Let's Discuss: Compilation Discs

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 29th, 2014, 11:08 am

So I've been playing alot of Castlevania and Contra the past couple of nights.  It hit me.  Why the hell didn't Konami ever package all of the classic games on a disc and sell it for like $40?  The only company that seems to still do this is SEGA with their Genesis games.

Imagine a Contra Collection that had:

Contra
Super C
Contra Force
Contra III
Contra Hard Corps
Contra Shattered Solider
Neo Contra
Contra 4

I'd buy that collection without even thinking!  Toss in some extras (maybe the arcade version of Contra) and the thing sells itself.

Same thing with Castlevania.  There are so many Castlevania games they could even be douchebags about it and split it up into a couple of Volumes.

Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Castelvania III: Dracula's Curse
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Castlevania X
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Castlevania 64

Then the second volume could have all the portable games and b-side stuff that was never widely available.  

This seems like a an easy way to boost a companies bottom line.  I can't imagine it would be incredibly hard to code it or cost too much money.  Cashing in on a company's heritage is smart and the only company that seems to do it right is Nintendo.

Any other series you wish you would see a Compilation disk for?

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 29th, 2014, 12:32 pm

If Nintendo doesn't release a "Game Boy and Game Boy Advanced Mega Collection for the Wii U", they're dropping the ball on the Remaster Race.

Just saying. With the Tablet controller such a collection should sell units.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » October 29th, 2014, 10:53 pm

I'd but those. How about some Turbografyx and Neo Geo collections too. How about Double Dragon?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I agree that publishers are really missing the boat on delivering compilations of popular series of the last 20 years or so.  And the window is closing as the target audience gets older and the nostalgia factor fades.

I can only assume publishers are holding out to deliver these titles on-line in order to nickel and dime us to the full extent.

Frankly, if they released just about any compilation disc now I would buy it immediately.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 30th, 2014, 12:33 am

For some odd reason Rockstar didn't even follow the Master Chief Collection example, they just turned up the brightness of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (iOS Version) only on the Xbox 360. Why didn't they compile all the PS1/PS2 GTA's on one disc? I understand the first Grand Theft Auto aged like muddy socks but... Dropping the ball much?

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » October 30th, 2014, 12:56 am

i think these would make great compliations !!

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 30th, 2014, 10:40 pm

I got a great idea for a compilation:  There is only one game on the disc.  All the others are DLC.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » October 31st, 2014, 8:55 am

[QUOTE=snakeboy]I got a great idea for a compilation:  There is only one game on the disc.  All the others are DLC.[/QUOTE]

How about this, 20 games on the disc, but you can only play each 1x as a trial. To unlock each gameindividually for unlimited use you can pay $1.99 online. The disc itself will only cost $20 so it's a great deal.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » October 31st, 2014, 5:38 pm

A few compilations I wouldn't mind seeing:

o Final Fantasy (split into 3 phases)
o Suikoden series
o Shadow Hearts series
o King's Field (and related) series.  I know they have that cool box set, but remastered versions of the PS1 releases would be awesome.

Terry

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 31st, 2014, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]A few compilations I wouldn't mind seeing:

o Final Fantasy (split into 3 phases)
o Suikoden series
o Shadow Hearts series
o King's Field (and related) series.  I know they have that cool box set, but remastered versions of the PS1 releases would be awesome.

Terry[/QUOTE]

You hit the nail(s) on the head!

Whatever happened to Shadow Hearts? It's like that franchise disappeared off of the face of the earth.

As for Final Fantasy, here's an eBay listing for the Final Fantasy Ultimate collection (now an expensive collector's item) only released in Japan (of course):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Final-Fantasy-25th-Anniversary-Ultimate-Box-Set-Safe-Ship-from-USA-/331343135685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d259703c5

It includes 1-13.

A Suikoden compilation disc for PS3 would practically print money, if marketed right. That is, at least, if people still fancy excellent JRPGs.

Return to “Video Games General”