Minecraft?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Minecraft?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 28th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I've been hearing a lot about this game for years but never played it.  Should I review it?  I noticed it's pretty cheap on the Xbox 360.  Is it more of an on-line thing, or can I review it off-line?  Do you think I would enjoy it?  Please advise.

ActRaiser1

Minecraft?

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 28th, 2014, 6:46 pm

IMHO I don't think you'll get as much enjoyment out of it as others.  It's an electronic form of Legos.

Based on your preference of fast-paced arcade games or games with a driving pace that keeps you focused, I don't think this game would be your cup of tea.  But if it's cheap, you could always try it and if you hate it, you didn't lose all that much.

My two cents,
Bud

Vexer1

Minecraft?

Postby Vexer1 » October 28th, 2014, 6:47 pm

I would avoid it if I was you, it doesn't look very exciting and I can't see you liking it much.

ptdebate1

Minecraft?

Postby ptdebate1 » October 28th, 2014, 7:08 pm

The online portion of Minecraft is far from the main focus. It's a sandbox survival/crafting game, so there are no overarching objectives other than the ones you create yourself. It's a great game to play when you want to relax from the pressure of more challenging experiences. I say review it!

Gilly1

Minecraft?

Postby Gilly1 » October 28th, 2014, 10:16 pm

I'm not even sure if Minecraft is a game.

Segatarious1

Minecraft?

Postby Segatarious1 » October 29th, 2014, 6:25 am

Obviously you should review it. Why anyone thinks that you will like it, or will not like it, is irrelevant.

Atarifever1

Minecraft?

Postby Atarifever1 » October 29th, 2014, 11:38 am

You should review it.  Since you don't like open/creation/timesink games like Animal Crossing, I can't see you liking this.  It would be an interesting review though.  Keep in mind though, like Animal Crossing, The Sims, or Harvest Moon, what you bring into the game really decides what you get out of it.  If you don't want to use your imagination to make something you find interesting, you probably won't find anything in there interesting. 

velcrozombie1

Minecraft?

Postby velcrozombie1 » October 29th, 2014, 7:28 pm

Honestly, it seems too culturally important for you not to review it. It's probably had more impact than any other game since...Call of Duty 4, maybe? Angry Birds? Even if you hate it, it deserves to be on this site.

nesfan1

Minecraft?

Postby nesfan1 » October 29th, 2014, 9:49 pm

I played Minecraft a while ago, both on and offline. In my opinion, the online sucks. It really feels like the game was made with single-player in mind. There isn't really any goal in this game. You just build things out of blocks and fight off monsters that have some serious issues with you building things out of blocks for some reason. There's a crafting system, where you arrange materials on a 3x3 grid but you're not gonna figure out how to make most of the things you can make unless you check the wiki. Really, Minecraft is only any fun if you can think of something to do. When I played it, I would think of something to build. Then I would try and build it. It wouldn't turn out the way I envisioned. I wouldn't come up with anything else to build. Then I'd say "screw it" and go play something else. Although, I haven't played in a long time and there have been a lot of updates that change up the game a lot. I heard there's magic now and you can fight dragons but I don't know much about that. You might not like it but why not review it? You don't only review games that you like. 

DaHeckIzDat1

Minecraft?

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » October 29th, 2014, 10:42 pm

I'm not sure if this is in the console versions, but there's one story-mode(ish) thing you can do in finding and killing the Enderdragon. That's supposed to be really fun to do with friends, since it includes completing a ton of other objectives to build the device that leads you to it. If not that, then the game is a cool survival simulator, where you're dropped into the world and then left entirely to your own devices. In that regard, it can be fun either as single player or multiplayer. The thing I find most intriguing (even though I have yet to play it) is that the world constructs itself randomly with each new game. You literally will never play the same game twice. Oh, and if you're not interested in playing online, it does support splitscreen for up to four players, but I'm not sure how well that works in a freeroam hand like this.

Return to “Modern Gaming”