New Mario Kart DLC examplifies Nintendo's respect for game buyers.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 14th, 2014, 7:10 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Here's another atrocious example of buggy games released before it was ready.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/03/smash-bros-3ds-glitch_n_6095950.html

Being banned for 136 years for online play due to a glitch?  You'd think they'd take some pride in their work.  It's amazing anyone would buy such a piece of crap?  Am I right?

Or how about the same game causing the circle pad to get destroyed after only a few hours of play?

http://kotaku.com/24-hours-in-playing-smash-bros-on-my-3ds-is-wrecking-1644450677

You'd think someone would quality test the software before release.  I mean sure Nintendo can now sell a few more 3DSes due to them breaking, but that's not exactly good for consumers.  However, it is great for Nintendo as they need the cash.

Anyone remember Skyward's game breaking issue?

http://kotaku.com/5865426/game-breaking-skyward-sword-bug-confirmed-heres-how-to-avoid-it

It was pretty much posted on all the websites.  Unless you had multiple saves you had to completely start over.  Talk about humping over your audience.   

Kudos on another excellent idea for a thread!  Can anyone else think of super buggy, game breaking bugs from Nintendo?  I agree a class action lawsuit against Nintendo is in order.  They clearly can't take the time to get things right without requiring patches.  Frankly, it's embarrassing.

[/QUOTE]

Is this a joke post?

1 - 1 little online bug = the mess that is Ass Creed Unity? Really?

2 - a few overzealous 3Ds owners busted their pad, and uploaded pictures - wow!

3. Skyward Sword had on obscure,, game wrecking save glitch - wow!

You are on fire my friend - who can rebut your fantastic examples of molehills against mountains?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 14th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Obscure? They even made a fix available for it via the Wii Shop since it was so common. And many Twilight Princess players on the same system encountered a similar bug dozens of hours in and had to send their save file to Nintendo on a SD card in order to continue their progress where they left off. 

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » November 14th, 2014, 8:33 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Or how about the same game causing the circle pad to get destroyed after only a few hours of play?[/QUOTE]That is entirely the fault of the player. You don't have to push the circle pad so hard that you break it just to pull off a smash attack. This is on par with those people that threw Wii remotes at their TVs and blamed Nintendo for the damages.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 15th, 2014, 4:14 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Obscure? They even made a fix available for it via the Wii Shop since it was so common. And many Twilight Princess players on the same system encountered a similar bug dozens of hours in and had to send their save file to Nintendo on a SD card in order to continue their progress where they left off. [/QUOTE]

Leo, my point stands. It only affected a small number of people, but Nintendo has pride, so they fixed it, even though it was not a practical method of fixing for with game player or Nintendo.

So, I keep seeing that example, going back to 2006!!!! to find a bad Nintendo bug. Wow, is that really comparable to the disastrous launches of Ass Creed Unity or  Battlefield 4 by EA? It is a terrible counter argument, and self defeating, and frankly sad. Act Raiser would rather try to smear Nintendo than demand quality games from Ubisoft. I mean BASIC QUALITY, as in the game works reasonably well after you spend $60 for it.

Instead, they shipped a disaster, and then they get defended for it, on this board, by a moderator? This must be gamer altruism, and such is strange to me.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 15th, 2014, 4:59 am

The 3DS Smash Bros Actraiser brought to light is actually embarassing.
A vs fighter with a glitch preventing online access is a serious issue I wouldn't
dismiss. I'm sure it will be fixed, just like they had to fix Skyward's Sword. In this
day and age, games grow more complex, and it would seem these issues can't be
be avoided, no matter the company. Statistically speaking however, it's a rare occurence
when it comes to Japanese devs (not just Nintendo, fortunately).

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 15th, 2014, 7:51 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Leo, my point stands. It only affected a small number of people, but Nintendo has pride, so they fixed it, even though it was not a practical method of fixing for with game player or Nintendo.

So, I keep seeing that example, going back to 2006!!!! to find a bad Nintendo bug. [/QUOTE]

Your point doesn't stand since you're not privy to any such data so you're in no position to make any such determination about how common one was compared to the other. It saw a lot of publicity and I saw more than a few complaining, just as this time around with Assassin's Creed. It should also be said that plenty of people are playing through this latest Ubisoft release and similarly, aren't getting stuck in haybales and other such major issues (And they seem easily recoverable from... unlike game ending bugs in long adventure games). 

And Skyward Sword was a late Wii release, not a 2006 release. Why are you ignoring recent examples that have already been stated and acting like Twilight Princess was the only incident? Bugs stink, every game has bugs, and no developer is immune to them. We usually never know about these issues, look the other way when they do happen, and sometimes are even entertained by them. But we're largely unaffected by them since they're isolated incidents.

But sometimes, they're just too negative to ignore due to their severity and/or frequency. No developer should be given a pass. If anything, you should be ashamed of yourself as a Nintendo fan. You promote these ideas at every turn, yet relax your standards at the same time for the company you hold up as the model that others show strive to follow.

Yet you're making excuses for them and trying to minimize such things when folks have tried to point out that even Nintendo is also guilty here (Mind you, not to the same degree that Ubisoft is since they definitely seem to be falling into the trap that the Critic has been warning about for a decade now about shipping unfinished product with paying customers serving as testers... but they're also still guilty of glaring software and online connectivity issues).

You're just never going to get it, I'm afraid. Nintendo isn't this perfect company that you think it is when you face Redmond twice a way chanting your praise and loyalty. They screw up in a multitude of ways, too.

Yet beyond perhaps a token note of criticism once a year like you think you're fooling anyone (And it's usually more a poorly veiled criticism of the competition), you routinely seem unable to recognize this.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 15th, 2014, 9:04 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]The 3DS Smash Bros Actraiser brought to light is actually embarassing. A vs fighter with a glitch preventing online access is a serious issue I wouldn't dismiss. I'm sure it will be fixed, just like they had to fix Skyward's Sword. In this day and age, games grow more complex, and it would seem these issues can't be be avoided, no matter the company. Statistically speaking however, it's a rare occurence when it comes to Japanese devs (not just Nintendo, fortunately).[/QUOTE]

Olto, please.

Are you really suggesting that the complete disaster known as the Assassins Creed Unity launch is comparable to a few isolated bugs in otherwise EXTREMELY sound and well tested games? Is that the point you are trying to make? Do you feel Ass/Creed/U is an acceptable and successful level of bug testing and QA work?

And if you are not, then what is your point?

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » November 15th, 2014, 9:43 am

There are so many things wrong with this thread.......and the subject matter. First of all, it is so misleading. I don't even have a Nintendo system but I still like to read good, interesting topics. Second sentence in and bam! Let's slam the other companies. Ok, so the damage is done so I will read on. Does anyone on here really think that Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft, whoever, WANTS to upset their buying public? I thought many people on these forums work in an technical industry where that would be considered ridiculous to deliberately release something that would create such a storm. Personally, I've complained about the way my previous company did verification and validation knowing that their techniques would not catch system defects but I don't think anyone really wanted that to happen. So, I'm not sure it is a disrespect for their customers as much as it is bad testing pre-release.

As an Assassin's Creed fan, I will be getting both Rogue and Unity but I can certainly wait a few weeks until the defects are fixed. Same with Halo, although in that case, for what I want, it's completely playable now. Which brings to mind another issue. The people who buy these games after camping out and taking off work. Did they honestly expect there would be no issues? I truly 100% believe some of these people are only waiting behind the bushes to pounce on anyone they can blame for anything (graphical glitches, online matchmaking, etc.) . Posting a video on YouTube or writing an article on some obscure gaming website generates hits and thus, ad revenue.

Finally, I don't think Act Raiser would rather try to smear Nintendo than demand quality games from Ubisoft. I think he is making a point and one I think I understand. Before you call out other people for defending, take a look at this:

1) "1 little online bug" - It's little so it's ok? What happened to companies striving towards 0 defects.

2) "Skyward Sword had on obscure,, game wrecking save glitch - wow!" - Hmmmmm, I guess we can just chalk this one up to sarcasm because I don't see the defense.

3) ".....molehills against mountains". I can imagine the executives at Nintendo. It's just a molehill, so we will fix it later. A company that doesn't fix the defects should be criticized, praise should not be given to a company that does fix it.

4) "Nintendo has pride, so they fixed it". Your own thread points out a blog where the Assassin's Creed developers document what they are working on. 343 has already implemented changes for Halo. Isn't that pride also? Wait.....don't answer. I know what the reply is.

I am not going to defend the behavior of releasing games  that are glitchy and buggy but I would propose we have topics like:
Mario Kart DLC is great and here is why

and a separate topic on the rough release of Assassin's Creed and to a lesser degree, Halo. Is it that hard to do?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 15th, 2014, 9:46 am

I am not suggesting the new Ass Creed is bug free, though Leo reminded us
bugs can be dismissed/ entertaining, and yes, annoying. I must say I haven't detected
any so far, though the collision detection sucks. Certainly, in Ass Creed
case, it doesn't make the game unplayable. At least, characters got their feet right, no patch
needed in this regard. Some Smashbro players can't play online at all on the other hand, one of the game main aspect for most Vs enthusiasts
these days, and I'd have hated being this guy who can't complete Skyward Sword
after I don't know how many hours in.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 15th, 2014, 10:50 am

Personally, I'm of the opinion this was yet another asinine "Nintendo rulz; everyone else droolz" thread.

My intent was sarcasm.  Nintendo releases buggy stuff like everyone else.  And like everyone else, they'll work to fix it.  Twilight Princess' late game breaking bug was huge as well.  That type of stuff is far worse than goofy glitches.  Game breaking bugs that lose tens of hours of game progress are horrific.

Nintendo is not perfect and clearly no one else is either.  Even three year development cycles isn't enough to knock out all the kinks.  The only thing that can help is smaller in scope games and complexity.  But there's obviously trade offs with that approach.  The more complex you make something the greater the likelihood of unexpected side effects.  So, a bug free Mario game seems pretty simple when you consider it's for the most part a 2D platformer with discrete levels.  Now, compare that to an open world game with triggers for tens of thousands of interactions.  Which one do you think has the greater chance of bugs?

One can speak of quality all day long but when it's a simple game with simple functions, by God it better be bug free.  When there's a much larger scope and scale to the game then bugs are bound to pop-up.  I don't like them either but am confident that the developers will fix it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”