice) risks making it yet another jokey euphemism for "bad".

BTW culprits for me have mostly been N64 games. Monster Truck Madness 64 and GoldenEye have done it, and oddly enough Pilotwings 64 didn't. But the worst I've ever seen was Forsaken 64 -- I couldn't play that for more than a few minutes without feeling ill. I don't really feel nauseated, so much as I feel feverish, headachy, and vaguely unwell (but not pukey) in the stomach...it's almost like a toxic feeling.

I suppose if a game makes you feel unwell but didn't give you motion sickness per se, that works too. One of the stages in Wings of Wor for Genesis has a swirling background that's so harsh on the eyes I can barely see what's going on. Looking at it is quite unpleasant, and not just for aesthetic reasons.

LuckyMan1

Nausea icon?

Postby LuckyMan1 » September 22nd, 2014, 8:52 pm

Here are a bunch of others that were included, but not for motion sickness:

Apprentice
Club Drive
Deadliest Catch
Ghostbusters
Hey You, Pikachu!
James Bond 007
Mega Man Powered Up
Rage
Road Trip
Roadsters
Sonic Unleashed
South Park Rally
Star Fox Adventures
Survival Island
SwordQuest FireWorld
Way of the Warrior

LuckyMan1

Nausea icon?

Postby LuckyMan1 » September 23rd, 2014, 12:23 pm

Okay, I guess I should have read the first post of this thread. I see that you did want to include games that you just really didn't like. But isn't that what the grade is for?

Anyway, sorry about the list of non-nausea inducing games. I thought it might be helpful in case you just used keywords to search for the included games, but it looks like you more thought into it than that.

goldenband1

Nausea icon?

Postby goldenband1 » September 23rd, 2014, 6:50 pm

LuckyMan, I'd rather see the VGC subtract those games from the nausea icon too -- it's much less useful if it becomes a catch-all for games he doesn't like.

Maybe the answer is adding an icon for games that are particularly grating (hard to look at or listen to), dated, or in poor taste. How about a mullet playing sax?

snakeboy1

Nausea icon?

Postby snakeboy1 » September 23rd, 2014, 10:31 pm

Just stumbled upon the review for Terminator 3 (PS2), and it sounds like this game needs the icon ("I enjoyed the Terminator 3 film, but this game made me nauseous.").

Return to “Video Games General”