How often do you play retro games?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 21st, 2014, 11:44 am

It seems like most discussion on this site has veered towards more modern games...which is fine and makes for lively debates.

I'm curious how many of the active members are still people that play the old stuff.  How often do you play?  Is there one old system you always keep hooked up?  Do you just play on emulators?

Do you keep a special room set up with CRT TVs and whatnot?  

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 21st, 2014, 1:42 pm

I do have a special Trinitron medical RGB monitor set up for retro games, but I rarely get an opportunity to use it these days because I spend most of my time at my girlfriend's place, and I doubt she would take well to the idea of me setting up an ugly, 100-lb monstrosity over there just for the purpose of gaming.

Unfortunately, most of my gaming choices lately have been governed by convenience. I recently picked up a Playstation TV, whose small size allows me to conveniently access a large library of games I already own on PSN while over at my girlfriend's place. I can swap cards back and forth between it and my Vita to take said games on the go. It's really nice.

In terms of retro games, I've been playing a lot of PS1 and some SNES classics (through PSN and Virtual Console). I also play retro Final Fantasy games on iOS. As much as I do prefer the experience of original hardware, I wouldn't get as much of an opportunity to game if contemporary technology didn't allow me to play emulations or remakes.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 21st, 2014, 2:20 pm

That's an interesting thought....being able to play lots of retro stuff through modern devices is certainly a boon (especially to gamers constantly on the go).  I'm on my iPad quite a bit and I'm tempted to get some of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games.

How many people use something like a FC Twin, Retron 3 or Retron 5 to play older stuff?  The Retron 5 seems ideal since it's got a HDMI connection, but it seems to be getting mixed reviews.  I think I'll certainly get a Retron 3 at some point just for the convenience of it.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » October 21st, 2014, 3:39 pm

I go back and forth between my Wii U and 3DS (my only current gen consoles) and retro games.  Just really depends on my mood.

I do play my retro consoles hooked up to my 42 LED through a Framemeister.  Will never go back to CRT again. 

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » October 21st, 2014, 3:57 pm

I have been playing only NES games in October to celebrate its birthday leading up to Pat the NES Punk's 24 hour NES Marathon for charity on November 8.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 21st, 2014, 4:35 pm

My current and last gen machines are hooked up in the living room, I've got a retro room set up in my loft which has all the Sega consoles plus my Atari ST and ZX Spectrum all hooked up ready to go. I probably only get 2-3 hours per week in the gameloft though, depending on what the wife, kids and work are doing.
My current retro playlist is Golden Axe (ST), Virtua Fighter (32x) and Gryzor on the Speccy.

To be honest I much prefer playing 16-bit and 32-bit games over the newer stuff but I do like modern stuff as well.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » October 21st, 2014, 6:30 pm

I ONLY play retro game systems (Genesis is the "newest" system I own).  Have the Intellivision hooked up now for the upcoming winter months and am seriously loving Super Chef Burgertime.  What an amazing and perfect update of the classic BT.  I also got an ECS recently and have been playing Super NFL Football, World Series Baseball and Mind Strike.  I am also awaiting the Lost Caves of Kroz homebrew coming out this fall.  New & awesome games like Kroz, Super Chef BT and DK II Arcade keep the Intellivision fantastic to play - even after 35 years of being in existence!

I have it hooked up to a 27" Sony Trintitron and have five CRT's in reverse (put away in the attic & basement.)  Those TV's do take up some room no doubt but am happy to have spares.

Long live 1980's gaming!  And keep the great homebrews coming!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 21st, 2014, 7:31 pm

About once every few weeks or so I'll go to Vizzed to play some older games, but I mostly find myself playing modern games as there's stilla large backlog of 360 and PC titles I haven't even touched yet.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 21st, 2014, 7:42 pm

Other then the new Smash and the occasional Wii U session about 95% of my gaming is retro. I really enjoy stuff from the NES-SNES era but I also play my PS1 and N64 quite a bit. It really just depends on my mood.

Return to “Video Games General”