What FMV 'Interactive Movies' would you have in your Sega Mega CD Collection ?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm

My wife has got me Snatcher for Xmas yay ! (Yes it cost a relative fortune). So I'm now going to look at rounding out my Mega CD collection, which brings us to a genre which the system was infamous for...the FMV 'interactive movie' - you can't have a Mega CD collection without a few of these can you ?

So how many of these games would you / do you have in your collection ?
What games would you want/recommend ?

I'm initially thinking no more than 3 as, let's face it, they are mostly turds.
Tomcat Alley seems to be best both technically and 'gameplay' wise. Night Trap is a given (I'll probably go with the 32x CD version for a cleaner view of the 'acting'). Otherwise I've not had the appetite to play through more.

One stipulation if I may, no FMV rail games like Microcosm or Starblade, I'm talking about the interactive movie subgenre.

Would love to hear your recommendations and opinions of this lost in time genre.

vegas83

Postby vegas83 » November 2nd, 2014, 7:54 pm

I personally like Farenheit and Wirehead, they are decent FMV's. As you know these are not great games but they kept me entertained for a bit, they are frustrating at times with the control's.
There is decent comedy in Wirehead is worth a play through just to experience. Both games are relatively inexpensive on Ebay and would be nice to add to the collection.
Does anyone know if there is any Wild West type FMV, I know there is Mad Dog series but I consider that more action than FMV.
Good luck adding to your FMV collection.

Vegas833

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 3rd, 2014, 2:54 pm

I mostly like these FMV games(though there are some truly awful ones like Supreme Warrior).

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 3rd, 2014, 5:22 pm

I tried Slam City yesterday that is also pretty appalling as well, I think the problem with this and Supreme Warrior is they give the illusion of full control when in reality it's nothing of the sort.
That's why I mildly enjoy Tomcat Alley and Night Trap they don't try and give the illusion of full control.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 3rd, 2014, 6:21 pm

Not a big fan of FMV games in general. With that said, I own Road Avenger, which I like, if only thanks to the opening song
and Mad Dog Mc Cree.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 3rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

You could always try Corpse Killer. It's terrible! So it might be right up your alley as in its so bad it's worth the pain to laugh at it.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » November 4th, 2014, 2:09 am

I think Road Avenger, Night Trap, and Time Gal are typically the quintessential FMV games for the Sega CD. They are all "okay" but if you are a fan of FMV games then these are probably the best of the best. Road Avenger is at least interesting and Night Trap is kind of like watching a bad horror movie (like really bad).

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » November 10th, 2014, 6:55 pm

Wirehead is my favorite Sega CD game.  It's basically a Dragon's Lair that takes place inside an action movie.  Plus, it stars the guy who gets his nose bit in Batman Returns. 

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » November 12th, 2014, 5:07 am

May I suggest at least one of the Make My Music Video games? The idea is that you are so blown away by looking at their collection of "ironic" public domain video clips that you will let some of the most over the top bad actors in the universe insult you for playinfg their game, while 90's music plays in the background.  

It's the definitive Sega CD experience.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 12th, 2014, 11:29 am

It's a bizarre Sega CD trait that a lot of the games seem to have 'actors' regularly insulting the gamer !

Must have been 'edgy' in the 90's.

Return to “Classic Gaming”