Will a big company ever produce a retro system?

General and high profile video game topics.
Ken1

Postby Ken1 » September 28th, 2014, 9:36 am

I recently finally got a Retron 5 and while I like the system a thought has crossed my mind. Will a big company like Sony or Microsoft ever produce a retro system? The Retron 5 was difficult to acquire so there is a market for this type of system. It seems Hyperkin had trouble keeping up with the demands for the system. I don't really see that being a problem for Sony or Microsoft since such a system while in demand is more a niche thing that would not require the same kind of production as a Playstation or Xbox. Not to take a shot at Hyerkin but I think that Sony or Microsoft would have the means to create a system of better quality. What do you guys think? Could or would something like this ever happen?  

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » September 28th, 2014, 11:59 am

I'm not sure it would benefit the brand of Playstation or Xbox for Sony or Microsoft to release a console that plays their competitor's games. If you mean a retro Playstation or Xbox, there really wouldn't be a market for them considering that those consoles (ps1, ps2, Xbox) are all readily available, sometimes brand-new.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » September 28th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Personally, I'd love to see Sega stop bleeding the Genesis well dry and find a way to make a cheap reproduction of the Saturn, Sega CD, etc. They have such a vast history that they tend to ignore, and it's sad.

I don't know if the big three would consider releasing retro consoles, especially since they have their own respective marketplaces on their current consoles.

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » September 28th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Actually when I say retro I mean old stuff like Super Nintendo and older.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 28th, 2014, 1:03 pm

It's an interesting idea.  Think about if Nintendo released a HD-friendly console that played NES/SNES/N64 carts - without emulation.

Sega could do something too.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » September 28th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I think Sega should release the Neptune since they already have a prototype for it.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 28th, 2014, 1:27 pm

This would be great. I like to have my systems ready to play at all times, and it can be a royal pain with all the wires. Not to mention that this could include an upconverter, since any older TV is going to be a hunk of junk that barely works.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » September 28th, 2014, 9:22 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]It's an interesting idea.  Think about if Nintendo released a HD-friendly console that played NES/SNES/N64 carts - without emulation.

Sega could do something too.[/QUOTE]

Awesome idea, but very unlikely. It would undermine their Virtual Console sales (such as they are).

Return to “Video Games General”