Samus is a Girl

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Samus is a Girl

Postby scotland171 » November 11th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Looking at Nintendo's amiibo figurine of Samus of Metroid. For a toy, its clear Nintendo has crowned her as Ms Fanservice.

Her figure reminds me of this lady from 1927. Are we okay with Samus' evolution in this way?

ptdebate1

Samus is a Girl

Postby ptdebate1 » November 11th, 2014, 7:01 pm

But...Samus has always been a hot chick...

[083010_metroidotherm_obs01--article_image]

velcrozombie1

Samus is a Girl

Postby velcrozombie1 » November 11th, 2014, 7:06 pm

I'm not sure what I expected when I started searching for "samus amiibo", but it wasn't anywhere near as outrageous as your reaction lead me to believe. I did go back and look up the images for the Metroid Prime series and yeah, the suit on those games were nearly asexual (the waist is a little thin for a male), whereas there is a clear femininity below the waist in the Amiibo figure. There's no emphasis on the chest and the shoulder pads are still awfully bulky, so I don't personally feel that the figure goes overboard when taken as an isolated design. However, if part of the appeal of Samus is that her suit should be androgynous then yes, they are ignoring one of the things that makes her a fun character.

Having said that, it's not like Zero Suit Samus doesn't already exist. In some ways the ship has already sailed.

scotland171

Samus is a Girl

Postby scotland171 » November 11th, 2014, 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=velcrozombie] In some ways the ship has already sailed.[/QUOTE]

Of course you are right, but "Samus is a Girl" is also a neat concept.

As Atarifever said, we have seen these Ninty characters in games alot, but seldom as figurines. This is a chance to reinvent, reboot, retool, or retrench a character. And this is how they went. Its not scandalous, but it is like if we found out Darth Vader was Luke's mom (surprise) in Empire, and in Return Vader's armor suddenly has a waif thin waist and thigh high boots.

Nintendo should cultivate the family friendly brand, and Disney has shown you can be incredibly mercenary and profitable and keep a squeaky clean image. Since these are toys, why not make them cool and family friendly.

Greisha1

Samus is a Girl

Postby Greisha1 » November 11th, 2014, 8:02 pm

Looks like the robot in Metropolis.

Greisha1

Samus is a Girl

Postby Greisha1 » November 11th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Heh. I think I should face palm myself.

velcrozombie1

Samus is a Girl

Postby velcrozombie1 » November 11th, 2014, 9:47 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17] Nintendo should cultivate the family friendly brand, and Disney has shown you can be incredibly mercenary and profitable and keep a squeaky clean image. Since these are toys, why not make them cool and family friendly. [/QUOTE]

Taking into consideration both the projected audience for Amiibos (assuming it will be comparable to that of Skylanders) and Nintendo's mission as a company I totally agree with you.

...do I still get my Bayonetta Amiibo?

Gentlegamer1

Samus is a Girl

Postby Gentlegamer1 » November 12th, 2014, 4:28 pm

[iCxaMYO9fiDVA] 

Return to “Video Games General”