Let's DIscuss DLC

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Segatarious1 » November 5th, 2014, 7:44 am

I am getting some flak on here for supposedly 'changing my stance' on DLC  - is that fair? Is all DLC created equal?

Total list of DLC, I have bought, in my lifetime :

-NSMBU 'DLC' - a whole NEW GAME starring Luigi that was hard, fast, and great. That is bad? Low value? Low Quality? No, no and no.

- MK DLC - 16 new courses for $12. Is that bad? That game epitomizes fun and quality, and the new tracks look fantastic.

Here is my take - All DLC is not created equal. When have I bought on disc DLC or day one map packs from Nintendo? Never. And I never will.

What do I care if Nintendo or a Nintendo partner releases bad, cheap DLC, like other big companies routinely do, and have done for years? I do not buy the other junk, I will not buy junk from Nintendo. I did not buy Hyrule Warriors for $60, because I feel that is price gouging for a 'B' level game, much less the DLC packs Temco made for it.

I have NOT changed my stance. The fact is, and it is undeniable, Nintendo is doing DLC far better than any other company. I am sorry if that offends you, comment section below.

HardcoreSadism1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 5th, 2014, 9:58 am

Nobody here is biased against Nintendo, nobody here is advocating the practice of DLC.

Your problem stems from double standards. It's only okay for Nintendo to test their own DLC model.

Much like only Nintendo understands hardware.

Much like only Nintendo 'does digital right'.

Much like only Grown Children enjoy anything unrelated to Nintendo.

Much like any visually beautiful AND FUN game is hollow and meaningless, unless Nintendo does it, then it's art.

scotland171

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby scotland171 » November 5th, 2014, 10:39 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I am getting some flak on here for supposedly 'changing my stance' on DLC  - is that fair? [/QUOTE]

You are an interesting fellow, and I like your threads, but you have changed your stance.

As just one example here is November 2013

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/pay-any-price-bear-any-burden-for-western-cinemtic-gaming-6648281?highlight=pay+price+western&pid=1280640199#post1280640199

In the thread you talk about more content for more money being needed to save AAA gaming with Let Rome Burn. Gentlegamer agreed with you whole heartily agreed saying "The 'AAA cinematic game' is now giving way to the paymium game, where the $60 retail product is really just a storefront you pay for the privilege of buying the rest of the game piecemeal. This is not sustainable. "

Darkrage/Vexer disagreed and you rebutted with "Ok. so you are going to pay $60 for the game, and now more content will be behind an 'optional' paywall. That's fine, but you are getting less for your money."

Now you are saying that those two Nintendo's paymium products don't contradict that feeling? Of course they do. You paid for a full game and now there is optional content to buy. You have changed your position

Here is the kicker. I dont care if your position changes, just be honest that you have come to a moified position since buying into a paymium model a few times.

gleebergloben1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 5th, 2014, 11:07 am

Steer buddy, I had an encounter with a DLC yesterday where I expect to get some flak. Nay, I DEMAND flak, like in Intellivision's B-17 Bomber.

So yesterday, I went to my local Gamestop (stop rolling your eyes!) to buy the new Call of Duty for the X-Box One (you're doing it again!). My son loves Call of Duty, but I only play the games for the Zombie or Alien Extinction mode, and I really enjoy it. I read online that for this Call of Duty you have to get the DLC upfront to play the Zombie mode.

After all that was said and done, I ended spending $117 on the game! (This is where you throw rotten tomatoes at me.) The breakdown: $60 for the game, $50 for the DLC, $3 warranty for the game, and taxes.

I get home, install, and yesterday evening my 14 year old son and I start playing. And guess what? No, go ahead and guess. Yep that's right, no Zombies!!!! It turns out we have to play one map, get to level 50, then another, get to level 75, then another map and get to level 1000, then wear a tutu and sing the Smiths "Girlfriend in a Coma" in our local town square while jumping up and down.

I shell out $117 bucks for a game including DLC, and I don't even have access to the game I want.

Again, if you don't call me a pinhead, idiot, or a knuckle-dragging troglodyte, I shall be supremely disappointed.

Segatarious1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Segatarious1 » November 5th, 2014, 6:43 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Segatarious]I am getting some flak on here for supposedly 'changing my stance' on DLC  - is that fair? [/QUOTE] You are an interesting fellow, and I like your threads, but you have changed your stance. As just one example here is November 2013 http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/pay-any-price-bear-any-burden-for-western-cinemtic-gaming-6648281?highlight=pay+price+western&pid=1280640199#post1280640199 In the thread you talk about more content for more money being needed to save AAA gaming with Let Rome Burn. Gentlegamer agreed with you whole heartily agreed saying "The 'AAA cinematic game' is now giving way to the paymium game, where the $60 retail product is really just a storefront you pay for the privilege of buying the rest of the game piecemeal. This is not sustainable. " Darkrage/Vexer disagreed and you rebutted with "Ok. so you are going to pay $60 for the game, and now more content will be behind an 'optional' paywall. That's fine, but you are getting less for your money." Now you are saying that those two Nintendo's paymium products don't contradict that feeling? Of course they do. You paid for a full game and now there is optional content to buy. You have changed your position Here is the kicker. I dont care if your position changes, just be honest that you have come to a moified position since buying into a paymium model a few times.[/QUOTE]

Here is the difference. Both NSMBU and MK8 were full products, for full pirce. In my opinion, AAA quality games, worthy of a full price, 'day one' buy. Both games were full featured and complete at purchase.

New Super Luigi is entirely new levels. It is the best 2D platformer Nintendo has made for many many years. It is not cheap, it was not content withheld, it was not 'tacked on'' It even received its OWN retail release, and deservedly so.

Mario Kart 8 game with 32 tracks, which is STANDARD for the series, since the first Mario Kart Wii or DS or whichever created the new Mario standard - 16 new tracks, 16 retro tracks. So that DLC is not like I paid full price and then paid $12 for the retro courses. I paid $12 for 16 NEW courses on top of the 32 I already received. That is an expansion.

So yes, both exps of DLC I have bought, the only DLC I have ever bought, are full fledged expansions.

Not to mention the extra incentives, rebates, and extra game I got with my MK 8 purchase in the first place!

Gleeb - lol, I like that. no offense but that would make me sick to my stomach, but I am pretty cheap...

ActRaiser1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 5th, 2014, 7:35 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
What do I care if Nintendo or a Nintendo partner releases bad, cheap DLC, like other big companies routinely do, and have done for years? I do not buy the other junk, I will not buy junk from Nintendo. I did not buy Hyrule Warriors for $60, because I feel that is price gouging for a 'B' level game, much less the DLC packs Temco made for it.

I have NOT changed my stance. The fact is, and it is undeniable, Nintendo is doing DLC far better than any other company. I am sorry if that offends you, comment section below.[/QUOTE]

eh, you're negating that Hyrule warriors is published by Nintendo, that makes it a Nintendo game regardless of the developer.  Nintendo is getting money from all DLC purchased.

There's a pretty good article at Kotaku that seems fair and unbiased when they look at Nintendo's DLC stance.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-strange-two-year-journey-into-dlc-1641525034

Regardless of what you think, Nintendo is trying new things and seeing where it can grow revenue without upsetting its core customers.

Segatarious1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Segatarious1 » November 5th, 2014, 8:48 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser][QUOTE=Segatarious]

I have NOT changed my stance. The fact is, and it is undeniable, Nintendo is doing DLC far better than any other company. I am sorry if that offends you, comment section below.[/QUOTE]

eh, you're negating that Hyrule warriors is published by Nintendo, that makes it a Nintendo game regardless of the developer.  Nintendo is getting money from all DLC purchased.

There's a pretty good article at Kotaku that seems fair and unbiased when they look at Nintendo's DLC stance.

http://kotaku.com/nintendos-strange-two-year-journey-into-dlc-1641525034

Regardless of what you think, Nintendo is trying new things and seeing where it can grow revenue without upsetting its core customers.[/QUOTE]

No, obviously I am aware of that.

And I did not buy the GAME or the DLC. So that would be consistent, no?

Sut1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Sut1 » November 6th, 2014, 3:12 am

I'm still failing to see how a 'track pack' on Mario Kart is any different to a 'map pack' on Killzone.
Both just give you new environments to play the same game, both throw in additions such as new items and characters in Mario Kart, new weapons and character classes in Killzone.

Your right all DLC isn't created equal, but DLC is designed to keep you in a games Eco-system, perhaps this is a good thing for Wii-U given the low number of releases ? Then it makes sense for Nintendo to try and increase the lifespan of the titles that are already out there.

Oltobaz1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 6th, 2014, 5:04 am

Like I mentioned once, it's ok not to like DLC, up until something you
subjectively like pops up. That's pretty much all there's to this discussion.
Of course, one may argue New Luigi is a standalone release, and I'd agree,
the game did get a physical release (the route I personnally took), and you
don't need New Mario to run New Luigi anyways. Can't say the same about
Mario Kart, DLC is DLC, no matter the appeal. As great as this additionnal content
is, we've seen the same stuff on PS3/360 for years, all kinds of deals, good or bad,
yet always with some degree to appeal to whatever niche of gamer they were aimed
at. Nintendo is now going that route, and so are you, Steer. That's ok. Can we move on ?

Segatarious1

Let's DIscuss DLC

Postby Segatarious1 » November 6th, 2014, 7:50 am

Did anyone else read Gleeb's post?

THAT is the kind of DLC I have criticised. Also, this : http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/destinys-ondisc-dlc-discovered-7154145?pid=1284943012#post1284943012

We can move on, when you stop having it both ways. This MK DLC is coming a HALF a year after the game released, with another about a full year AFTER the game released. That is vastly different than chopping up a FINISHED game and releasing it piecemeal, for high additional costs. Like $116 bucks for a $60 game.

That is not what I am buying, and not what I cirtitcised. DLC has a bad rep for a reaosn, and it did not get that bad rep from Nintendo.

Return to “Video Games General”