Most imprressive thing on the NES?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » September 15th, 2014, 10:50 pm

Can be anything, anything that impressed you when you first saw it on the NES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwYIOoBSq4

I choose that guy, my fave enemy on the entire NES.

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » September 16th, 2014, 5:04 am

Not seen, but heard; the voices in Bases Loaded. I guess that talking baseball was all the rage back in the late '80s. 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » September 16th, 2014, 6:00 am

Strangely the thing that most impressed me with the NES when I first saw it was balanced gameplay and the fact you could complete games. The UK was far more interested in home computers at the time and despite the ST and Amiga being far more powerful than Nintendo's system the way NES games had gradual difficulty curves and the fact you always felt able (with enough practice) to complete a game was breath of fresh air.
Most home computer games were balls hard with most crackers, especially on the ST & Amiga adding training modes to games so gamers could see the endings.
So yes that console style balance and gameplay design is what impressed me most about the NES.

Noah981

Postby Noah981 » September 17th, 2014, 8:57 pm

The Robotic Operating Buddy, R.O.B.! Don't hate, R.O.B. Is awesome.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 17th, 2014, 9:18 pm

The sheer amount of hardware variants, including neutered ripoffs of the basic hardware. The NES, much like the Atari 2600, is almost its own niche in hardware collectors chases.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » September 17th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Parallax scrolling in Battletoads (both vertical and horizontal), plus the speed of the third level on the bikes.  IMO, the most technically impressive game on the NES.

George351

Postby George351 » September 21st, 2014, 12:08 am

It was always the music that impressed me with the nes. Growing up, I started with a 2600, and so did all my friends.  Never knew anyone with an Intellivision, ColecoVision, or 5200, or anyone who had a computer for gaming back then.  I did know one kid with a Vectrex.  So, it was quite a leap when we were trading in 2600's for NES's, and while the graphics were markedly better, the music impressed me the most because on the 2600 it just was never there except in a rare few games.  I remember playing SMB the first time and was awestruck that music played the whole time, and not just one song, but it changed throughout the levels!  It was like the music was such an important part of the experience, but never knew we were missing it before.  Like, when playing 2600, sure I would wish the graphics were better such as if Pac-Man were more round, or if that blob of pixels actually looked like what the game manual said it was supposed to be.  But, I don't ever recall thinking "This game would be so much better if it had music playing the whole time".  However, once I started playing games with soundtracks, the older games seemed somewhat "empty".

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » October 4th, 2014, 2:02 am

My first encounter with the nes. You know, I can't tell you where I was when I first played the snes, ps1-3; Sega genesis, dreamcast, Saturn, gameboy, or anything else. I can, however, remember the magic of wrapping my hands around the first absolutely comfortable controller of my life....and not knowing what to do with it! It was at a kiosk at Sears, and I was six years old. I knew all about Atari, but nothing could have prepared me for my first encounter with a goomba! The thing killed me countless times until I figured out that the A button made Mario jump! I'm not supposed to run into it, but.....OVER it! Just like Pitfa----wait, what?! I can squash them?! Oh my GOD, that was so much fun! Once I reached my first koopa troopa, I did the same thing....but why is there a shell? Holy crap, I can KICK the shell?? Those two moments alone are forever ingrained!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » October 4th, 2014, 6:03 am

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles] but nothing could have prepared me for my first encounter with a goomba! The thing killed me countless times until I figured out that the A button made Mario jump! I'm not supposed to run into it, but.....OVER it! Just like Pitfa----wait, what?! I can squash them?! Oh my GOD, that was so much fun! Once I reached my first koopa troopa, I did the same thing....but why is there a shell? Holy crap, I can KICK the shell?? Those two moments alone are forever ingrained![/QUOTE]

Fantastic deconstruction of those first encounters that really shows the design genius of Nintendo.  The guy who writes these is a consultant to big videogame companies, so he isn't just overthinking this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2wGpEZVgE&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5CH8BA8XcqReieXLFf4afI0

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » October 4th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Technically the most impressive thing about the NES was the sound chip. It could crank out some amazing music. Think of all the wonderful melodies we grew up listening to gaming on the NES. 

My cousins had the NES a year before my family did. I remember being so green and sick with envy the first time I saw SMB playing. We had a 2600, Intellivision and Adam Colecovision computer. They were all baby toys compared to what I saw on the NES.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”